NFL to improve team's Draft position if it hires person of color for GM, Head Coach positions (MERGED)

31 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Don't care if they are proposing a 1 spot bump in the 7th, soon as you start to treat people different based on race it all goes downhill.

People of color have been getting treated differently on the basis of race since pretty much the dawn of human existence.  

And no, this isn't an instance of "reverse racism".  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, KRL said:

I guess this nonsense has come up because Eric Bienemy (KC - OC) didn't
get a job this cycle.  But my view is Bienemy has been a "hot candidate"
the last 2 years (the Jets interviewed him) and he hasn't gotten past
the initial process.  Is that because of racism or could it be Bienemy
doesn't interview well?  Since the Jets haven't had a problem hiring
black coaches, I think Bienemy hasn't been impressive in the interviews.
He needs to work on that not be given a job because of his color

Whether or not Bieniemy was the straw that broke the camel's back, the overall data reflects that black and minority coaches have seen a downturn in opportunities. 

I think the better example of unfair practices might be when Arizona fired Steve Wilks after just 1 season.  Though at least he was able to immediately fall back to a DC position with the Browns, I suppose.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s not about the sport it’s about appeasing a small percentage of the population with an asinine PC gesture. Just let the best person get the job no matter what the job is. Outside of the giants there’s not one racist team out there. Teams would hire a gay purple midget if it helped them win. 

Please.  Houston Texans owner Bob McNair once said during an NFL Owners meeting that you can't "have the inmates running the prison."  At least several of the 32 owners  (nearly all older white men) in the league are racist. 

The racist attitudes may not be reflected in a lot of the hiring practices or the way they conduct business, but you're putting on blinders now if you really think there aren't race-related problems in the NFL from a hiring standpoint.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, The Walrus said:

So you admit treating people different based on color isn't a good thing and you insist it continues.

No.  As I said in my final sentence of the post, this isn't reverse racism.  This isn't white people coming under attack. 

The idea of building a pipeline of black and minority HC/GM candidates is an attempt to level the playing field, not swing the scales.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  As I said in my final sentence of the post, this isn't reverse racism.  This isn't white people coming under attack. 

The idea of building a pipeline of black and minority HC/GM candidates is an attempt to level the playing field, not swing the scales.  

Building a pipeline for blacks because they were treated differently by continuing to treating blacks differently. There is no reverse racism, there is just racism.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This new rule proposal will not work and its not well thought out in terms of fixing the problem.  But the idea that meritocracy is actually a real thing in most industries is also crap and has been thoroughly dismantled.  This has especially been proven to not be true in the NFL, where up until recently it was incredibly difficult to become a black QB or later a black QB coach, which is the strongest path towards achieving an HC job.  

The NFL has always been a good old boys club.  Some measure of incentive for building a stronger pipeline of black and other minority HC's and front office execs is a good thing.  

Leave it to the NFL to bumble the crap out of this with an arbitrary solution. Like King P and yourself are saying, it takes about 5 minutes to figure out a way to game this system. That’s stupid. 

The other consideration though is that this is a solution that doesn’t really cost money to implement, hence is attractive. Goodell has proven time and again he’s completely tone deaf to the detriment that social issues have on their brand- cough domestic violence- it’s pure bottom line with him. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This new rule proposal will not work and its not well thought out in terms of fixing the problem.  But the idea that meritocracy is actually a real thing in most industries is also crap and has been thoroughly dismantled.  This has especially been proven to not be true in the NFL, where up until recently it was incredibly difficult to become a black QB or later a black QB coach, which is the strongest path towards achieving an HC job.  

The NFL has always been a good old boys club.  Some measure of incentive for building a stronger pipeline of black and other minority HC's and front office execs is a good thing.  

Edited by Jets Voice of Reason
Double post

8 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Building a pipeline for blacks because they were treated differently by continuing to treating blacks differently. There is no reverse racism, there is just racism.

Calling it reverse racism is just the equivalent of putting blinders on to ignore the problem.  You're demonstrating a complete inability to admit that this is something worth fixing or working on, and instead just assume the scales are already level.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Inmates running the prison is a widely used statement that was only made to be offensive because the overly pc culture we currently are in. 

No, the far more common phrase/usage is inmates running the ASYLUM, not prison.  His choice of words was quite telling and noticeable.  Like a Freudian slip.  And it brought the Owners meeting to a complete hault.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Calling it reverse racism is just the equivalent of putting blinders on to ignore the problem.  You're demonstrating a complete inability to admit that this is something worth fixing or working on, and instead just assume the scales are already level.  

It's your claim. Feel free to demonstrate I said something isn't worth fixing. I'm shooting down the method, which is treating a person different based on color, not the subject. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

It's your claim. Feel free to demonstrate I said something isn't worth fixing. I'm shooting down the method, which is treating a person different based on color, not the subject. 

Since its clear there's a problem with the pipeline of black people or minorities becoming a HC or GM, the only solution is giving them increased opportunities.  If you insist on calling that "treating them differently", then yes, that's what I'm advocating. 

I think the better way of thinking about it is giving them opportunities (primarily thru networking) they didn't have previously.  Whatever you want to call that is what I'm advocating, and it's a net positive if they can figure out a better way to do it than has been proposed before.  Training programs, like the one Hines Ward was offered and was mentioned earlier in this thread, is a great start.  

None of that is reverse racism, no matter how much you want to argue that it is.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1