Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs: best vids I could find

Dcat

Assume WR at 11. Pick one.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. If 11 is WR, which one is your top choice?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/24/2020 at 10:00 PM

Jeudy would seem to be the most polished guy. If you take him, you're thinking he's gonna get stronger/more explosive with the help of an NFL training program, and his football intelligence will make him, at a bare minimum, a very good starter for years to come. Lamb and Ruggs look, in my amateur opinion, to have higher ceilings. So then it comes down to your belief that they're going to reach that potential. I really like Ruggs' athleticism and big hands, but he's the flip-side of Jeudy: you're concerned that when the time comes that he loses a step it just might be over for him, whereas Jeudy can probably put a very long career together just by staying healthy. Lamb looks like the one with the most "true #1 WR," potential that gets thrown around in here. I read on Walterfootball (fwiw) that he's a "known big partier but a good kid." Is that a concern? 

If Jeudy did most of his work on the outside, I think he'd be a slam dunk. As it is, a very tough call. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know that Austin Jackson or Peart would profile as first rounders in any other draft, but I think guys like Jefferson and Mims most certainly would. 

As sexy as the WR pick at #11 would be, I think this will be the mindset. And not just for Joe D, but for every team looking at both positions. I expect the OTs to fly off the board because they're a high value position that's also generally considered to be a safe pick. You're swinging for the fences with a WR, and that can backfire. The NFL old school is very conservative in that regard. 

The twist for the Jets is whether the OTs available at #11 fit what they're trying to do on the OL, and whether they actually are the BAP over the WRs there or not. I think guys like Jackson and Peart might fit what the team is trying to do better than, say, Thomas. The fact that the Jets pick five slots lower in the second than the first is another factor. Five teams picking after the Jets could pass on the OL in the first round, then have another shot at them before the Jets pick in the second. 

I'm generally a BAP guy, especially early, but if you think you're gonna be looking at borderline round one WRs in the second round, while the OTs won't be nearly as well rated, I think you have to take that into consideration. I also think the Jets have to be looking seriously at trading up from their second round pick for all of these reasons. They have the extra third rounder available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Love Lambs physicality and ability to break tackles (Big 12 defense) but Jeudy looks like he's on another level.  He cuts so damn well on a route it's not even funny. 

I think the jets are all in on lamb first, ruggs second.  I think douglas believes he can build a quality OL in rounds 2-5

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dupe said:

Jeudy, looks like a slot guy and we have a good one already.  I’m set with the guys I hoping for with the pick - Lamb, Wills, Jeudy.  There are some good alternatives but I think they are fallbacks. 

LOL @ "slot guy".  Brilliant comedy.  Best laugh of the day so far.  Thanks.  

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

By the same token none of these tackles are as clean as, say, brick.  Some of the write ups of these tackles say that some scouts see them as guards.  That’s a bit alarming.  And the nfl has changed, the new model is the chiefs.  Accumulate weapons and have a functional offensive line.  There is not just one way to get that functional OL.

The Chiefs have a former first overall pick playing OLT, and their top skills guys are a fifth round WR, a third round TE, and Sammy Watkins, who is on his third team. The thing about drafting OL in the first is that even if they don’t become HoFers, they’re usually pretty coveted long-term starters in the league (Greg Robinson and Ereck Flowers, for instance). If your receiver struggles, you can’t put them on the field. I don’t know where Douglas’ head is at right now, but I hope it’s not in a place where he makes a desperation play for a receiver at 11, no matter what.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the jets are all in on lamb first, ruggs second.  I think douglas believes he can build a quality OL in rounds 2-5

If they actually go offense with the first pick, then I might not ever care if they re-drafted Fred Biletnikoff.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Chiefs have a former first overall pick playing OLT, and their top skills guys are a fifth round WR, a third round TE, and Sammy Watkins, who is on his third team. The thing about drafting OL in the first is that even if they don’t become HoFers, they’re usually pretty coveted long-term starters in the league (Greg Robinson and Ereck Flowers, for instance). If your receiver struggles, you can’t put them on the field. I don’t know where Douglas’ head is at right now, but I hope it’s not in a place where he makes a desperation play for a receiver at 11, no matter what.

The jets are so desperate for receivers.  It could be equally desperate if they take an OT whose ceiling is B+ and don’t draft a receiver who can be top 3 in the nfl.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, slats said:

The twist for the Jets is whether the OTs available at #11 fit what they're trying to do on the OL, and whether they actually are the BAP over the WRs there or not.

This is the big variable, I guess, and it’s troubling because if they pass on, say, Wills because he doesn’t “fit the system,” and you end up firing Gase in January, then Douglas will have absolutely played himself. I’d hope they wouldn’t pass on a big OL in deference to a coach who’s got one foot on a banana peel. That’s how you become an ex-GM

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

draft a receiver who can be top 3 in the nfl.

That’s the thing, though; it’s hard to be confident that any of these receivers are close to that level. The best receiver in the game right now is Michael Thomas, who went in the second round, and he’s a slower guy who murders CBs to get to the football. Can I get a guy like that later? Michael Pittman, perhaps? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would NOT call Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs a "desperation play"under any circumstances.  Picking one of the 3 top WRs on what EVERYONE is calling a generational WR class, is not an act of desperation.  Taking a clod like Flowers in rd 1 is an act of desperation.   But uggggghh   here we go back to WR vs OL again.  Wrong thread. Sorry I added to it.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How do the teams that drafted them feel about Robinson and Flowers? 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the big variable, I guess, and it’s troubling because if they pass on, say, Wills because he doesn’t “fit the system,” and you end up firing Gase in January, then Douglas will have absolutely played himself. I’d hope they wouldn’t pass on a big OL in deference to a coach who’s got one foot on a banana peel. That’s how you become an ex-GM

This is nonsense.  So would you prefer instead to draft an OT who doesn't fit Gase's present scheme at all because Gase might get fired next January?

The hiring/firing/changing of the coaching staff doesn't enter into this because you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.  It makes sense to draft similarly ranked players according to current scheme.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Jeudy would seem to be the most polished guy. If you take him, you're thinking he's gonna get stronger/more explosive with the help of an NFL training program, and his football intelligence will make him, at a bare minimum, a very good starter for years to come. Lamb and Ruggs look, in my amateur opinion, to have higher ceilings. So then it comes down to your belief that they're going to reach that potential. I really like Ruggs' athleticism and big hands, but he's the flip-side of Jeudy: you're concerned that when the time comes that he loses a step it just might be over for him, whereas Jeudy can probably put a very long career together just by staying healthy. Lamb looks like the one with the most "true #1 WR," potential that gets thrown around in here. I read on Walterfootball (fwiw) that he's a "known big partier but a good kid." Is that a concern? 

If Jeudy did most of his work on the outside, I think he'd be a slam dunk. As it is, a very tough call. 

I only care about the term of their rookie contracts.  If Ruggs loses a step at 26 years old means nothing to me.

Just now, Dcat said:

I would NOT call Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs a "desperation play"under any circumstances.  Picking one of the 3 top WRs on what EVERYONE is calling a generational WR class, is not an act of desperation.  Taking a clod like Flowers in rd 1 is an act of desperation.

Of course! I was responding to Augustiniak’s thought hat Douglas would take a receiver at 11 even if all four tackles were on the board because the Jets are just that desperate for receiver help. That’s what I meant by “desperation play.”

FTR, my preference in a receiver for the Jets is to get a bigger guy who can navigate the underneath routes, get open, and break a CBs finger to get to the football. Darnold has vacillating confidence issues, and I think having a horse he can rely on to go get the football for him will go a long way in keeping that confidence up. None of the big three receivers really seem to be that guy, though I guess Jeudy can do that in a Marvin Harrison kind of way. The one guy I’d love them to finagle is Justin Jefferson, who has that alpha-guy #1 receiver demeanor, imo. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Of course! I was responding to Augustiniak’s thought hat Douglas would take a receiver at 11 even if all four tackles were on the board because the Jets are just that desperate for receiver help. That’s what I meant by “desperation play.”

FTR, my preference in a receiver for the Jets is to get a bigger guy who can navigate the underneath routes, get open, and break a CBs finger to get to the football. Darnold has vacillating confidence issues, and I think having a horse he can rely on to go get the football for him will go a long way in keeping that confidence up. None of the big three receivers really seem to be that guy, though I guess Jeudy can do that in a Marvin Harrison kind of way. The one guy I’d love them to finagle is Justin Jefferson, who has that alpha-guy #1 receiver demeanor, imo. 

I have been advocating for a trade down for just that reason (also Mims or Higgins, depending on just how far down the trade back would be).  That has been my plan A for a while now.  Getting an extra mid 2nd - to early 3rd is like the ONLY thing that would change my mind about drafting JeudyLambRuggs ("JLR") at 11.  Not much else, unless Arizona is suffering from buyers remorse and is wiling to send us Nuke.

• Sympathy 1

Lamb doesn’t have to be 6’3. He’s nearly 6’2...just like DeAndre Hopkins and many others before him. You can’t teach the things that Lamb does. It’s instinctual as a WR and it’s down right nasty. The way he attacks the ball in the air, his body control is art at times and he isn’t Robby Anderson, you can’t take him down on first contact. Jeudy is masterful in his own way as well. Lamb or Jeudy would make me a happy camper...but definitely want Lamb most. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is nonsense.  So would you prefer instead to draft an OT who doesn't fit Gase's present scheme at all because Gase might get fired next January?

I don’t think a guy like Wills *can’t* play in Gase’s present scheme, so it’s not like you’re putting yourself in a square-peg situation. If Douglas has him graded as a 10 and Lamb as an 8, he shouldn’t dock Wills two points because Dowell Loggains has a preference.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lamb doesn’t have to be 6’3. He’s nearly 6’2...just like DeAndre Hopkins and many others before him. You can’t teach the things that Lamb does. It’s instinctual as a WR and it’s down right nasty. The way he attacks the ball in the air, his body control is art at times and he isn’t Robby Anderson, you can’t take him down on first contact. Jeudy is masterful in his own way as well. Lamb or Jeudy would make me a happy camper...but definitely want Lamb most. 

was waiting for your opinion on this. 

Yowsa. 

I'll be happy as a clam if JD drafts Lamb!

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

was waiting for your opinion on this. 

Yowsa. 

I'll be happy as a clam if JD drafts Lamb!

I think the most impressive part of Lamb’s route running that doesn’t get brought up is that he has a keen awareness to break off routes and sit in the soft spot of the defense when his QB (Jalen Hurts) is moving out of the pocket and extending a play. This is important for a QB like Sam Darnold who likes to do the same amount of play extending. Lamb and Darnold will click as easy as Crowder and Darnold did. Lamb understands how to adjust and get open amidst pocket chaos.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t mean it like that.  The intent was that douglas may well pass on a top 4 tackle b/c he can draft a top playmaking wr and has enough confidence that he can draft competent tackles down the line.  I also wouldn’t be surprised if at least one of the tackles we all think are top 10 material are rated on his board closer to 20 and josh jones is nearly identical to or ahead of one of them.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think the most impressive part of Lamb’s route running that doesn’t get brought up is that he has a keen awareness to break off routes and sit in the soft spot of the defense when his QB (Jalen Hurts) is moving out of the pocket and extending a play. This is important for a QB like Sam Darnold who likes to do the same amount of play extending. Lamb and Darnold will click as easy as Crowder and Darnold did. Lamb understands how to adjust and get open amidst pocket chaos.

I think lamb and darnold are a perfect match.  Jeudy not so much, darnold is much more of an improviser and jeudy is a precision route runner.  Not a knock on anyone, just about compatibility.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the thing, though; it’s hard to be confident that any of these receivers are close to that level. The best receiver in the game right now is Michael Thomas, who went in the second round, and he’s a slower guy who murders CBs to get to the football. Can I get a guy like that later? Michael Pittman, perhaps? 

Big Michael Pittman Jr fan;

I think he's worthy of our second round pick, can play outside, catch in traffic and clearly doesn't mind contact. He's also already played and had success with our quarterback.

Also, Peoples-Jones has been growing on me too. I know he doesn't quite have the production, but he's a beast of an athlete and those Michigan quarterbacks did him no favors. He's a gamble but one I'm willing to take. 

Hell, even Hamler, which isn't the type of receiver I necessarily want, would be welcome addition. 

Point is - there will be weapons we can give Darnold without having to force it in the first. Bring me offensive tackles round 1! There are 5 prospects worthy of first round grades!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think he's worthy of our second round pick, can play outside, catch in traffic and clearly doesn't mind contact. He's also already played and had success with our quarterback.

Also, Peoples-Jones has been growing on me too. I know he doesn't quite have the production, but he's a beast of an athlete and those Michigan quarterbacks did him no favors. He's a gamble but one I'm willing to take. 

Hell, even Hamler, which isn't the type of receiver I necessarily want, would be welcome addition. 

Point is - there will be weapons we can give Darnold without having to force it in the first. Bring me offensive tackles round 1! There are 5 prospects worthy of first round grades!

I understand your point, but that's not the question for this thread.  Hypothetically, if it is  one of those 3 WRs, which one do you want?  The debate of OL vs WR is not the question.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I understand your point, but that's not the question for this thread.  Hypothetically, if it is  one of those 3 WRs, which one do you want?  The debate of OL vs WR is not the question.

Fair enough. 

I voted Jeudy. Any time I see Alabama games or highlights, Jeudy is the guy that jumps out. He looks like the best player on the field. 

Route running, hands, speed and moves after the catch. 

If we take a WR round one, which I’d rather not, it better be Jeudy. I’m hoping the Lamb talk is all smokescreen. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If they go tackle in the first, then I'm hoping for two of the following three:

Pittman Jr, Claypool, and Peoples-Jones.

Give Sam a couple big boys to catch the ball. 

• Upvote 2

Quick question to ask yourself...does Jeudy work on the NFL level on the outside? He’s not an X imo. If Jeudy does work out on the outside on the pro level then there’s no down side to picking him. I’d rather not have a guy that does the exact same things as Crowder, albeit, probably, better than Crowder.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What’s scary to me about Ruggs is that if he’s this freakish amazing prospect with elite speed, hands, etc, why would he be available at 11?

I think teams view th his draft as heavy in good wrs - they're thinking they can get decent value in the 2nd rd