Brant Boyer survives another Jets coaching change

NYJ1

The Jets are retaining special teams coordinator Brant Boyer, a source confirmed Monday.

Boyer has been the Jets special teams coordinator since 2016 when former coach Todd Bowles hired him. He was retained by Adam Gase in 2019 and now new coach Robert Saleh has decided to keep him on his staff.

The 49-year-old Boyer had a difficult season this year with injuries and the quality of the roster severely hurting his units. Sports Illustrated had Boyer’s units ranked 26th in the NFL in 2020. The Jets used three different kickers and had a rookie punter in Braden Mann, a sixth-round pick.

Boyer called 2020 his toughest year in coaching. 

“There’s certainly not a ton [of positives], to be honest with you,” Boyer said before the final game of the season. “That’s just my own self-evaluation. I expect better from this crew and myself. I’m not happy with how things went. Regardless of situations and how many guys we’ve had to play and things like that, we’ve got to do better.”

Boyer is the highest-ranking member of Gase’s coaching staff to be retained by Saleh, who was hired two weeks ago. He has kept some lower-level coaches, too.

Saleh hired Mike LaFleur from the 49ers as his offensive coordinator and Jeff Ulbrich from the Falcons as his defensive coordinator. 

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets are retaining special teams coordinator Brant Boyer, a source confirmed Monday.
Boyer has been the Jets special teams coordinator since 2016 when former coach Todd Bowles hired him. He was retained by Adam Gase in 2019 and now new coach Robert Saleh has decided to keep him on his staff.
The 49-year-old Boyer had a difficult season this year with injuries and the quality of the roster severely hurting his units. Sports Illustrated had Boyer’s units ranked 26th in the NFL in 2020. The Jets used three different kickers and had a rookie punter in Braden Mann, a sixth-round pick.
Boyer called 2020 his toughest year in coaching. 
“There’s certainly not a ton [of positives], to be honest with you,” Boyer said before the final game of the season. “That’s just my own self-evaluation. I expect better from this crew and myself. I’m not happy with how things went. Regardless of situations and how many guys we’ve had to play and things like that, we’ve got to do better.”
Boyer is the highest-ranking member of Gase’s coaching staff to be retained by Saleh, who was hired two weeks ago. He has kept some lower-level coaches, too.
Saleh hired Mike LaFleur from the 49ers as his offensive coordinator and Jeff Ulbrich from the Falcons as his defensive coordinator. 

I thought this was the right thing to do.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good. Contrary to the hot takes by the idiots here, he's a good coaches hamstrung by a trash roster and adversarial HC.

Nonsense, his crew were lousy, his punter who came into the  league with rocket leg was lousy.

His returns were lousy

His head coach probably had nothing to do with specials.

You are getting lower end of the roster players for specials on all teams and it is your job to make it work.

There is no evidence that he is a good coach.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, his crew were lousy, his punter who came into the  league with rocket leg was lousy.

His returns were lousy

You are getting lower end of the roster players for specials on all teams and it is your job to make it work.

Dumb take. Not worth responding to.

Have a great day!!

(See @Maxman, I can play nice!)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His returns were lousy

Well they were 1st in special teams DVOA in 2018 and 4th in 2019... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Without checking stats I think Brant Boyer had his s*** together and special teams were doing pretty well. Special teams were one of our strong suits over the last few years.

His first year was rough but we've been okay since. He knows the guys were keeping on the roster so it's a smart move. Joe judge was the Special Teams coordinator for the Patriots before he got hired as head coach of the Giants. The biggest reason for that is because the special teams involve offense-defense and he's involved with all the coaches and the GM.

Very smart move in building a foundation. This guy knows the in and out the nooks and crannies of the whole team! He's like the janitor from The Breakfast Club LOL!

He is the eyes and ears of this institution my friends LOL!

His returns were lousy

Tell me more Nostradamus....