Rotator Cuff Surgery

Was told would take around 18 months to feel almost normal. At about that point now,much much better, but  still some strain the shoulder joint. Could be because I'm closer to 60 than 30. Sleeping for the next week is going to be a pain in the ass. Rather than the opioids they give you (worthless, addictive, make you dopey) use pot gummies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Good luck.  Been through it myself.  First week or two are the toughest, but the PT was nowhere near as bad as people told me to expect. 

Best part of my surgery is that I had it done on the Monday morning of the day the Jets played Buffalo in Detroit.  They had to move the game due to snowstorm in Buffalo.  It was Thanksgiving week and I was off work.  I would have driven to Michigan for the game.  Driving 5 hours each way, losing 38-3, spending a night in Detroit,  Surgery was less painful than that trip would have been.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, Dunnie said:

Just got out of rotator cuff surgery at HSS ... I have a new appreciation for enduring this process.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Major surgery sucks balls, that's one I haven't had, much to my luck. Get Well Soon!

• Sympathy 1

I destroyed my right shoulder the day before Mother’s Day. I have a little more range of motion now, but haven’t been able to sleep longer than an hour at a time for the last two weeks. MRI next Thursday.

a girl friend of mine gave me a bag of 600mg pot gummy’s. I will try one tomorrow night lol

12 minutes ago, BP said:

600mg pot gummy’s

That should take care of it, I do prefer the flower. 

I tore my shoulder 15 years ago and never had surgery. At my age, I rather deal with the burning sensation than being sidelined (with no guarantees) for year and a half. I rather practice pain management and use weed.

I tore my shoulder 15 years ago and never had surgery. At my age, I rather deal with the burning sensation than being sidelined (with no guarantees) for year and a half. I rather practice pain management and use weed.
I'm not weed experienced... have no idea where to get it .. even though its legal now.

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'm not weed experienced... have no idea where to get it .. even though its legal now.

Try to obtain a medical card and it will be cheaper than recreational marijuana. Heck, if you tell the doctor that you are a Jets fan, that should automatically certify you.

• Sympathy 1

Try to obtain a medical card and it will be cheaper than recreational marijuana. Heck, if you tell the doctor that you are a Jets fan, that should automatically certify you.

I have a medical card, this is not true at all. Dispensaries are much higher than the recreational black market prices. Dispensaries charge anywhere from $60-$80 an eighth. I get all mine from black market dealers and use my med card as my right to carry. Nowadays it doesn’t matter whether you have medical or not.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

Will I be required in N.J  to forfeit my guns and ammo if I get a Dr to issue me a medical card. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Bronx said:

It was good, but not worth $30.00 for 10 gummy’s lol

im doing 2 aleeve pm every night and it’s going ok.

I had to change my MRI apt. No way I can ly on my back for 30 minutes in that cigar tube. The only time it hurts is when I ly on my back. Stand up MRI Tuesday night.

range of motion is getting a lot better. But lots of crackling and popping sometimes (feels good, like cracking knuckles)

On 5/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, peebag said:

Physical therapy can suck but it also determines your recovery.  Don't slack on it.

Went through it about 8 years ago and my repaired shoulder is stronger than the non repaired one.

This is true. My left arm became atrophied from nerve damage back in 2003. And I was surprised how much strength I got back in it from PT. It took a long time, but it was worth it.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, Dunnie said:

Just got out of rotator cuff surgery at HSS ... I have a new appreciation for enduring this process.

How are you doing?

Did you get that thing that recycles the ice water for your shoulder?

How are you doing?

Did you get that thing that recycles the ice water for your shoulder?
Hey ! Thanks for asking .. yep ... Game Ready icer ... just returned it to the surgeons ... cant believe how hard being o e armed is ... pian is gone now and my shoulder feels better than before surgery ... just took out of sling to rest on pillow during a movie ... but otherwise always in thAt thing.

Thanks again man.

• Upvote 1

I had to change my MRI apt. No way I can ly on my back for 30 minutes in that cigar tube. The only time it hurts is when I ly on my back. Stand up MRI Tuesday night.

range of motion is getting a lot better. But lots of crackling and popping sometimes (feels good, like cracking knuckles)
I have that cracking too. And I have t really moved it yet

19 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Hey ! Thanks for asking .. yep ... Game Ready icer ... just returned it to the surgeons ... cant believe how hard being o e armed is emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png... pian is gone now and my shoulder feels better than before surgery ... just took out of sling to rest on pillow during a movie ... but otherwise always in thAt thing.

Thanks again man.

Glad you’re feeling better! I know about 10 people that have had it done.

how are you sleeping? You have a recliner?

On 5/29/2021 at 5:03 PM, BP said:

When I had it done, the MRI tech was a guy I used to hang out with a long time ago, and even having a  conversation with an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time wasn't enough. . It's really uncomfortable and  odd. He explained it's off the charts how many people simply say eff this, and leave. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

When I had it done, the MRI tech was a guy I used to hang out with a long time ago, and even havinga  conversation with an old friedn I hadn't seen in a lomg time wasn't enough. . It's really uncomfortable and  odd. He explained it's off the charts how many people simply say eff this, and leave. 

I had one for my knee in 2002, but I wasn’t all the way in. Even that was annoying because you have to remain motionless for 30 minutes. It usually takes about 15 minutes on my back before the pain is unbearable. Let’s see how this open one goes. It takes longer (45 minutes), but I don’t care.

So I had the MRI on Tuesday and got the report today. I see the doctor on Monday. The report says…torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon and torn labrum lol I’m ****ed. Hoping I can hold this off until September but at night in bed it feels like my arm is coming outta the socket

So I had the MRI on Tuesday and got the report today. I see the doctor on Monday. The report says…torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon and torn labrum lol I’m ****ed. Hoping I can hold this off until September but at night in bed it feels like my arm is coming outta the socket
Yup been there ... you will conquer this ... thr surgery itself is a breeze ... go to sleep... wake up

Recovery is frustrating ...lots of sling time.

I'm only 3 weeks out and I tweaked it a little stumbling on my cat ... but think I'm ok.

Good luck .. keep us posted.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BP said:

That sucks. Would get it done ASAP, because as bad as you feel now, the surgery and then rehab get you better, if gradually. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:04 AM, Dunnie said:

Yup been there ... you will conquer this ... thr surgery itself is a breeze ... go to sleep... wake up

Recovery is frustrating ...lots of sling time.

I'm only 3 weeks out and I tweaked it a little stumbling on my cat ... but think I'm ok.

Good luck .. keep us posted.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, Bugg said:

That sucks. Would get it done ASAP, because as bad as you feel now, the surgery and then rehab get you better, if gradually. 

I had the follow up. Definitely need surgery within 6 months of the injury. Going to get it done in late august. He told me it’s going to be very painful lol no sh*t. The reason why I’m waiting is because I’m crazy busy at work righ now and I have a trip to Vegas booked In august.

I got the green light to use light weights to strengthen the supporting areas until august. I’ll be ready. In the meantime no sleep for me lol

did you guys get a nerve block? And if so how long?

thanks for the 411 guys

I had the follow up. Definitely need surgery within 6 months of the injury. Going to get it done in late august. He told me it’s going to be very painful lol no sh*t. The reason why I’m waiting is because I’m crazy busy at work righ now and I have a trip to Vegas booked In august.

I got the green light to use light weights to strengthen the supporting areas until august. I’ll be ready. In the meantime no sleep for me lol

thanks for the 411 guys
Yup .. nerve block .. lasted about 1.5 -2 days

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BP said:

thanks for the 411 guys

About 48/72 hours. When it comes off, not good. 

• Upvote 1

thanks for the 411 guys

Yes. Definitely get the nerve block. Mine lasted 48 hours after surgery. Get the ice machine as well. Good luck to you. 5 months in. I feel great. It does get better. Rehab is Key

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1