Fant should be cut!

Jetster

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

One thing this team has been poor about is UPGRADING positions. I’m done with settling, oh, he’s fine, BS! Like I’ve said B4 the Pats haven’t bought an Olineman in free agency for forever. Fant ain’t worth no 9 million, but that’s the price you pay in free agency. 
Thuney is a proven tough SOB, so you pay that guy if you have the money. 

Okay. Thuney and Fant don’t play the same position. The Patriots signed Trent Brown recently. Also the Pats don’t really take OL high. I’m completely okay with upgrading Fant, I’m not okay with just saying “cut Fant”. I’m also not okay with just saying “draft a stud OL”. It’s never that easy. That being said this a really good FA OL class and getting 1 or 2 to push Fant works for me.

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

How does Fant grade out? 

i remember one bad game but that’s it

has he played well? Is he worth $9 mill next year?

Fant is playing worse than Shell who JD didn't want to bring back at half the price of Fant.  It was a whiff, similar to Robby Anderson in my opinion.

JD has been about 50/50 so far IMO.  That still means he's probably a lot better than Macc but we can't just drink the JD Koolaid and nod our heads in agreement like drones with every move he makes.

Things I've liked - The Becton and Mims picks, getting good value in the Leo Williams trade, getting premium value in the Jamal Adams trade, managing the Jets Cap very well with low-cost 1-year type contracts that give him flexibility, managing the bottom of the roster a little better than in years past, modestly upgrading the OLine.

Things I haven't liked - Mismanaging the WR position group in prioritizing $ savings over capability and experience (especially in a year you're trying to evaluate your QB), not getting a second WR prospect out of this very good Draft class, the James Morgan pick, using a lot of resources (#11 pick, lots of FA $$$) and only getting the OLine from bad to mediocre, being unable to find a Kicker for two years, not getting his arms around this team's training/medical program and having the Jets continue to be one of the most injured teams in the NFL over 2 seasons (not directly his fault but the Jets are outside the normal range on this for two consecutive years during his watch).

I still have faith and he's the best GM we've had at least since Tannenbaum.  But, it's fair to question his moves, both strategic and tactical even as he was put in charge of a ship with a dead engine that was on fire at sea.  What he does in the next 5 months will shape this franchise and his career for the next 5 years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I just go by seeing my QB running for his life because of a jailbreak from the right side. Now the other thing I noticed is we RARELY run to Fants side & when we do, we lose yardage. 

And that's kind of my point. I watch the same games as you and these jailbreaks as you say are hard for me to remember.  Assuming they do happen consistently on the Right side, there are so many variables that go into that.  Does the QB have them in the correct protection?  Does the QB even call the protection or does the Center?  Was the protection called correctly and someone missed an assignment?  If so, who?  About the only thing we can actually see and be sure of is straight up 1 vs 1 blocking outcomes.  I couldn't tell you about Run Blocking, but I'm pretty confident that most coaches would grade Fant at worst an average pass blocker, at best above average to good.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Okay. Thuney and Fant don’t play the same position. The Patriots signed Trent Brown recently. Also the Pats don’t really take OL high. I’m completely okay with upgrading Fant, I’m not okay with just saying “cut Fant”. I’m also not okay with just saying “draft a stud OL”. It’s never that easy. That being said this a really good FA OL class and getting 1 or 2 to push Fant works for me.

I know they don't play the same position. Draft Devonta Smith, Deshon Moore or Waddle (Seattle pick) & cut Crowder + Fant and sign both Thuney & Trent Williams (Play Williams at RT like we did with Woody late in his career) & draft best Center available at #33 or trade back if 2/3 Centers on your board are there. Becton-Thuney- Stud Rookie- McGovern- Trent Williams. 

WRs- Juju-Mims-Rookie- (Use 1 of 3rd rounders, maybe Freiermuth is there at top of the 3rd) - Backfield of Harris-Perine-Adams 

Thats a helluva good Oline for Trevor Lawerence to work behind. 

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

? Isn't he a rookie with KC?

Not a rookie and not on KC. He’s Buffalo’s RT. Really good at pass blocking, and won’t break the bank. The guard spot next to him has been inconsistent with injury and performance but he’s having a good year. Basically you can pay him Fant’s contract so it works out. He can also flex to guard. 

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not a rookie and not on KC. He’s Buffalo’s RT. Really good at pass blocking, and won’t break the bank. The guard spot next to him has been inconsistent with injury and performance but he’s having a good year. Basically you can pay him Fant’s contract so it works out. He can also flex to guard. 

Why would he want to leave the rising Bills? 

54 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Let’s get ourselves a bookend  tackle  to go with Becton ( ala Marvin Powell & Chris Ward ) and keep Fant as quality depth & insurance in the event of injury albeit at a reduced salary. 

Just sign Trent Williams. We have the money, the guy is beasting in San Fran. 
Woody Part II

Guy could be like Whitworth, put him at RT, Becton at LT, Thuney, Stud Rookie Center at #33 & McGovern at RG! 
Go to work Trevor & keep that line together for 4/5 years! 

Enough dicking around with JAGS and worse at C.  Draft the next Nick Mangold, a guy who is both a stud and the captain of the line.

Take a C either with the Seattle first (thank you, Jamal Adams), or the early 2nd (maybe after trading down just a bit).  Move McGovern to RG, improving two positions with one pick.

Another OL (RT) and WR or TE early would also be great.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Thor99 said:

How about Shell, Winters, and Harrison?

Shell is the only real starter among those names

Winters is at the end of a deep decline

Harrison -Andrews - GVR - AQ Shipley - Tyler Shatley - Nick Easton - Senio Kelemete - Brett Jones these are all different versions of the same player 

that veteran utility guy with zero physical upside 

13 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Enough dicking around with JAGS and worse at C.  Draft the next Nick Mangold, a guy who is both a stud and the captain of the line.

Take a C either with the Seattle first (thank you, Jamal Adams), or the early 2nd (maybe after trading down just a bit).  Move McGovern to RG, improving two positions with one pick.

Another OL (RT) and WR or TE early would also be great.

I like the first part, but you really think McGovern will be that much better and improve the OL play placed as a Guard? I say Draft Humphrey with the Seattle pick and get rid of McGovern completely. 

• Upvote 1