Build a Wall!

Just now, fullblast said:

I think there's universal agreement that the OL need a huge upgrade this off-season. The debate is over how to go about it.

I think you we should go about it just like the consensus has been about finding a FQB, you look under any rock to find one.  Throw whatever resources you need!

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We ignored it for nearly 15 years and we wonder why we’ve been as bad as we have.

Look at the great Patrick Mahomes reduced to garbage without his guys.

Most important in the game. 

So the TB line is unbelievable? Filled w all pros? Give me a break 

Just now, Titan24 said:

So the TB line is unbelievable? Filled w all pros? Give me a break 

It is in fact  filled with pro bowlers  and rookie who will garner some votes for rookie of the year.  Also my opinion is all those years TB had " crap receivers" and won, was because his Oline was great.  Whether you believe they held or not, it played a huge roll in their dominance.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You want to know what Mahomes would have looked like on the Jets? This is it. Running for his life and creating plays from time to time.

And that’s with guys like Hill and Kelce to throw to

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

It is in fact  filled with pro bowlers  and rookie who will garner some votes for rookie of the year.  Also my opinion is all those years TB had " crap receivers" and won, was because his Oline was great.  Whether you believe they held or not, it played a huge roll in their dominance.

How bout getting some playmakers, a smart qb, a  coaching staff that includes coach Todd Bowles drawing up a plan and have players buy in? 

1 minute ago, JH Jet Fan said:

Not sure we go this route with a Shanahan offense.  But I will confess spending more time than I care to divulge dreaming of this Oline on 2021 before we hired Saleh & LaFleur:

LT Penei Sewell

LG Joe Thuney

C Corey Lindley

RG Connor McGovern

RT Mekhi Becton

Drafted McGlinchey so there is value within the offense!

33 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

I think you we should go about it just like the consensus has been about finding a FQB, you look under any rock to find one.  Throw whatever resources you need!

The problem with some of the ideas is the “need” (for some) involves the #2 overall pick on another tackle. That is most definitely not needed. No champion has ever over-invested so ridiculously.

I think they’re so beaten down by the lack of draft investment in the line pre-Becton, and the awful drafting for so many years in general, compounded with JD’s sub-Maccagnanesque FA signings for the line since getting hired.

If you’re seeing anything with Tampa, you’re seeing balance. The team is good everywhere. If all they did was constantly sink their top resource into the OL they wouldn’t be in the playoffs, let alone the SB.

Tampa has one first round pick on their OL, and he was just taken this season (as a final piece, not a building block). They drafted Smith & Marpet in round 2 way back in 2015, but got nothing out of their rookie contracts since they were wasted on Winston. Under veteran contracts, they’re not worth more as draft picks than incoming FAs would be (actually less, since the latter results in saving the draft picks to use on other starters). 

Yes the line is in need of upgrades, but not only will they make these efforts but a good GM, with an eye for college talent, can find other starters outside the top 3-6 picks in the whole draft. If Douglas can’t, then we’ve got another Maccagnan and it doesn’t matter anyway. 

If they stay way up top (and don’t take a QB) as much as some would consider it blasphemy, they’re better off as a team with a CB or edge rusher (presuming they sign a serious FA WR in March). They’ve got more than enough draft picks to find 1-2 OLmen without burning #2 overall the year after using #11 on a LT and hitting.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You want to know what Mahomes would have looked like on the Jets? This is it. Running for his life and creating plays from time to time.

I think this is overstated. Mahomes is under a good amount more pressure tonight than Darnold has been in the overwhelming majority of his starts.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1