Lamar Jackson on Mahomes' deal: 'I've got to get where he's at'

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jackson-on-patrick-mahomes-deal-i-ve-got-to-get-where-he-s-at

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The 2018 NFL MVP just signed a deal worth upwards of half a billion dollars. The 2019 NFL MVP hopes to one day be worth that type of guap.

Lamar Jackson knows what he must accomplish to reach the heights Patrick Mahomes climbed this year.

"I've got to win me a Super Bowl. I've got to get where he's at," Jackson told ESPN on Monday.

Asked about Mahomes' new contract, Jackson noted it's "a crazy number," but added, "he deserves it though."

Similar to Mahomes, Jackson sat the start of his career. The Ravens QB took over down the stretch in 2018 when Joe Flacco went down due to injury. Jackson never gave the job back. In his second season -- his first full campaign -- Jackson put on a show in a historic offense, earning the NFL MVP.

The Ravens entered the playoffs on a 12-game win streak and were favored to meet Mahomes' Chiefs in the AFC title game. It was not to be, as the Ravens laid an egg in a Divisional Round loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Jackson, who threw two INTs and fumbled, brushed off the postseason exit, noting that he's moved on.

"It's over with. I don't really dwell on it, like losses," he said. "It's been since January, and it's July right now. I really don't care about it now. I'm just ready for this season."

A year after Mahomes' squad came up short in the playoffs, he powered K.C. to a Super Bowl victory and took home the Super Bowl MVP before signing his massive new contract.

Jackson is looking for a similar scenario to unfold for himself in 2020.

"I'm grateful for the MVP, all that. (But) I feel like I haven't done anything yet," he said. "There is always room for improvement. I just want to keep going. ... I want to win a Super Bowl."

He'll need to get much better than as teams are watching that playoff game against the Titans. It looked like the Titans figured out how to beat him. From what I remember they cut off his outside running lanes and forced him to throw into zone coverage in the middle of the field. The guy has amazing physical ability for sure.

• Upvote 3

Every young QB will be wanting a contract like Mahomes!!! He got it by winning a Super Bowl and leading the Chiefs offense the last two years. That is something that he earned the last two years.

Dak Prescott has a delusional sense that because, he is on the Dallas Cowboys he should be paid as a elite QB. The team franchised him and he is going to receive $34 million for one year and Dak claims that's not enough to feed his family and wants $40 million. Dak doesn't deserve that amount!!! He hasn't won a Super Bowl and has only one victory in the playoffs!!!! Dak is the only one who believes he deserves that contract!!! Now he has one huge obstacle and that he doesn't have Jason Garrett anymore but Mike McCarthy running the offense.

Now Lamar Jackson has the right mindset, he knows that to get a "Mahomes" type of contract, he has to win the Super Bowl and putting up numbers all season long. Jackson's obstacle is that a lot of teams know how he plays and teams with very good defense will be making adjustments. The Ravens have to give him the weapons he needs to win and he can do it if he gets them. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, AL047 said:

Every young QB will be wanting a contract like Mahomes!!! He got it by winning a Super Bowl and leading the Chiefs offense the last two years. That is something that he earned the last two years.

Dak Prescott has a delusional sense that because, he is on the Dallas Cowboys he should be paid as a elite QB. The team franchised him and he is going to receive $34 million for one year and Dak claims that's not enough to feed his family and wants $40 million. Dak doesn't deserve that amount!!! He hasn't won a Super Bowl and has only one victory in the playoffs!!!! Dak is the only one who believes he deserves that contract!!! Now he has one huge obstacle and that he doesn't have Jason Garrett anymore but Mike McCarthy running the offense.

Now Lamar Jackson has the right mindset, he knows that to get a "Mahomes" type of contract, he has to win the Super Bowl and putting up numbers all season long. Jackson's obstacle is that a lot of teams know how he plays and teams with very good defense will be making adjustments. The Ravens have to give him the weapons he needs to win and he can do it if he gets them. 

Yup, besides winning, Mahomes from what I know, has never been a distraction in any way. Dak is in a similar position as Mahomes in that he was drafted to a great situation with talent all around him. However, unlike Mahomes he's been a distraction as my Cowboys friend (singular) has said, as well as not getting it done. If Lamar can continue to grow, refine his game, and not get injured during an ESPN highlight clip he'll get his money. 

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he understands you need to ACCOMPLISH something if you wanna get paid

You mean whining incessantly and bashing your front office on social media while playing for a loser doesn't cut it?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yup, besides winning, Mahomes from what I know, has never been a distraction in any way. Dak is in a similar position as Mahomes in that he was drafted to a great situation with talent all around him. However, unlike Mahomes he's been a distraction as my Cowboys friend (singular) has said, as well as not getting it done. If Lamar can continue to grow, refine his game, and not get injured during an ESPN highlight clip he'll get his money. 

Mahomes is on a different level from Dak.  Dak is a very good QB.  Mahomes is maybe the best I've seen ever going back to the early 60's.  If Mahomes retired today I will still consider him the GOAT because in the last 2 years it's simply the best QB play I have ever seen.  

That's a heavy lift to blame it on distractions.  Dak simply isn't in the same ballpark.  Mahomes is a very special player.  He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Mahomes is on a different level from Dak.  Dak is a very good QB.  Mahomes is maybe the best I've seen ever going back to the early 60's.  If Mahomes retired today I will still consider him the GOAT because in the last 2 years it's simply the best QB play I have ever seen.  

That's a heavy lift to blame it on distractions.  Dak simply isn't in the same ballpark.  Mahomes is a very special player.  He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL.

I wouldn't say GOAT just yet. He plays on a stacked team and in an NFL that has slanted the rules to blatantly favor the offense. Not to say he isn't great in any way, because he is playing great. While I mention the stacked team and rules I'll also mention that other players in his position have squandered the opportunity so I give him credit for not blowing it too. As you said Dak isn't in his ballpark.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jackson-on-patrick-mahomes-deal-i-ve-got-to-get-where-he-s-at

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The 2018 NFL MVP just signed a deal worth upwards of half a billion dollars. The 2019 NFL MVP hopes to one day be worth that type of guap.

Lamar Jackson knows what he must accomplish to reach the heights Patrick Mahomes climbed this year.

"I've got to win me a Super Bowl. I've got to get where he's at," Jackson told ESPN on Monday.

Asked about Mahomes' new contract, Jackson noted it's "a crazy number," but added, "he deserves it though."

Similar to Mahomes, Jackson sat the start of his career. The Ravens QB took over down the stretch in 2018 when Joe Flacco went down due to injury. Jackson never gave the job back. In his second season -- his first full campaign -- Jackson put on a show in a historic offense, earning the NFL MVP.

The Ravens entered the playoffs on a 12-game win streak and were favored to meet Mahomes' Chiefs in the AFC title game. It was not to be, as the Ravens laid an egg in a Divisional Round loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Jackson, who threw two INTs and fumbled, brushed off the postseason exit, noting that he's moved on.

"It's over with. I don't really dwell on it, like losses," he said. "It's been since January, and it's July right now. I really don't care about it now. I'm just ready for this season."

A year after Mahomes' squad came up short in the playoffs, he powered K.C. to a Super Bowl victory and took home the Super Bowl MVP before signing his massive new contract.

Jackson is looking for a similar scenario to unfold for himself in 2020.

"I'm grateful for the MVP, all that. (But) I feel like I haven't done anything yet," he said. "There is always room for improvement. I just want to keep going. ... I want to win a Super Bowl."

This kid is a class act. Says all the right things, and balls out every week.

He and Mahomes are looking like the next big thing to hit the NFL.

The road to AFC title will go through them now, just like it used to with Brady and Manning.