Fant should be cut!

Jetster

I like the way JD structured his contract. There wasn’t much out there so JD needed to bring on any veteran to man the RT spot because Edoga sucked so much. 
We save 7.2 million cutting him with a 2 million cap hit. Like Becton, JD needs to find young upgrades in the draft to be a foundation of Trevor Lawrence offense. 
After watching the Steelers, I’ve changed my mind regarding Juju or Robinson, let’s go with the 25 year old Juju. Unselfish kid who would be awesome opposite Mims. 
With the next 2 picks in the draft if I’m JD I go WR/TE, add 2 more young weapons for TL to grow with. Maybe Devonta Smith or Moore? Waddle? That way you only spend big free agent money on Juju & maybe 2 Olineman. We have to protect TL. The only other free agent I’d target is edge (Hendrickson?)
On Defense, use all the late picks starting with the 3rds for BPA at CB, Edge, LB. Outside of Edge in the 1st round of free agency on defense, load up on 2nd tier defensive free agents after the money has dried up, which it will with the lower Salary Cap figure & many teams over or near the cap. This might be the best 2nd tier free agency after the opening bell in a long time.

We just need to have a complimentary defense in 2021 that can go off the field a few times. 2022 & our 9 more picks (or more) depending on JDs moves in 2021 will be defensive heavy. 

With close to 100 million to spend in free agency, after cutting Anderson, Fant, Crowder, Lewis, Griffin & Van Rotten, JD will have plenty of money to do some bargain shopping to fill out a defensive roster. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

Fant is a good player, so is GVR. No reason to cut them when we have over $90 million to spend already. Add a guy in FA start and draft another guy. This is a crazy deep OT draft, good trait guys will be available in rounds 2-4. Build depth, don’t cut good players but bring in talent that will push their performances.

I would like a Center and a RT in the first 4 rounds of the draft. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Both Fant and gvr are vs backup level players that would not start on most other NFL lines

Fant is a good player, so is GVR. No reason to cut them when we have over $90 million to spend already. Add a guy in FA to start and draft another guy. This is a crazy deep OT draft, good trait guys will be available in rounds 2-4. Build depth, don’t cut good players but bring in talent that will push their performances.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Think about the best players on this team.  Then think about cutting Crowder, Fant, Anderson, Lewis, Griffin and Van Roten.  We are all hopeful that having money when the cap drops will give us tons of bargains, but remember that thinking had us so happy to be starting Pierre Desir at CB.  We would have been better off just paying Bradberry.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Think about the best players on this team.  Then think about cutting Crowder, Fant, Anderson, Lewis, Griffin and Van Roten.  We are all hopeful that having money when the cap drops will give us tons of bargains, but remember that thinking had us so happy to be starting Pierre Desir at CB.  We would have been better off just paying Bradberry.

New HC is critical to not be a stalking horse for agents to drive up the price for where their clients really want to go.

No need to cut Fant until training camp.  After someone beats him out.  Even if he is an average/below average starter, you keep him until you are sure you have a better option.  IF Edoga beats him out in camp next year, &/or we add a FA or draftee who beats him out.  Then fine, cut him and save the money.

We can't just let him go, cross our fingers and hope someone better comes along.  Someone proves to be better, then fine, let him go., although having some depth along the OL is not the worst thing, as long as we are not in cap trouble next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Both Fant and gvr are vs backup level players that would not start on most other NFL lines

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

GVR is like a 3 year starter. Fant and GVR are not high end players but also not worth dumping. They are average starters and would be really excellent backups. Why get rid of them when we have $90m in cap space?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

GVR is like a 3 year starter. Fant and GVR are not high end players but also not worth dumping. They are average starters and would be really excellent backups. Why get rid of them when we have $90m in cap space?

Splitting hairs but both players are below average

the only above average starters on the line (would definately start for many other teams ) are Becton and McGovern 

they need 3 more "real" starters and JD probably thought Clark would be one of those by now 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Fant is a good player, so is GVR. No reason to cut them when we have over $90 million to spend already. Add a guy in FA to start and draft another guy. This is a crazy deep OT draft, good trait guys will be available in rounds 2-4. Build depth, don’t cut good players but bring in talent that will push their performances.

Are we watching the same guy? 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Splitting hairs but both players are below average

the only above average starters on the line (would definately start for many other teams ) are Becton and McGovern 

they need 3 more "real" starters and JD probably thought Clark would be one of those by now 

Even though Darnold sucks, there is way to much quick pressure from the right side. We need to start DRAFTING Olineman & developing them! When is the last time the Patriots paid an Olineman in Free agency? Lets draft a stud Center & use our 3rds for BAP at Guard & let them all battle it out in camp! 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

I want flat out murderers protecting him. 

BAD AZZES!!! Thuney is a bad azz. Sign him & move McGovern to RG,  draft a stud Center & RT, let these guys all battle it out for the RT spot! If Fant gets beat out, cut him & save 7.2 million to subsidize a pass rusher on defense!

• Upvote 1

ID of our HC is critical to FA. FA is critical to the draft. So it’s difficult to look at specific players until the management dust settles 

I didn’t say “new” HC.  Until Gase is fired we don’t know what the Jets will do. We are talking the Jets. 
I am an optimist on JD. I also think the Johnson’s are infinitely better than Leon Hess—the worst sports owner of all time. But these last two years have been hard to believe. 
I have hope but it’s being sorely tested. 

OL is the position that generates the biggest gap in opinions by us casual fans and it's not close.

I'm firmly believe most of us(myself included) wouldn't have the first clue about OL performance if media types didn't talk or write about it.  If we were left to make our own impressions without the input of anyone else, most of us would be way off on what a "decent" OL looks like individually.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

OL is the position that generates the biggest gap in opinions by us casual fans and it's not close.

I'm firmly believe most of us(myself included) wouldn't have the first clue about OL performance if media types didn't talk or write about it.  If we were left to make our own impressions without the input of anyone else, most of us would be way off on what a "decent" OL looks like individually.

I just go by seeing my QB running for his life because of a jailbreak from the right side. Now the other thing I noticed is we RARELY run to Fants side & when we do, we lose yardage. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Are we watching the same guy? 

Yeah. He’s fine. We can upgrade from him, but mostly we can downgrade from him. There’s not need to worry about his role unless there is a good immediate replacement. Take a tackle in the draft, sign an interior guy, build the talent level, don’t dump good players because they’re not elite especially with all the money we have.

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah. He’s fine. We can upgrade from him, but mostly we can downgrade from him. There’s not need to worry about his role unless there is a good immediate replacement. Take a tackle in the draft, sign an interior guy, build the talent level, don’t dump good players because they’re not elite especially with all the money we have.

One thing this team has been poor about is UPGRADING positions. I’m done with settling, oh, he’s fine, BS! Like I’ve said B4 the Pats haven’t bought an Olineman in free agency for forever. Fant ain’t worth no 9 million, but that’s the price you pay in free agency. 
Thuney is a proven tough SOB, so you pay that guy if you have the money. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Awesome man, thank you!  I'm not very familiar with the scale though.  I feel like being in the 60's means he's about average, is that right?  

How do you think his grades and his salary align?

It's a grading system out of 100, he's on the fence for me. I'm not going to cut him because of our lack of depth and continuity but if we were strapped on cap space I'd consider cutting him.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's a grading system out of 100, he's on the fence for me. I'm not going to cut him because of our lack of depth and continuity but if we were strapped on cap space I'd consider cutting him.

I want to be able to run to the right too. Does anyone remember any good runs to the right? We always pay top dollar for average. That just doesn't cut it.