Geno vs Rex

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

We will never know which is what makes differing opinions so much fun :)

We have enough data at our fingertips to suggest both Sanchez and Geno sucked, and debating which one was better is a waste of time.  

And using those 2 QB's as a reason to claim Rex Ryan was actually a good coach is silly.  Rex campaigned for Mark Sanchez to get a contract extension.

And when Rex finally got decent QB play in Buffalo (Tyrod Taylor) his defense collapsed.  

John Idzik, Mark Sanchez, and Geno Smith didn't help "sabotage" Rex Ryan's career.  He did that all himself.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have enough data at our fingertips to suggest both Sanchez and Geno sucked, and debating which one was better is a waste of time.  

And using those 2 QB's as a reason to claim Rex Ryan was actually a good coach is silly.  Rex campaigned for Mark Sanchez to get a contract extension.

And when Rex finally got decent QB play in Buffalo (Tyrod Taylor) his defense collapsed.  

John Idzik, Mark Sanchez, and Geno Smith didn't help "sabotage" Rex Ryan's career.  He did that all himself.  

Never argued for the Rex is good angle. But I do believe Sanchez is/was better than Geno. Geno is maybe the dumbest QB in the NFL.

Sanchez could win on the road in the playoffs in a near-perfect situation. Geno Smith doesn't understand timezones and believes the Earth is flat (at least that is consistent, if the Earth was flat there would be no need for timezones). I wish those were exaggerations. 

Results do matter. Sanchez at least showed there was a situation where he could win in hostile road playoff games. What there is zero evidence of is that Geno has the mental makeup to ever have done that—in fact there is ample (and often hilarious) evidence he does not. Years later, every time he gets a whiff of Rex's ass, he can't help himself. He would've been exceedingly easy to rattle in situations Sanchez actually delivered.

You can argue "well Geno never got the chance" but naw, that doesn't play with me.

Done > Maybe could. Every day.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 6:30 PM, Untouchable said:

And a ton of Jets fans want him back for some inexplicable reason...

The guy is a goof and always has been. There’s a reason why Ozzie Newsome, maybe the best NFL GM of the last 25 years, bypassed his silly ass for a ST coach like Harbaugh. Despite Rex being a top flight DL coach/DC for over a decade in Baltimore.

I don’t even agree with the people who say that he’s right where he needs to be, doing analyst work for ESPN.

He sucks there too

Wait so Rex is wrong?  Geno is actually a good Qb?

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

So Rex’s point is what? That BB is not a great coach because BBs team didn’t draft a bad QB in the second round and start him as a rookie?

Rex is saying BB had the GOAT QB for 20 years.  If he had a sh t qb like Geno he would be 14 games under .500 which is BB’s record without Brady

Can’t wait to see BB have a “medical issue” and sit out next season

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Rex is saying BB had the GOAT QB for 20 years.  If he had a sh t qb like Geno he would be 14 games under .500 which is BB’s record without Brady

Can’t wait to see BB have a “medical issue” and sit out next season

I hate BB. But he won when Brady was a game manager; he won with Matt Cassel; he won with Jimmy G; and he won with Jacoby Brisset. BB doesn’t win only because of Brady. It helps. But it’s not the only reason he wins. 

And what HC wins with a bad QB anyway?  Yeah, no one is winning with Geno, but BB isn’t the guy who started Geno at QB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

I hate BB. But he won when Brady was a game manager; he won with Matt Cassel; he won with Jimmy G; and he won with Jacoby Brisset. BB doesn’t win only because of Brady. It helps. But it’s not the only reason he wins. 

And what HC wins with a bad QB anyway?  Yeah, no one is winning with Geno, but BB isn’t the guy who started Geno at QB.

He went 11-5 with Cassel and a roster that was 18-1 the previous season

BB won with Brisset one game at home facing Brock Osweiler 

Jimmy G is a legitimately good QB

BB is the emperor’s clothes.  He’s 14 games under .500 without Brady and the pats won’t win 6 games next year with Stidham

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wait so Rex is wrong?  Geno is actually a good Qb?

Hell no

Decent enough backup, but that’s where it ends.

But Rex seemingly can’t wait to take these little swipes through the media.

The guy is a goofy dickhole and always has been. I’ll readily give him credit for the part he played on those ‘09 and ‘10 deep playoff runs. But he was always going to be a flash in the pan either way. Even if the Jets won a SB during one of those seasons I still would’ve placed money on him being ousted within 3-4 years afterwards.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Hell no

Decent enough backup, but that’s where it ends.

But Rex seemingly can’t wait to take these little swipes through the media.

The guy is a goofy dickhole and always has been. I’ll readily give him credit for the part he played on those ‘09 and ‘10 deep playoff runs. But he was always going to be a flash in the pan either way. Even if the Jets won a SB during one of those seasons I still would’ve placed money on him being ousted within 4 years afterwards.

Rex is paid to be Rex and say outrageous things

And has Rex been wrong on these ESPN shows? Baker sucks and Geno was a garbage qb even as a backup

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rex is paid to be Rex and say outrageous things

And has Rex been wrong on these ESPN shows? Baker sucks and Geno was a garbage qb even as a backup

I don’t know 

I haven’t watched ESPN for the most part over the last 2-3 years.

Last I was aware, they had Dan Orlovsky on NFL stuff and everyone else pretty much sucked.

As far as Rex saying Baker sucks (and then eventually waffling afterwards)...so?

I and many others including yourself have been saying that Baker pretty much sucks for the last two years now. Rex holding the same viewpoint doesn’t make him some sort of football messiah. 

This is the same dude who still says that he would’ve taken Josh Allen at #1 overall. A guy who I’m a bigger fan of than most around here and preferred over Baker, but still wouldn’t even dream of taking him over Lamar or Darnold for the next decade.

If Geno had an IQ above 70, all he'd say every time Rex opened his mouth is, "Rex has a lot more free time than me right now. When my NFL career is also over, I'd love to meet him for a coffee and have a nice debate."

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know 

Last I was aware, they had Dan Orlovsky on NFL stuff and everyone else pretty much sucked.

As far as Rex saying Baker sucks (and then eventually waffling afterwards)...so?

I and many others including yourself have been saying that Baker pretty much sucks for the last two years now. Rex holding the same viewpoint doesn’t make him some sort of football messiah. 

This is the same dude who still says that he would’ve taken Josh Allen at #1 overall. A guy who I’m a bigger fan of than most around here and preferred over Baker, but still wouldn’t even dream of taking him over Lamar or Darnold for the next decade.

Mayfield going to have a huge rebound year next year. Who sucked is Freddie Kitchens. The guy was a OC for 8 minutes before Dorsey promoted him to HC, specifically for the reason that Freddie wouldn't have to juice to challenge him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know 

Rex along with Colin Cowherd were the only sports media guys who said Baker sucked before it became obvious to everyone on earth

I’m just amazed at the hatred this guy gets on this board he’s statistically the jets most successful coach since Ewbank

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Mayfield going to have a huge rebound year next year. Who sucked is Freddie Kitchens. The guy was a OC for 8 minutes before Dorsey promoted him to HC, specifically for the reason that Freddie wouldn't have to juice to challenge him.

? 

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The only QB BB has won anything with is Tom Brady.  His record is far worse than Rex's record without Tom Brady.  He's only made 1 playoff appearance without Tom and that was a wild card Beth with Vinny.  Vinny won a division title under Parcells.

Parcells made 3 SBs(winning 2) without a HOF QB, he made the playoffs with 6 different QBs, none of them HOFers.

Gibbs won 3 SBs without a HOF QB.

Noll made an AFC championship game with Bubby Brister

Shula made a SB with David Woodley

I can go on and on.  BB has only been able to succeed with the greatest QB of all time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The only QB BB has won anything with is Tom Brady.  His record is far worse than Rex's record without Tom Brady.  He's only made 1 playoff appearance without Tom and that was a wild card Beth with Vinny.  Vinny won a division title under Parcells.

Parcells made 3 SBs(winning 2) without a HOF QB, he made the playoffs with 6 different QBs, none of them HOFers.

Gibbs won 3 SBs without a HOF QB.

Noll made an AFC championship game with Bubby Brister

Shula made a SB with David Woodley

I can go on and on.  BB has only been able to succeed with the greatest QB of all time.

It takes a great QB and great coach combo to create a dynasty Noll/Bradshaw, Landry/Staubach, Lombardi/Starr, Walsh/Montana., BB/Brady. That IS the formula. The only outliers are Joe Gibbs, the greatest of all-time because he won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs; and Peyton Manning because he won 2 SB's with different HCs/Organizations. 

I don't know how great BB will be without Brady, but he certainly is not a bad HC and Rex is nowhere in BB's league.

One last thing..... Shula/Woodley .... you're kidding right? Shula had one of the greatest QB's of all time -- Marino -- and won squat with him.   

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It takes a great QB and great coach combo to create a dynasty Noll/Bradshaw, Landry/Staubach, Lombardi/Starr, Walsh/Montana., BB/Brady. That IS the formula. The only outliers are Joe Gibbs, the greatest of all-time because he won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs; and Peyton Manning because he won 2 SB's with different HCs/Organizations. 

I don't know how great BB will be without Brady, but he certainly is not a bad HC and Rex is nowhere in BB's league.

One last thing..... Shula/Woodley .... you're kidding right? Shula had one of the greatest QB's of all time -- Marino -- and won squat with him.   

and gruden/johnson and billick/dilfer and ditka/mcmahon (examples of average qb's winning).  the thing is those teams were all loaded on one side of the ball (defense) so the qb really didn't have to do too much.  and i'd even throw in parcells and either hoestedler or simms.  mainly hoestedler.  as for shula, griese was deceptively good at playing qb.  sure he had csonka, morris and kiick to hand off to all day long and a very good defense but he didn't make too many mistakes.  but then shula losses with arguably two of the best qb's in nfl history in unitas and marino.  go figure.

it going to be interesting to see if the patsies or the bucs have the better record.  imo the patsies will do better mainly because brady has lost some of his ability.  this break should've happened about 10 seasons ago.  then it would have some real validity.

and let's throw in levy/kelly.  they lost 4 but they also went 4 years in a row.  same thing with grant/tarkenton and reeves/elllway.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

BB without Brady:

7 full seasons

54-63, 46%

5 losing seasons

1 playoff app as a Wild Card team

1 playoff win as a Wild Card team at home (in 1994 wild card teams could host playoff games)

Rex Ryan:

7 full seasons

61-66, 48%

2 losing seasons(1 when he was sabotaged by his GM who was trying to fire him)

2 playoff apps as a wild card team

4 playoff wins including over BB on the road in Foxboro in the divisional round

2 AFC Championship Game appearances

Rex was significantly better than BB without Brady

30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

On your other points, who said anything about creating a dynasty without Brady?  He wasn't even competitive.  5 losing seasons in 7 years, 1 wild card app, 1 home wild card win.

All the great coaches that had chances with other QBs still had their teams competitive, in the playoffs.  Lombardi never really had a chance, Walsh never really had a chance but check the other HOF HCs.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:05 AM, Jetlife33 said:

Former Jets QB Geno Smith lays waste to Rex Ryan after diss

'My momma never liked dude he been a snake'

By Danny Abriano | 4:34PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) watches prior to an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals, Monday, Oct. 17, 2016, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)  (Ross D. Franklin/AP) New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) watches prior to an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals, Monday, Oct. 17, 2016, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin) (Ross D. Franklin/AP)

Former Jets head coach Rex Ryan has been saying some questionable things recently, including when he referred to Amari Cooper as a "turd" for no apparent reason.

On Wednesday, Ryan took aim at Geno Smith, dissing him as part of a way to also take a shot at Bill Belichick (while still saying Belichick would have been a Hall-of-Fame coach even without Tom Brady).

"Let's give him Geno Smith. Let's give him whoever, and let's see how many Super Bowls he would have won," Ryan said during an appearance on First Take on ESPN.

Smith, who was the Jets' starter under Ryan in 2013 and 2014 shot back in multiple vitriol-filled tweets.

"My momma never liked dude he been a snake.. and y'all glorify it.. should've got fired after yr1.. truth is we won 8 games after ESPN had us winning two and he got his job back.. somehow I'm caught up in a feud and I'm the scapegoat.. Same guy that drafted me," Smith said while also referring to Ryan as a "silver spoon baby."

"I could honestly go on and on about the bs I see but truthfully I'm so happy I don't even bother," Smith added. "God put me in this position where even my enemies gotta mention my name.. so I just sit back and watch the show!"

Rex saying that Bill can win it all with Geno Smith just shows how good of a Coach Bill was in relation to other coaches...including Rex. That's not a diss on Geno given that Bill probably could win one with Geno as QB. 

Goes to show how players can be ruined by overrated coaches. 

16 minutes ago, legends of the fall said:

Rex saying that Bill can win it all with Geno Smith just shows how good of a Coach Bill was in relation to other coaches...including Rex. That's not a diss on Geno given that Bill probably could win one with Geno as QB. 

Goes to show how players can be ruined by overrated coaches. 

I don't think you understand what Rex was saying.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

On your other points, who said anything about creating a dynasty without Brady?  He wasn't even competitive.  5 losing seasons in 7 years, 1 wild card app, 1 home wild card win.

All the great coaches that had chances with other QBs still had their teams competitive, in the playoffs.  Lombardi never really had a chance, Walsh never really had a chance but check the other HOF HCs.

I can’t wait to see the immortal BB go 8-8 with Geno Smith and the worst roster in the nfl

On 4/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, johnnysd said:

I live in San Diego and I can say from experience that completely messing up time zone shifts is WAY easier to do than people realize. Geno did a lot of dumb crap, but reality is that this one is actually a pretty common mistake to make. I work sales on the West Coast and sometimes when I have a conference call scheduled with the east coast I have double corrected for the time difference and wound up missing it, especially when times are given as East Coast times. 

I guess as I know for certain I'm not perfect myself. At the same time he's in the top one percent of his field and has every resource available to him. I also imagine in sales, if you're traveling regularly, your chances of forgetting are more likely than a person making just a couple highly scripted and publicized road trips each season.

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

and gruden/johnson and billick/dilfer and ditka/mcmahon (examples of average qb's winning).  the thing is those teams were all loaded on one side of the ball (defense) so the qb really didn't have to do too much.  and i'd even throw in parcells and either hoestedler or simms.  mainly hoestedler.  as for shula, griese was deceptively good at playing qb.  sure he had csonka, morris and kiick to hand off to all day long and a very good defense but he didn't make too many mistakes.  but then shula losses with arguably two of the best qb's in nfl history in unitas and marino.  go figure.

it going to be interesting to see if the patsies or the bucs have the better record.  imo the patsies will do better mainly because brady has lost some of his ability.  this break should've happened about 10 seasons ago.  then it would have some real validity.

and let's throw in levy/kelly.  they lost 4 but they also went 4 years in a row.  same thing with grant/tarkenton and reeves/elllway.

The coach qb combos i cited were dynasties. Yours were not. Not sure you understood my point.