Potential Cap Cuts

KRL

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends what you spend. These guys don't factor into the Comp Pick formula so if you find the right pieces at the right price you can do well. We could potentially let Robby walk, spend all our money on depth from players like this, and get the comp pick from Robby for next year.

I agree with the overall sentiment though that none of these guys give me a chubby haha

What do you think are the best and worse cases for the WR group next year?

I could definitely see a Worst Case scenario where Robby departs, Enunwa never plays football again, D. Thomas continues to age and Vyncint Smith is never better than a WR4/5.  That puts a ton of pressure on the organization to both sign and draft WRs.....and there's a very good chance they don't touch WR in the Draft until Round 2 or 3.  They're really only have Crowder.

A best case IMO would involve bringing Robby back, signing a solid FA and drafting WRs in Rounds 2 and 5.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I could definitely see a Worst Case scenario where Robby departs, Enunwa never plays football again, D. Thomas continues to age and Vyncint Smith is never better than a WR4/5.  That puts a ton of pressure on the organization to both sign and draft WRs.....and there's a very good chance they don't touch WR in the Draft until Round 2 or 3.  They're really only have Crowder.

A best case IMO would involve bringing Robby back, signing a solid FA and drafting WRs in Rounds 2 and 5.

I actually like Vyncent Smith, I'm not banking on him as more than a 4th but I think he can ball. I think ultimately we need to plan for no Robby and no Enunwa.

I'd try a short term contract with one of Green/Funchess/Perriman in FA (heard Sanders may be NY bound today)

In the draft it depends how we handle FA, realistically I see OL in round 1 and then WR in round 2. It all depends who's there but Antonio Gandy Golden likely won't go too high he's someone I'd look to Target at some point or Pittman/Jefferson if they make it to our pick.

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I’d like to see us in the hunt for AJ Green, not sure how much he’ll command on the market. He’s a great player but barely suited up since 2017 ...he might have a Brandon Marshall level renaissance year or two in him still and his size and experience are just what we need....re-sign Robby and add AJ to Crowder and we don’t HAVE to go WR early..I still would love to add another younger guy like Denzel Mims to give us a really exciting group at WR. i really don’t want another Idzik Whiff on wideouts this time

i just don’t see much from Vincent Smith, he’s entirely replaceable 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I’d like to see us in the hunt for AJ Green, not sure how much he’ll command on the market. He’s a great player but barely suited up since 2017 ...he might have a Brandon Marshall level renaissance year or two in him still and his size and experience are just what we need....re-sign Robby and add AJ to Crowder and we don’t HAVE to go WR early..I still would love to add another younger guy like Denzel Mims to give us a really exciting group at WR. i really don’t want another Idzik Whiff on wideouts this time

AJ Green concerns me.  I don't think he'd be cheap despite the injuries.  And, he's an injury waiting to happen.  I'd cringe just like I used to whenever Quincy Enunwa caught a pass.  We need to get younger, more reliable players.  The problem with Free Agency is that a team is paying for a player's future whereas the player is looking to get paid for what he's done in the past.

As for Vyncint Smith, I said earlier that I don't see him as ever being better than something like a WR4.  I could be wrong, maybe he turns into a Robby Anderson type player as a WR2 or WR3.  I think he'll continue to grow but he's certainly nothing more than an interesting depth piece right now.

The Jets would be wise to bring back Robby Anderson on some type of deal that's fair to both him and the team.  The Jets will have Crowder in the slot again next year.  It's really that Z position WR the Jets need.  I'd see Robby lining up primarily as the X receiver, on the LOS and ready to run Go, Post, Slant routes which is what he does best.  What we need is a guy who can run the full route tree effectively who might line up just off the LOS, a multidimensional guy.  I think Jerry Jeudy would be perfect here in the Draft.  If we go OT in Round 1 then I'd hope to get someone like Brandon Ayuik from ASU in Round 2....similar player just not the elite guy that Jeudy is.  But for FA I'd rather go with someone other than AJ Green, although he could play both X and Z.  I'd be a little more comfortable with Emanuel Sanders if the Jets could pull that off, but I'm not sure the Jets are going to hand out two $10M+ contracts to WRs in FA this year (Anderson, Green/Sanders).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets would be wise to bring back Robby Anderson on some type of deal that's fair to both him and the team.  

Not happening.  Robby has zero reason to sign a new deal here before testing free agency.  Once he does, any "team-friendly" deal is out of question unless the market is tepid on him. 

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

If we are going to go the aging vet route, then I would rather we brought back Demaryius Thomas since he will give Sam some continuity.  Green has missed significant time due to injury in two of the past three seasons and would probably cost more than DT.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not happening.  Robby has zero reason to sign a new deal here before testing free agency.  Once he does, any "team-friendly" deal is out of question unless the market is tepid on him. 

I didn’t say that he shouldn’t test free agency. I was suggesting that the Jets bring him back and sign him in the FA period. I also don’t expect the Jets to get a team friendly deal. Robby wants to get paid but if the Jets have an offer that is competitive with another team‘a offer it would be interesting to see what Robby decides to do. Remember, the Jets are just as desperate for WR help as the teams they’ll be competing with in FA. 

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

AJ Green concerns me.  I don't think he'd be cheap despite the injuries.  And, he's an injury waiting to happen.  I'd cringe just like I used to whenever Quincy Enunwa caught a pass.  We need to get younger, more reliable players.  The problem with Free Agency is that a team is paying for a player's future whereas the player is looking to get paid for what he's done in the past.

As for Vyncint Smith, I said earlier that I don't see him as ever being better than something like a WR4.  I could be wrong, maybe he turns into a Robby Anderson type player as a WR2 or WR3.  I think he'll continue to grow but he's certainly nothing more than an interesting depth piece right now.

The Jets would be wise to bring back Robby Anderson on some type of deal that's fair to both him and the team.  The Jets will have Crowder in the slot again next year.  It's really that Z position WR the Jets need.  I'd see Robby lining up primarily as the X receiver, on the LOS and ready to run Go, Post, Slant routes which is what he does best.  What we need is a guy who can run the full route tree effectively who might line up just off the LOS, a multidimensional guy.  I think Jerry Jeudy would be perfect here in the Draft.  If we go OT in Round 1 then I'd hope to get someone like Brandon Ayuik from ASU in Round 2....similar player just not the elite guy that Jeudy is.  But for FA I'd rather go with someone other than AJ Green, although he could play both X and Z.  I'd be a little more comfortable with Emanuel Sanders if the Jets could pull that off, but I'm not sure the Jets are going to hand out two $10M+ contracts to WRs in FA this year (Anderson, Green/Sanders).

depending on FA i would go OL and get solid players they dont have to be starts but solid good players. Then go WR in round one I think that is where the best value is, linemen generally take longer to develop pass blocking where as with signing free agent OL  and getting a WR in round one we get better value for the offense

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rammagen said:

depending on FA i would go OL and get solid players they dont have to be starts but solid good players. Then go WR in round one I think that is where the best value is, linemen generally take longer to develop pass blocking where as with signing free agent OL  and getting a WR in round one we get better value for the offense

I honestly feel like the best value at #11 is going to be a WR.  Almost every mock Draft seems to flow that way.....There could be either 3 or 4 OTs taken before the first WR goes off the board.  I'd hate for the Jets to pigeon hole themselves into a "Must take an OT in Round 1" mindset.

Would OTs Josh Jones or Mekhi Becton be better players than WRs Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb?  I don't know but I don't think so.

My only reluctance with this approach is that I think good WRs will be available pretty much throughout the Draft.  The 7th or 8th best WR will be MUCH better than the 7th or 8th best OT in this Draft.  Guys like Justin Jefferson, Brandon Ayuik, Jalen Reagor, and even Denzel Mims are much better WRs than guys like Prince Wanogho, Trey Adams and Matthew Peart are OTs.  That's just my opinion and pretty much the only thing that has me second-guessing my approach above.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

any reason why?  Tail end of his career

Not sure.  The mainstream sports media is sticking OLinemen and WRs on the Jets in free agency like Pin The Tail on the Donkey!  AJ Green, Sanders, Funchess, etc. will probably all get rumored to the Jets.  Sanders wouldn't be more than a 1-2 year stopgap IMO.  Nice player but he'd fill a hole and not be a piece that's built around.

How the Jets handle WR is almost more interesting than how they handle OLine this offseason IMO.  Think about it this way....In 2019, the Jets signed Jamison Crowder to play the slot in an offense that expected to use Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson as the traditional X and Z wide receivers.  It's very likely that both of those guys are gone in 2020, and the only guys filling in behind them were older guys like Demaryius Thomas or green/unproven guys like Vyncint Smith.  Not only will it be tough to upgrade WR from 2019's plan, but just getting the WR corps back to what the Jets hoped to have with Enunwa, Robby, Crowder will be tough.  The Jets probably need to sign at least two quality Free Agents with Robby Anderson either being one of them or not.  They may need to bring back Demaryius Thomas.  Then they'll need to draft at least one WR early (first 3 rounds) and probably another one later (think a possession/size type guy on Day 3 of the Draft).  Fortunately, this Draft is loaded with WRs but the Jets can't miss the boat the way Idzik did during the last great WR draft.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:06 PM, choon328 said:

All teams have to be under the cap by day 1 of the new league year.  They are not allowed to go over the cap at any point thereafter.  You CAN NOT go over the cap to sign a player or bring a player in via a trade. Teams can be fined up to $5 million for violating this and can also have that contract or trade that took them over the cap rescinded by the league. The 49ers, Steelers and Broncos were all fined and docked draft picks for violating the salary cap rules in this way. 

+1

@Jetsfan80 You may be thinking of the decreasing roster size -- also your penis size.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly feel like the best value at #11 is going to be a WR.  Almost every mock Draft seems to flow that way.....There could be either 3 or 4 OTs taken before the first WR goes off the board.  I'd hate for the Jets to pigeon hole themselves into a "Must take an OT in Round 1" mindset.

Would OTs Josh Jones or Mekhi Becton be better players than WRs Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb?  I don't know but I don't think so.

My only reluctance with this approach is that I think good WRs will be available pretty much throughout the Draft.  The 7th or 8th best WR will be MUCH better than the 7th or 8th best OT in this Draft.  Guys like Justin Jefferson, Brandon Ayuik, Jalen Reagor, and even Denzel Mims are much better WRs than guys like Prince Wanogho, Trey Adams and Matthew Peart are OTs.  That's just my opinion and pretty much the only thing that has me second-guessing my approach above.

this is another reason why I';d like Robby signed.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this is another reason why I';d like Robby signed.

I get scared about overpaying him but I'm in agreement.  Bringing him back would be wise.  Having both Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder under contract (with a couple of younger, developmental guys like Vyncint Smith, Berrios) would make things much easier for FA and the Draft.  I'm really, really hoping the Jets find a way to swing 2 WRs in this year's Draft.  This is the year to draft both OT and WR....those are the plentiful positions and the Jets need to take advantage of that.