Thanksgiving Eve/Thanksgiving thread

JTJet

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It is but it is also extremely dangerous even for cautious careful people.

Per Fox News, every year, deep-fryer fires are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, and the destruction of 900 homes. 

That said Bon Appetit.

Every one of those cases are usually people that completely disregard any instructions or safety. 

Three things will prevent every single fire,

1 - Never use a frozen or semi frozen turkey. They must be completely thawed out. 

2 - Do not overfill the pot with oil. The pots are even pre marked with a line to fill it to, but people just disregard it. 

3 - Do this outside in the driveway on concrete, away from your house. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Every one of those cases are usually people that completely disregard any instructions or safety. 

Three things will prevent every single fire,

1 - Never use a frozen or semi frozen turkey. They must be completely thawed out. 

2 - Do not overfill the pot with oil. The pots are even pre marked with a line to fill it to, but people just disregard it. 

3 - Do this outside in the driveway on concrete, away from your house. 

The right way to gauge the oil is to do a dry (wet) run. Take your turkey in the wrapper and put it in the cold fryer. Add water to cover the turkey. Lift the turkey out of the fryer and mark the water line with a sharpie. Now you know the exact amount of oil to use and won't have a spill over. Accept this as my Thanksgiving gift, from your friendly JN Butcher !!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

The right way to gauge the oil is to do a dry (wet) run. Take your turkey in the wrapper and put it in the cold fryer. Add water to cover the turkey. Lift the turkey out of the fryer and mark the water line with a sharpie. Now you know the exact amount of oil to use and won't have a spill over. Accept this as my Thanksgiving gift, from your friendly JN Butcher !!!!

That's exactly what I do too. Works like a charm. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Cornbread just out of the oven.   Smells so good.  Took a page out of a diner in Forest Hills back in the 80s which would add a bit of lemon zest to their corn muffins and always include some in my cornbread/muffins, too.  

One of life's great pleasures is a well made cornbread with a cup of coffee (maybe with a dab of Irish butter).   Already looking forward to tomorrow morning (if any of it is left).

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Geez, Detroit-Houston.  Every year we are forced to watch the friggin' Lions and Dallas.  Can we not petition the NFL to do away with this awful tradition?  

I used to be against this when Barry was on the Lions. But now I agree. Enough with Detroit at least. I also miss Pat Summeral.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The guldens is the best, imo.

Totally agree it's the best on a hot dog.  Hate yellow mustard.  Only caveat is that I like my French mustard with some other dishes.  Here's what I have been buying for decades. tried and true:

s-l600.jpg

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I used to be against this when Barry was on the Lions. But now I agree. Enough with Detroit at least. I also miss Pat Summeral.

No joke, said the same thing to my wife just now about Barry.   The Summeral/Madden team is missed for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Totally agree it's the best on a hot dog.  Hate yellow mustard.  Only caveat is that I like my French mustard with some other dishes.  Here's what I have been buying for decades. tried and true:

No joke, said the same thing to my wife just now about Barry.   The Summeral/Madden team is missed for sure.

Ingellhoffer mustard is good especially their dill mustard and their hot pepper mustard.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is but it is also extremely dangerous even for cautious careful people.

Per Fox News, every year, deep-fryer fires are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, and the destruction of 900 homes. 

That said Bon Appetit.

Actually you can get electric turkey fryers that are a lot safer and use a lot less oil, and are a lot easier to clean