Robert Saleh vs Arthur Smith?

Saleh vs Smith?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to 49ers DC Robert Saleh or Titans OC Arthur Smith, I would.......

• STRONGLY PREFER SALEH
    • Prefer Saleh
    • Either one would be a similarly good (or bad) choice
    • Prefer Smith
    • STRONGLY PREFER SMITH

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

90% of this board didnt know who Robert Saleh was prior to the interview and now he's preferred to the JN darling must hire, Arthur Smith.  This place is nutty, man. 

I have no clue what either of these guys bring to the table.  The one thing I do know is Smith has a top 5 unit under him and has been part of a tremendous turn around with Tannehill.  It sounds like we're sticking with Sam so I'd prefer the guy who can do that as opposed to the guy who has a nice defensive scheme and his unit was only top 5 when he's coaching the likes of Buckner, Bosa, Ward, Alexander, Armstead. Warner, Ward, etc. etc. etc.  

Smith has done a good job, no doubt about it. But I don't agree with the narrative that he turned around or fixed Tannehill. Tannehill had two two 4,000 yard seasons and a third at 3,913 in Miami. Sam barely cracked 3,000 yards once. In some ways, Tannehill was actually better in Miami because he was asked to do so much more. There were plenty of signs of what was to come. The point at which Smith will inherit Darnold is a completely different starting place. I don't think Tannehill and Darnold are in any ways a comparable.

17 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Does anyone else think it’s a little odd Philly is having their interviews in Florida? If I was the candidate I’d at least want to see the facility/area before accepting any position. I could be looking too much into it and probably am, but yeah. 

I think it’s a little odd the NFL is allowing Philly to do their first round of interviews in person when every other team had to conduct them virtually.

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

Smith has done a good job, no doubt about it. But I don't agree with the narrative that he turned around or fixed Tannehill. Tannehill had two two 4,000 yard seasons and a third at 3,913 in Miami. Sam barely cracked 3,000 yards once. In some ways, Tannehill was actually better in Miami because he was asked to do so much more. There were plenty of signs of what was to come. The point at which Smith will inherit Darnold is a completely different starting place. I don't think Tannehill and Darnold are in any ways a comparable.

Agreed. Tannehill was heads and shoulders better then Sam at this juncture.  But 40 TD's and 7 turnovers in his first full year under Smith...that's pretty ridiculous.  Also, Henry evolved intp the best RB in the game under Smith.  While both talented players, they've reached their full potential under Smith and there is something to say about that, for sure.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed. Tannehill was heads and shoulders better then Sam at this juncture.  But 40 TD's and 7 turnovers in his first full year under Smith...that's pretty ridiculous.  Also, Henry evolved intp the best RB in the game under Smith.  While both talented players, they've reached their full potential under Smith and there is something to say about that, for sure.

He's put Tannehill in a position to succeed for sure. I guess my point is if you apply the same percentage of improvement that Tannehill experienced to Darnold, Darnold still would not be a good QB. Again, because the starting point for Darnold is just so, so much lower.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't blame you. I think he's smarter than McAdoo. More articulate, more big picture. But he doesn't look the part and does seem a bit stale.

More than anything else, the Jets need a coach who represents the identity their looking for. It's that simple. Combining Smith and Saleh is essentially what I was looking for in a head coach - a fiery CEO style coach with offensive roots who utilizes heavy doses of play-action in attempt get the most out of the QB (see Campbell, Harbaugh). If you make me pick, I'd probably take Staley at this point. He has a broader offensive knowledge than Saleh and while not as fiery he connects with his players and they play hard for him. 

This is an interesting write up.

My impression of him is that he's more reserved, less of a charismatic leader but maybe that's just because he looks like Gase or something.

Just now, Sarge4Tide said:

I'm sort of surprised at the overwhelming preference for Saleh over Smith in this poll

I think people think he's Gase 2.0 and Titans offense didn't play well last Sunday.  Everytime I watched the Titans over the past two years, their play calling was really good.  I'm fine with either one

• Upvote 2

The Fedex thing with Smith is very interesting to me

It might mean this guy just isn't motivated by money, his heart is with football. Probably means the guy is genuine, and I'm sure his players see that. Could make for a good leader. 

Also, knowing that your HC is worth more money than you could ever be worth probably gives him an aura/level or respect/fear that players would otherwise not have for him. 

• Upvote 2

If Smith is married to the type of offense that Titans have now I would pass. But if he builds an offense around the players he has and might run an air raid offense if it made more sense then I think I would slightly prefer him. He has coached both offense and defense so that is an advantage.

But we are talking like 50.1% to 49.9%. Don't particularly love either.

I am starting to think that the writers were just guessing that Saleh was #1 candidate, and that they might even be going in reverse order.

As long as we don't hire Bieniemy, Daboll or Pederson I will be at least neutral. It seems we are going the hot coordinator route again which is meh. To clarify the largest pool of candidates is coordinators, but I would prefer the coordinator that is consistently good with less talent than a one year wonder like Daboll.

I might take a flyer on Brady to be honest. We need someone to develop a QB

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

That's where I'm at and who I think the #1 choice should be. I'd rather be early on a guy like Brady than totally miss out. High potential for a bust though, so I understand

I just feel that you can't jump up the ranks that fast without good leadership skills. I would take a flyer on Brady. I think we ultimately settle on Saleh 

13 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Does anyone else think it’s a little odd Philly is having their interviews in Florida? If I was the candidate I’d at least want to see the facility/area before accepting any position. I could be looking too much into it and probably am, but yeah. 

Florida isn't on lockdown like certain cities.  Thats all I can think of.  Imagine if you have to bring a HC to that sh*thole of Los Angeles.