Cimini on Status of Sam Darnold

addage

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, but if you don't have a QB to protect he can't help.

This team is so gutted they can't fix it in 1 draft 

It's not fair to the qb to put him into a situation where he has like 3 real starters around him 

That's exactly what happened to Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Everybody in the draft wants to move down. Trade downs from 1,2 overall are rare because of the price. Any team outside of the top 10 requires multiple 1st to get there. Even a team at 8 or 9 needs to pay at least another first 

So the list of trade down partners is small and the players they would be trading for are nebulous 

The question is why would another team move up and 

If it's for a player on offense, why don't they just take the player on offense? 

Yeah, probably why you never, ever see any trades in the first round. Especially when QBs are involved. 

I agree, if they can't find a trade partner, they should probably draft someone. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, probably why you never, ever see any trades in the first round. Especially when QBs are involved. 

I agree, if they can't find a trade partner, they should probably draft someone. 

Look at the history of the draft, yes many trades happen. Trades at 1 or 2 happen about once every 5 years. 

These qbs if they were really worth 2 the Jets would take at 2. No teams are talking about trading up for fields. Mcshay has him at 15 in his mock. 

The only trade market of note is the Sewell trade market. Maybe they can get the Bengals to move from 5. That's like a second and a third. The jets used their 2nd and 3rd last year on mims and ashtyn davis 

Or they could just take the instant all pro and get better 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Look at the history of the draft, yes many trades happen. Trades at 1 or 2 happen about once every 5 years. 

These qbs if they were really worth 2 the Jets would take at 2. No teams are talking about trading up for fields. Mcshay has him at 15 in his mock. 

The only trade market of note is the Sewell trade market. Maybe they can get the Bengals to move from 5. That's like a second and a third. The jets used their 2nd and 3rd last year on mims and ashtyn davis 

Yes, if they can't find a suitable trade partner, they should take someone. I agree. 

It's a long way between now and the draft. I'm just gonna go ahead and imagine that someone will fall in love enough with one of the QBs, or Sewell, or maybe even Smith, to make Joe Douglas an offer. This is a guy who got two first rounds picks for Jamalcontent Adams. I'll let him work the phones and see what happens. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets over the years have predominately drafted DL Defensive Linemen very high in the NFL Draft. 

It has brought us little or no success. 

Maybe they should have tried offensive line instead 

They drafted brick at 6, Becton at 11. Nick Mangold a late Rd 1.

not hearing any complaints 

Side note if there was a myles Garrett in the draft the Jets would be hard pressed to pass on him. There's not.

But edge is arguably the worst need on the entire roster, if we are talking about need. 

If there was a calvin Johnson in the draft, the Jets would have to take that guy. There's not. 

They should not draft for need at 2 they should draft for value that's the whole point 

You think busting at 3 is bad? Try Busting at 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Maybe they should have tried offensive line instead 

They drafted brick at 6, Becton at 11. Nick Mangold a late Rd 1.

not hearing any complaints 

Side note if there was a myles Garrett in the draft the Jets would be hard pressed to pass on him. There's not.

But edge is arguably the worst need on the entire roster, if we are talking about need. 

If there was a calvin Johnson in the draft, the Jets would have to take that guy. There's not. 

They should not draft for need at 2 they should draft for value that's the whole point 

You think busting at 3 is bad? Try Busting at 2

D-Brick and Mangold were great cornerstones on the OL. 

Becton if he can stay healthy seems to be headed down the same road. 

Hoping to not bust at all on every draft pick in 2021. 

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

to be fair mcshay did that mock trying any which way but loose to get fields to fall to the patriots @15. zero chance that happens

22 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

to be fair mcshay did that mock trying any which way but loose to get fields to fall to the patriots @15. zero chance that happens

Sure but maybe Fields' value is closer to 15 than 2. A great portion of the board is just fine with a reach at 2 because we hate Sam. 

These are like 2 different discussions.

Yes Sam sucks. Is there an obvious replacement? Really worth the 2 pick? 

Sad truth is, that dream died when they beat the rams. If Fields and Wilson were Trevor types they would have no problem

I like Fields at top 10 maybe mid Rd 1 prices. I like Wilson as a 1/2 cusp, pending medical. The jets have alot of draft picks.

There's not 2 Trevor's in this class in fact there's probably only 2 blue chip players in this crop. Maybe 3 with the Heisman wr 

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sure but maybe Fields' value is closer to 15 than 2. A great portion of the board is just fine with a reach at 2 because we hate Sam. 

These are like 2 different discussions.

Yes Sam sucks. Is there an obvious replacement? Really worth the 2 pick? 

Sad truth is, that dream died when they beat the rams. If Fields and Wilson were Trevor types they would have no problem

I like Fields at top 10 maybe mid Rd 1 prices. I like Wilson as a 1/2 cusp, pending medical. The jets have alot of draft picks.

There's not 2 Trevor's in this class in fact there's probably only 2 blue chip players in this crop. Maybe 3 with the Heisman wr 

i don't like wilson at all really. i think he will break in the nfl. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2021 at 7:44 PM, football guy said:

It’s a good thing I laid the good pipe when I did 899789B7-9319-4F6E-88D4-CCC01C0935F6.gif.e9bd655758a0697ec933af37246cd7ab.gif

you’re right on the rest though. He’s not making any explicit commitments but based on film study it sounds like he’s not impressed enough to take either of these guys before Darnold nor has he been convinced that either was a better prospect. 

I think the biggest thing they will do these next 2 months is study Darnold and try to figure out what he may have missed in his original eval/what his ceiling is/what his value is.

as I said a week or so ago, I think there’s a better chance they trade Darnold and still trade down from #2 than trade Darnold and take a QB at #2. These things can change and the coach has a say, but that’s just what I heard as of last week

Wait. Trade Darnold and trade down? Who’s gonna play QB?