Mocking for the Jets: rd 2 coming up

Dcat

I'm doing a slow mock on another team message board that I do every year.  Friend of mine is a big participant there.   No trading and they usually get to the end of round 4.    So I got Thomas in round 1. (2nd time that has happened on another team message board mock for me).  Right now it's waiting on the Colts at 2.12.  I'm a bit disappointed in the remaining WRs for 2.16.  Cushenberry is still there and I'm leaning towards him if he lasts.  Okwara, lewis, Uche and Weaver are all there too.   I have to assume at least one or two more WRs  fly off before I pick:

Brandon Aiyuk
K.J. Hamler
Jalen Reagor

Michael Pittman Jr.
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Chase Claypool
Collin Johnson
Tyler Johnson
Devin Duvernay
Bryan Edwards
K.J. Hill
Van Jefferson
Antonio Gandy-Golden
Gabriel Davis
Isaiah Hodgins
Quintez Cephus
Jauan Jennings
Quartney Davis
James Proche
Lynn Bowden
  • Upvote 1

I love Weaver or Baun if either is there in Rd. 2 if you want to go Edge. 

I love Claypool if you want to go WR. He tore up the combine. The upside is immense and the production was there his last year at ND. He can step in and produce. People are sleeping on him. 

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I love Weaver or Baun if either is there in Rd. 2 if you want to go Edge. 

I love Claypool if you want to go WR. He tore up the combine. The upside is immense and the production was there his last year at ND. He can step in and produce. People are sleeping on him. 

thanks.  

That’s my fear with this WR class, by the time 48 rolls around there could be little value for that slot.  If OT is taken at 11 the smart play may be to flip one of the 3rds and move up in the 2nd.  

What WRs went at the top of the 2nd round?  

I’d take Cushenberry and run in this scenario.  

• Upvote 1

I picked Thomas in rd 1, when I could have had either Lamb or Ruggs.

Cushenberry went 2 picks before Jets.  Okwara was the best Edge on the board. And you can see the list of available receivers.  So it came down to Aiyuk vs Claypool for me.  I chose the Arizona State WR. 

Now... had I begun with Lamb/Ruggs in round 1, these would have been the available OTs with perhaps one more to account for another team taking Thomas:

Cleveland, Wilson, Peart, Wanogho.  

I am actually starting to think it would be better to go WR in 1 and OT in 2.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s my fear with this WR class, by the time 48 rolls around there could be little value for that slot.  If OT is taken at 11 the smart play may be to flip one of the 3rds and move up in the 2nd.  

What WRs went at the top of the 2nd round?  

I’d take Cushenberry and run in this scenario.  

@Dcat Sec101 captured my fear... we're in a crappy situation as the draft comes into focus. Chances are one of the OT is there at #11, but as deep as this class of WRs is, there's a measurable drop off in talent that we'll be on the wrong side of... The dream of a jefferson or Mims at #48 is just that, a dream. 

I would take Pittman and just be a peace with it. He's floor is super high, though he might top out as a stalwart #2 - so be it. I think he can be a more physical Cotchery for this offense... 

@PepPep no one's a bigger Claypool fan than myself. Would love to see him in a Green and White - but he's combine numbers don't translate on the field. He's not going to be a force on the outside, me thinks. He's fast, but the burst doesn't show up on film. He's better deployed as Eric Dekker was, an inside guy who can feast on miss matches vs slot backs and line backers... Pittman is more valuable IMO

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You are correct sir. Uless Bechton, Wirfs, or, Wills is there at 11 (they won’t be) take Jeudy or Ruggs.

Nothing against Thomas, but those Bama receivers are too good to pass up.

42 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no one's a bigger Claypool fan than myself. Would love to see him in a Green and White - but he's combine numbers don't translate on the field. He's not going to be a force on the outside, me thinks. He's fast, but the burst doesn't show up on film. He's better deployed as Eric Dekker was, an inside guy who can feast on miss matches vs slot backs and line backers... Pittman is more valuable IMO

Exactly my thoughts. He's a player that everyone was shocked at how fast he ran, and how high he jumped. The reason people were shocked was because it didn't show up in game film. As a TE I like him, as a WR not so much.....at least early.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

I picked Thomas in rd 1, when I could have had either Lamb or Ruggs.

Cushenberry went 2 picks before Jets.  Okwara was the best Edge on the board. And you can see the list of available receivers.  So it came down to Aiyuk vs Claypool for me.  I chose the Arizona State WR. 

Now... had I begun with Lamb/Ruggs in round 1, these would have been the available OTs with perhaps one more to account for another team taking Thomas:

This is how I came upon that same conclusion. Question: was Niang available at #48? He seems like a strong plug-in (or compete with Edoga) RT that could potentially flip to the left side with some development/coaching. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is how I came upon that same conclusion. Question: was Niang available at #48? He seems like a strong plug-in (or compete with Edoga) RT that could potentially flip to the left side with some development/coaching. 

My completely unprofessional and only slightly educated opinion is this....

Wirfs and Wills are the best fit at #11...maybe Thomas.  Probably not Becton.

However, Josh Jones, Niang, Jackson, Wanogho and even Peart are the exact TYPE of OT that Douglas craves.  They're not huge, powerful road graders who plow defenders off the line.....they are athletic zone-blocking guys with mobility.  I'm not saying that any of them have more pure talent than any of the Top 4.  My argument is purely about fit for the Jets scheme.  But based on the scouting reports I've seen these 5 guys are all late 1st to late 3rd round caliber prospects who fit Joe D's style.

Example...

117795226_ScreenShot2020-03-29at7_42_34PM.png.ae1d9f2792c0b1e28eaf94366cc34fe8.png

1805690429_ScreenShot2020-03-29at7_43_13PM.png.133564a3bc735d1df34ccd8cea10cb70.png

1556060889_ScreenShot2020-03-29at7_43_43PM.png.3b8b2d337a3c57409f52c55ab77c284f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Niang went at 39.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd like Aiyuk, Reagor and Pittman there at #48 in your current scenario.  But I'd also be interested in what Edge rushers and CBs are there.

Julian Okwara
Terrell Lewis
Curtis Weaver
Josh Uche

Bryce Hall
Cameron Dantzler
Noah Igbinoghene

Troy Pride Jr.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

I like what @IndianaJet in our draft better than what I did in thiers

11. Ruggs/Jeudy + 48. Cleveland/Peart/Niang

is better than what I did: 

11. Thomas + 48. Aiyuk/Reagor/Pittman/Claypool

I've now changed teams to WR at 11.  Go JD! 

I want to find some time today and go back and do a “what if” draft.  

I got an offer from the Ravens to trade all the way back to the end of the first.  I tried to get both of the Ravens 2nd rounders for the big move up but the price was just too high for him. (I think it was beer fish)

it would be Interesting to see who I could have drafted with the best offer I got, but ultimately turned down. 

9 hours ago, Dcat said:

I like what @IndianaJet in our draft better than what I did in thiers

11. Ruggs/Jeudy + 48. Cleveland/Peart/Niang

is better than what I did: 

11. Thomas + 48. Aiyuk/Reagor/Pittman/Claypool

I've now changed teams to WR at 11.  Go JD! 

I've done a ton of mock drafts now that I have so much free time to fill. At first, I was OT. Than I switched to WR. But, now I am at trade back no matter what. OT's that fit our system will be available later. On top of that, the O system does not favor a dominant #1WR you have to force the ball to. The answer is to trade back from #11, and quite honestly from any other spot if feasible, to get more picks. This team is not a few players away. They are a large injection of overall talent away, and this draft is deep at OT and WR, so if JD is good at evaluating players, he can fill those holes and others if he trades back to get more picks.