Sam Darnold given 100:1 odds to win MVP (per VegasInsider.com)

56 minutes ago, Drums said:

To be a comeback player of the year, don't you have to have some prior success to come back to? How would that work with Darnold?

I think you can win it if you play well after overcoming a great deal if adversity, such as playing for Adam Gase the year before.

5 hours ago, doitny said:

Carolina fans must be getting a semi from reading this. they already think they hit lotto with sam.

cant wait to watch him burn this season.

we should make odds on that

I live in NC.  Trust me, very few Panthers fans, if any, are excited about Sam Darnold being their starting QB. 

At best they just hope the Jets sucked so much that Darnold was secretly good, or he's "going to be a little better than you think", according to one I spoke to.  And even then, they know there are limits to this, and that Darnold isn't going to just start slinging the ball around like an MVP candidate.

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think you can win it if you play well after overcoming a great deal if adversity, such as playing for Adam Gase the year before.

So then it is not a comeback. The award would be “Living Up to the Hype” 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

So then it is not a comeback. The award would be “Living Up to the Hype” 

Or "Historic career turnaround unlike the NFL has ever seen".  

It would exceed even Josh Allen's turnaround, since Allen became a star in year 3 in the pros, whereas Darnold is heading into year 4.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or "Historic career turnaround unlike the NFL has ever seen".  

It would exceed even Josh Allen's turnaround, since Allen became a star in year 3 in the pros, whereas Darnold is heading into year 4.

Ryan Tannewho???

28 minutes ago, Drums said:

Ryan Tannewho???

Darnold couldn't dream of doing what Tannehill was producing his first 3 years in the league.

Tannehill's year 2 numbers:  60.4 % completions, 24 TD's, 17 INT's.

Tannehill's year 3 numbers:  66+ % completions, 27 TDs, 12 INTs. 

He was dinking and dunking a lot, yes (only 6.7 YPA in year 2, 6.9 in year 3), but that's still a solid 2nd & 3rd seasons.  Darnold, meanwhile, was ranked QB # 32 in year 2 and QB # 36 in year 3.

And it took until Year 7 for Tannehill to really become a top-half QB in the NFL.  That isn't what we're talking about here.  We're talking about Darnold going from the 36th QB in the league in Year 3 to an MVP candidate in Year 4.  That would absolutely be historically unprecedented.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold couldn't dream of doing what Tannehill was producing his first 3 years in the league.

He was dinking and dunking a lot, yes (only 6.7 YPA in year 2, 6.9 in year 3), but that's still a solid 2nd & 3rd seasons.  Darnold, meanwhile, was ranked QB # 32 in year 2 and QB # 36 in year 3.

And it took until Year 7 for Tannehill to really become a top-half QB in the NFL.  That isn't what we're talking about here.  We're talking about Darnold going from the 36th QB in the league in Year 3 to an MVP candidate in Year 4.  That would absolutely be historically unprecedented.

It must’ve taken you a solid 4-5 minutes to look up those numbers and type all that out

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah I was just kidding. I think all Jets fans realize Tanny wasn’t good but also wasn’t that bad so his “comeback” wouldn’t be comparable to Darnold  or at least it is less likely Darnold does it. I actually like Sam and was bummed watching him crumble last year but I am now completely over him. Completely over Rhule too after seeing the moves he made this offseason. I’d still take Robby back though, now that we have a guy that can get him the ball..

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/carolina-panthers-mccaffrey-darnold-given-mvp-odds

McCaffrey, Darnold Given MVP Odds

Could a Panther win the NFL MVP award in 2021?
SCHUYLER CALLIHAN
4 HOURS AGO

The Carolina Panthers offense is expected to be one of the most explosive units in the entire league in 2021 headlined by running back Christian McCaffrey and new starting quarterback Sam Darnold. 

The Panthers didn't have the ability to throw the ball downfield with a lot of success last season which is why they went out and traded for Darnold. No, he hasn't seen much success in the NFL but he has a great supporting cast and a strong coaching staff to help develop him. 

Although Mike Davis filled in nicely as the team's starting running back for 13 games in 2020, the coaching staff will be excited to have McCaffrey back and fully healthy. Just two years ago McCaffrey became the third ever player to go over the 1,000-yard mark in both rushing and receiving in the same season. Recently, McCaffrey told reporters that he is "back to 100% and ready to roll" for the 2021 season.

It might be a long shot for Darnold to win or even be in contention for the NFL's MVP award this year but he has been given 100/1 odds or (+10000) according to VegasInsider.com. Meanwhile, Christian McCaffrey has significantly better odds at 50/1 or (+5000).

The Panthers haven't had an MVP since Cam Newton won the award in 2015.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I live in NC.  Trust me, very few Panthers fans, if any, are excited about Sam Darnold being their starting QB. 

At best they just hope the Jets sucked so much that Darnold was secretly good, or he's "going to be a little better than you think", according to one I spoke to.  And even then, they know there are limits to this, and that Darnold isn't going to just start slinging the ball around like an MVP candidate.

i check the carolina huddle forum every time there is sam news to see how they react and there about 95% behind him. and the few who question it get killed.

you are right about why they think sam will be good.... because were the Jets and we do nothing right.

sam will be better with Carolina. he has no where to go but up. but there going to see that sam doesnt make them better, their weapons made sam better. 

14 hours ago, doitny said:

i check the carolina huddle forum every time there is sam news to see how they react and there about 95% behind him. and the few who question it get killed.

you are right about why they think sam will be good.... because were the Jets and we do nothing right.

sam will be better with Carolina. he has no where to go but up. but there going to see that sam doesnt make them better, their weapons made sam better. 

Message board Panthers fans are very different from real life Panthers fans, evidently.