NFL to improve team's Draft position if it hires person of color for GM, Head Coach positions (MERGED)

‪What if a team pursues a minority candidate who chooses not to leave their current position?‬

‪My top choice to replace Gase would be David Shaw but he reportedly has no interest in coming to the NFL.

We had Herm a while back. Is there a carryback  formula? Since it was so far back, maybe the compensation gets inflated? Lost value you know? I’m guessing two first and a second should be enough. Let’s do this!

I’m not saying this is a good solution, but I find it pretty ironic that the arguments posted on here are rooted in things like “equality”, and “best person always gets the job”, when the lack of those two things are at the crux of why solutions like this are even being proposed. 

I don’t really expect anybody on here to change their personal opinion on it, but if you think there isn’t an issue in racial hiring practices in the NFL you are just being willfully ignorant about the data and what it implies. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I’m not saying this is a good solution, but I find it pretty ironic that the arguments posted on here are rooted in things like “equality”, and “best person always gets the job”, when the lack of those two things are at the crux of why solutions like this are even being proposed. 

I don’t really expect anybody on here to change their personal opinion on it, but if you think there isn’t an issue in racial hiring practices in the NFL you are just being willfully ignorant about the data and what it implies. 

Nah dude the only people qualified to be be coaches are white dudes that never played at a level greater than high school.

• Haha 1

I understand the true and real concern for true equity in hiring but this is NOT the way to achieve it.

We must recognize reality, but to put in silly markers like this, only hurts in many ways and stigmatizes the very folk you are seeking to see advance.

One Nation..

One love..

One Humanity!

New Culture of Peace Now!!

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

@Lil O is racist

I’m actually not a racist. That’s just silly. I also don’t think that this is a good idea so I agree that the best person should be hired. What I don’t like is the fact that we’re talking about something that involves minorities and race.  I simply down devoted your post because I didn’t like the post and you, not knowing me from Adam, have insulted me by calling me a racist.  I didn’t call you or anyone else a racist.  I don’t know you. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Lil O said:

I’m actually not a racist. That’s just silly. I also don’t think that this is a good idea so I agree that the best person should be hired. What I don’t like is the fact that we’re talking about something that involves minorities and race.  I simply down devoted your post because I didn’t like the post and you, not knowing me from Adam, have insulted me by calling me a racist.  I didn’t call you or anyone else a racist.  I don’t know you. 

I don’t like your post either. Racist

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Same here. I personally think what is needed is more Player to Coach intern programs a la what hines ward is for us and other such training/networking programs. What they need is a test model of it being successful for teams because If owners think it’ll give them a competitive advantage it will catch on. 

Way too reasonable and thought out. 

• Haha 3

Seriously though, is a lack of minority coaches really a thing?

I feel like there have been a pretty substantial number through the years. 

Could probably use a few more GM's though.  Ozzie and McKenzie are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29180225/nfl-proposal-improve-draft-picks-minority-hires

NFL is looking to reward teams for hiring minority coaches/front office personnel 

It seems they get the racism backwards. Hiring someone based on their skin color and not the best person for the job is racist in my book. I’m not aware of any rules that prevent teams from hiring minorities. 

Are you a minority?

If so, I DEMAND we close the other thread and let this one have a chance!

• WTF? 1

50 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Same here. I personally think what is needed is more Player to Coach intern programs a la what hines ward is for us and other such training/networking programs. What they need is a test model of it being successful for teams because If owners think it’ll give them a competitive advantage it will catch on. 

I like where you are going with this, Jets Voice.

There is a definite problem with the lack of hiring minorities. The problem I have with this idea is it is potentially unfair to the the teams who get leapfrogged and drop down the draft order. It could encourage teams to hire minority coaches for the sole purpose of maintaining their draft position.

There must be a better way and I have no idea what it is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They're proposing a 6-spot bump in the 3rd round and a 4th round improvement if the coach or GM lasts through year 3. Calm down Karens.

Don't care if they are proposing a 1 spot bump in the 7th, soon as you start to treat people different based on race it all goes downhill.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I feel like this wasnt thought through. It's patronizing at best.

The biggest loophole is a team constructed like New England, where Belichick is both the HC and GM.  They shouldn't be able to exploit this incentive by hiring a black "GM" who doesn't really do anything.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm sorry this upsets you. Perhaps you could think about the times that you had with the 3rd and 4th round draft picks that were conditionally 1 slot higher in the past and find some joy in those memories.

It’s not about the sport it’s about appeasing a small percentage of the population with an asinine PC gesture. Just let the best person get the job no matter what the job is. Outside of the giants there’s not one racist team out there. Teams would hire a gay purple midget if it helped them win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

‪What if a team pursues a minority candidate who chooses not to leave their current position?‬

‪My top choice to replace Gase would be David Shaw but he reportedly has no interest in coming to the NFL.

It's not always about going straight to the top of the chain and seeking out a black or minority HC.  It's about seeking, say, a black or minority WR/RB coach and making him your QB Coach.  Then developing him into your OC.  Then HC.  Like the path Byron Leftwich has taken.  And meanwhile you encourage other teams to do the same by talking up assistants of your own for other teams.  It's just simple networking that hadn't previously really been in place for many black or minority coaching candidates.

The Spurs didn't seek to become the first NBA team with a female HC, at least not right away.  They hired one to be an assistant under Pop.  Eventually, maybe she'll take over for the Spurs, or get a HC opportunity elsewhere.

• Upvote 1