Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nycdan

The argument for changing the coach now

Recommended Posts

I like Sam and think he will be around the NFL for awhile. 

But I think the Jets win more games from 2021-2024 if they keep Gase this season and thus tank the season for a draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'll admit it.  Today was the day that nearly broke my hope that Darnold could be our Franchise QB.  My hope went up during the first half but plummeted during the 2nd half.  I was hoping he'd stand up and show us he could be that guy so we might have options if we get the #1 pick and wouldn't be crushed if we didn't.  Because the thought of missing in TL and watching Sam become Sanchez is terrifying.

But here's where I came out on it.  I don't know if Sam is the guy, but with this coaching staff in place, we can not find out anything more about him.  He can't succeed in this putrid offensive scheme.  Not sure how many QBs can.  Obviously Tannehill thrived once he escaped from it so that's at least one argument that this is the case.

But if we bring in a coach, interim of course, but a coach who can put Sam and the OL and WRs in a position to be even marginally better, then we can evaluate him more thoroughly and if he shows he is what we thought he was, then he could be our guy, or at least have more trade value if we move him.  Right now, we learn nothing and the only benefit I see to Gase staying on is saving the Johnson's some coin.  Yeah, we could argue that Gase gives the tank the most chance to succeed but I don't think that's what's going on.  I think the Johnson's just don't see that they are wasting this season of evaluating not just Darnold, but all the young talent on the roster to see what we have going forward.  Instead we are watching an incompetent coach play vets to try to save some shred of dignity and it's just sad and damaging to the long term prospects of this team.

There.  That's my rant for the day.

Nearly??? I hope you're on my jury if I ever get charged with murder including video and DNA evidence.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nearly??? I hope you're on my jury if I ever get charged with murder including video and DNA evidence.

I submit to you People's evidence 'A':

Titans sign Ryan Tannehill to contract extension - The Phinsider

That's my reasonable doubt.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nycdan said:

I submit to you People's evidence 'A':

Titans sign Ryan Tannehill to contract extension - The Phinsider

That's my reasonable doubt.

you know I get 25 cents every time someone references Tannehill being  great. Thank you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

you know I get 25 cents every time someone references Tannehill being  great. Thank you.

Not 'great'  but so much better after he escaped from Gase's system.  It's a single data point, but very compelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. I don't want some coach coming in only to have us reel off four to five wins before the season concludes. It happens most times an interim is hired. Even as bad as we are.

Keep Gase. And let this baby continue collapsing.

We absolutely need Lawrence. If we get him, we are looking good.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nycdan said:

Not 'great'  but so much better after he escaped from Gase's system.  It's a single data point, but very compelling.

He was 100x the QB Darnold is under Gase. 500x outside of Gase.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, varjet said:

I like Sam and think he will be around the NFL for awhile. 

But I think the Jets win more games from 2021-2024 if they keep Gase this season and thus tank the season for a draft pick.

Yes, what’s best for the jets is to tank, get a new qb, get a new HC and move on.  At least mims, beckton and Perine all look good, that’s really encouraging for douglas drafting with the extra picks next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offense produced 4 yards on 16 plays in the second half.   After the Perine TD the Jets ran 23 plays for 25 total yards.  Gase had absolutely no idea how to adjust to Buffalo’s adjustments.   It’s embarrassing how poor Gase is at making adjustments.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no reason to keep a proven doofus if you're building "the best culture in sport."

I almost hope Lawrence dodges us. We'd get a buttload of picks and maybe this whole "sucking to be great" mentality will be flushed out of this team's ethos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I'll admit it.  Today was the day that nearly broke my hope that Darnold could be our Franchise QB.  My hope went up during the first half but plummeted during the 2nd half.  I was hoping he'd stand up and show us he could be that guy so we might have options if we get the #1 pick and wouldn't be crushed if we didn't.  Because the thought of missing in TL and watching Sam become Sanchez is terrifying.

But here's where I came out on it.  I don't know if Sam is the guy, but with this coaching staff in place, we can not find out anything more about him.  He can't succeed in this putrid offensive scheme.  Not sure how many QBs can.  Obviously Tannehill thrived once he escaped from it so that's at least one argument that this is the case.

But if we bring in a coach, interim of course, but a coach who can put Sam and the OL and WRs in a position to be even marginally better, then we can evaluate him more thoroughly and if he shows he is what we thought he was, then he could be our guy, or at least have more trade value if we move him.  Right now, we learn nothing and the only benefit I see to Gase staying on is saving the Johnson's some coin.  Yeah, we could argue that Gase gives the tank the most chance to succeed but I don't think that's what's going on.  I think the Johnson's just don't see that they are wasting this season of evaluating not just Darnold, but all the young talent on the roster to see what we have going forward.  Instead we are watching an incompetent coach play vets to try to save some shred of dignity and it's just sad and damaging to the long term prospects of this team.

There.  That's my rant for the day.

Where are you finding this coaching staff in late October?

And how will they be and to implement their offense in time for things to turn around?

I hate Gase but I don't think firing him will solve anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The offense produced 4 yards on 16 plays in the second half.   After the Perine TD the Jets ran 23 plays for 25 total yards.  Gase had absolutely no idea how to adjust to Buffalo’s adjustments.   It’s embarrassing how poor Gase is at making adjustments.   

Today was perhaps the best evidence that gase should not be an nfl hc or OC.  But at the same time the 2nd half showed that darnold lacks the ability to lift his team and he’s still hesitating too much when he should be getting rid of the ball or running.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the second half Darnold lost s 3d down conversion on Berrios not holding on to a catchable ball and Becton illegal procedure. Those were tough breaks for him. While the O line didn’t do him any favors with protection, Darnold holds the ball too long and clearly has no clear idea about where to go with the ball. Is that him or is it that Gase’s sucks? Or, both? I have no idea. Bring in an interim coach so we can figure this out. Even if we take TL with the first pick, the Jets need to change coaches to evaluate Darnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold is intentionally sucking so the jets will draft TL and he can get out of here and possibly ressurect his career  elsewhere. Lol. Dudes like eff it, I'm still young I'll get a shot somewhere, maybe on a team that has a clue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about them Cowboys.  Mike McCarthy without a good QB.  This is the guy most of you wanted.  Let this play out and see what we actually do in the off season.  There is no case for panic.  You upgrade when available you don't unload until the upgrade is available.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, naturalscience said:

Darnold is intentionally sucking so the jets will draft TL and he can get out of here and possibly ressurect his career  elsewhere. Lol. Dudes like eff it, I'm still young I'll get a shot somewhere, maybe on a team that has a clue. 

If that's the case he's elite at sucking. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as JD is spending his entire day scouting new coaches I'm good with Gase for the rest of this year.

As far as JD is concerned, if he has any loyalty to Gase for getting him the job, then I'm going to sour on JD as well. Dude you didn't want this job unless you got a 6 year contract, so go an prove to us that it was worth giving you that contract. Get in CJ's ear and tell him that it's your turn now to run with the franchise. You have very competent assistant GM's. Sit them down in a room and hammer out a plan and when the season is over, make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players that have gone on to have success post Gase are well documented.  But my question is have there been many or any players that have thrived in Gase’s offense? Have there been players that have actually developed/been developed while in his system (outside of the record breaking year with Manning) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...