Game Observations (LAC)

KRL

1 minute ago, addage said:

I hear repeatedly from the Tank for Trevor crew that he is a generational talent.  I am concerned that these are the same guys who urged Suck for Sam. 

In no way, shape or form was Sam Darnold a "generational talent."  His entire resume essentially came down to his performance in one game as a freshman.

Darnold was the top QB I wanted when he came out.  Lawrence is in a completely different universe as a prospect.  And no, Lawrence isn't "generational".  He's just way, way, way, way better than Sam Darnold was.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Yeah the rookie class looks full of contributors.

Mims is showing great strong hand catching.  He looks slower than I thought he would, he's not getting separation on his go routes and I attribute this to 3 things.

- When he goes vertical, DB's break out into an all out sprint knowing he isn't doing a double move or setting them up for a cut because he's not developed enough as a route runner

-He's coming back from 2 bad hammies

-And this is the most glaring - the guy literally slows down on his routes to initiate contact with DB's so that he can control their body position and subtly push off or manipulate them when the ball arrives.  I've never seen a wideout do this as much.  It's incredible to me.  I don't know if this is a good thing.  I think mostly it is and a very good innate skill to have however it shouldn't be employed EVERY SINGLE ROUTE but rather selectively when needed.  Sometimes he had a step on a Go and should have just turned on the afterburners.

------

Can someone please tell me if they watched Zuniga yesterday?  I didn't notice him but I think Bart Scott mentioned in the post game that he contributed?  Anybody see how he did?

The bolded point is spot on.  While watching games of him at Baylor I noticed instead of trying to run around DB's, he attacks them.  Frequently knocking them to the ground.     I was wondering how it was going to go in the NFL with OPI calls.  

Right now it looks like an unusual, and valuable trait.  Hopefully some WR coach will teach him to use his speed after he has intimidated a DB.  Get him to prepare for contact after being pushed around for awhile, then blow by him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I really can't believe people are still worried about the Jets winning games. They're horrible and lost easily to a 2-7 Chargers team.

Rams, Raiders and Seahawks will annihilate the Jets. The Browns are going to run all over them. The Pats stink but should still win. You think they're gonna be the Dolphins? Good luck with that.

Jets did ok out there.  How many times, regardless of the roster, have they won a road game on the left coast.  Their history as a road team has always been terrible.

No way do they beat the Fins.  That's a pretty good team and they will focus on the Jets.  Also, Fins own Houston's pick so will get a top 10 choice no matter what.

Pats are not a good team.  BB will have mixed emotions.  He would love to tank against the Jets, but he has preached Jets hate for so many years.  How does he convince his players to sit it out.  Only way is to sit a bunch of his starters.  He might do it.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In no way, shape or form was Sam Darnold a "generational talent."  His entire resume essentially came down to his performance in one game as a freshman.

Darnold was the top QB I wanted when he came out.  Lawrence is in a completely different universe as a prospect.  And no, Lawrence isn't "generational".  He's just way, way, way, way better than Sam Darnold was.  

Never said he was.  But there are guys asserting that about Trevor.  But is it true?

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He's terrible.  lol  He's a chaser. No instincts.  Gets turned around like Dee Milliner in coverage.   This is like the Darron Lee arguments.   Decent stat line but when you watch the game, just a bad Football player.

I am torn on Davis.  I don't think I could argue with what you said, but what I like is that he seems to do whatever he is doing at a high speed.  

43 minutes ago, jetophile said:

In case you haven't noticed, Todd Bowles has been fired. You really need an avatar update . . . and then you can update it again a couple of years after Adam Gase has been fired, and then I'll point it out again.  I just thought someone should tell you.  I was taught that friends don't let friends walk around with their fly open. 

Other than that, good post. 

The idea that it might be a couple of years before Adam Gase is fired is the most horrifying thing I have read here in weeks. 

When my fly is open nobody tells me.  They just throw money. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The idea that it might be a couple of years before Adam Gase is fired is the most horrifying thing I have read here in weeks. 

When my fly is open nobody tells me.  They just throw money. 

Probably because they just want you to shut up and stop yelling nonsense on the subway platform. /

There used to be this guy on the F Train who would belligerently scream at you, 'ANY CHANGE! ANY CHANGE!" He was really menacing, but he got it done because everyone was doing their mighty conflict avoidance best in order to survive. They threw change and ran. I once offered to buy him something to eat once instead and I thought I was gonna wind up on the train tracks, lol. 

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Darnold needs to go find himself for five years in an Asian ashram.

this is why Sam is a b/u level QB

there have been dozens of plays like this where he just throws off back foot, INC or INT, or holds the ball and takes a sack, and JeNation wails, 

HOW CAN YOU EXPECT HIM TO DEAL WITH THAT PRESSURE? NO ONE CAN DEAL WITH THAT! ITS NOT FAIR! WE CANTEVALUATE HIM!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Probably because they just want you to shut up and stop yelling nonsense on the subway platform. /

There used to be this guy on the F Train who would belligerently scream at you, 'ANY CHANGE! ANY CHANGE!" He was really menacing, but he got it done because everyone was doing their mighty conflict avoidance best in order to survive. They threw change and ran. I once offered to buy him something to eat once instead and I thought I was gonna wind up on the train tracks, lol. 

What is this change of which you speak?  I'm all about that paper.

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If Sam starts winning with actual healthy talent around him what is there to be concerned about?  He is your QB going forward and you grab him another stud WR at the top of the draft to help him even more.

What if Mark Sanchez makes a comeback and he starts throwing 400 yard games on the regular? Lets stop dealing in make pretend, near impossible, what ifs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1