Worst or most embarrassing concert that you've seen live.

Pretty funny topic that came up at work. 

Vanilla Ice, McHammer and Bobby Brown in their prime.  While young and dumb, definitely saw them live, definitely was dancing in the isles, definitely feeling myself thinking this was great sh*t.  Hilarious in retrospect.  To picture myself at those shows.  lmfao

My brother took me to Vanilla Ice.  He was 16 and I was 11 or 12, in Florida at this point. He played at the Orange County Civic Center.  I can remember Vanilla emerged out of this space aged icicle looking thing and had all this smoke and colored lasers all over the stage and he walked out like a robot and was like, "What is up Kiss-a-me (Kissimmee) Florida"  and busted out into Ice Ice Baby (he started and ended with it, lol) with all his dancers and full dance routine.  And me and my brother were dancing like nobody was watching.  Just losing our sh*t.  I remember bragging about it at school the next day.  

Me and my best friends went to McHammer at the Orlando Arena.  Probably like 14 at this point.  Parents dropped us off, there was 5 of us, seats altogether.  Boys2Men and  Jodeci opened up for him which was amazing.  Then Hammer came out and I've never seen a person move so much in an hour in a half in my whole life.  He never stopped, never took a break, danced his way onto the stage and danced his way off.  We were standing in our seats, dancing, singing, thinking we were so bad ass.   Pretty much the same story for Bobby Brown, TLC opened for him, rinse repeat the story.

Hundreds of legendary shows later and it's so funny these were like the first concerts of my life.  

I've got some others but I'll let others join in first. 

• Upvote 2

I went to a Jewel concert back in the day because I was trying to get with some chick by far the worst concert I ever went to.  Also went to a Stones concert in around 2003 at the Meadowlands they were about 30 years past their prime.  Motley Crue was pretty bad also Vince Neil was about 300 pounds and could barely breathe.   

Funny concert story I got backstage passes to a Metallica concert when I was 13 and James Hetfield got pissed at me because I was wearing a bootleg t-shirt I bought at Tri-County Flea Market. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, isired said:

I sawbThe Cure headlining with Love and Rockets and The Pixies opening at the Meadowlands in 1989... Pixies were great, L&R were good too, The Cure were just a bore live.

The Cure sucked live?  Wow, wouldnt have guessed that one.  I've seen the Pixies a bunch, always a great show.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I saw Chevelle in concert.  3 times.  Ugh.  

Also, Muse.  Though at least for that one, Cage the Elephant opened a little before they got big, and were solid.  Better than Muse by a lot.

Ofcourse you have.  lmfao

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, undertow said:

I went to a Jewel concert back in the day because I was trying to get with some chick by far the worst concert I ever went to.  Also went to a Stones concert in around 2003 at the Meadowlands they were about 30 years past their prime.  Motley Crue was pretty bad also Vince Neil was about 300 pounds and could barely breathe.   

Funny concert story I got backstage passes to a Metallica concert when I was 13 and James Hetfield got pissed at me because I was wearing a bootleg t-shirt I bought at Tri-County Flea Market. ?

hahaha this is why it was a great topic, some of the like dads taking kids to Brittney Spears ones.   Or I was trying to get with this girl so I went to Sheryl Crow.  lmfao  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

hahaha this is why it was a great topic, some of the like dads taking kids to Brittney Spears ones.   Or I was trying to get with this girl so I went to Sheryl Crow.  lmfao  

This couldn’t not be a more accurate statement. March of 1999 took my daughter who was seven years old at the time to her first concert which naturally was CSNY. and they were absolutely fantastic. Approximately 3-4 months later took her and three friends to see Brittany Spears. Boy oh boy I can still hear the high pitched screeching from all the young kids in attendance and see the haggard look on all the dads faces as we walked out of Jones Beach theater after the show. Glad I only had to do that once 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CSNY said:

This couldn’t not be a more accurate statement. March of 1999 took my daughter who was seven years old at the time to her first concert which naturally was CSNY. and they were absolutely fantastic. Approximately 3-4 months later took her and three friends to see Brittany Spears. Boy oh boy I can still hear the high pitched screeching from all the young kids in attendance and see the haggard look on all the dads faces as we walked out of Jones Beach theater after the show. Glad I only had to do that once 

lol - the only concert my folks every took me to was Billy Joel and it was an amazing show.   I remember dreading it, thinking his music was lame and it made me an instant fan.

Never seen CSNY but I did get to see Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse and that was a wild show. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - the only concert my folks every took me to was Billy Joel and it was an amazing show.   I remember dreading it, thinking his music was lame and it made me an instant fan.

Never seen CSNY but I did get to see Neil Young w/ Crazy Horse and that was a wild show. 

I saw Jim Croce when I was about 9 or 10.  he played Farmingdale college and my mom was a student at the time with no babysitter.  

• Sympathy 1

It wasn't a bad show at all.  But it does qualify as embarrassing.  For the band.

I saw Foreigner at my college (SUNY Potsdam) on their first tour.  Their great debut album had recently been released.  But other than rock fanatics like me who knew Spooky Tooth (Mick Jones) or who were familiar with Ian McDonald, no one really knew the band.

They played a very good set to almost no applause after each song.  Think I was like one of three people who "whoo'd".   At one point, Mick Jones screamed "Wake up, Potsdam!" into the mic.  LOL.  I cringed.

• Haha 2

Thank God my boys weren't into that... only concert they wanted to see when they were too young to go by themselves was Green Day, who put on an awesome show.

Of course I sat through The Wiggles, Barney and others when they were real young.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I saw Jim Croce when I was about 9 or 10.  he played Farmingdale college and my mom was a student at the time with no babysitter.  
That's awesome. My parents took us to the ammual Harry Chapin benefit concerts at Huntington High School growing up, some great shows and guests. Would have loved to see Jim Croce, my dad loved his music, it was a staple in my house growing up. What a voice.
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, isired said:

Thank God my boys weren't into that... only concert they wanted to see when they were too young to go by themselves was Green Day, who put on an awesome show.

Of course I sat through The Wiggles, Barney and others when they were real young.

I tip my hat to your boys for wanting to see Green Day.  I never saw them live but once met them in an edit studio.  Super nice, down to earth guys.

2 minutes ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

That's awesome. My parents took us to the ammual Harry Chapin benefit concerts at Huntington High School growing up, some great shows and guests. Would have loved to see Jim Croce, my dad loved his music, it was a staple in my house growing up. What a voice.

Unless you saw him live, folks would have almost no idea how great/powerful Chapin was.  Fantastic storyteller and performer.  A true artist.  Saw him a couple of times back in the 70s.  I think at Brooklyn College.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I didn’t know who he was.  I was there as my mom didn’t have a babysitter.  

BUT doesn’t stop me from bragging I saw Croce.?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Unless you saw him live, folks would have almost no idea how great/powerful Chapin was.  Fantastic storyteller and performer.  A true artist.  Saw him a couple of times back in the 70s.  I think at Brooklyn College.

I LOVE to play Taxi and Cats in the Cradle on my Taylor.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I LOVE to play Taxi and Cats in the Cradle on my Taylor.  

If you're a father or son and don't tear up during "Cat's In the Cradle"?  You're not human.

Agree that they're very fun songs to play.  You probably play 'em a ton better than me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, isired said:

lmfao

I saw Green Day open for Off Spring in their hay day, pretty fun show at like 16 years old getting my ass beat in the mosh pit.  lol

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, undertow said:

Also went to a Stones concert in around 2003 at the Meadowlands they were about 30 years past their prime. 

I saw the Stones in Raleigh far more recently (about 2015) and they were fantastic.  I've heard from fans who have been to concerts of theirs for decades that confirmed they did indeed make a resurgence somehow, and were sounding better than they had in a long time.  Not sure what happened, but I was glad to see it.  

1 hour ago, isired said:
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

My parents loved Harry Chapin so much they named my sister after him.  No, they didn't name her Harry, lol.  They named her Chapin.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I saw the Stones in Raleigh far more recently (about 2015) and they were fantastic.  I've heard from fans who have been to concerts of theirs for decades that confirmed they did indeed make a resurgence somehow, and were sounding better than they had in a long time.  Not sure what happened, but I was glad to see it.  

Yeah I'm pretty sure they use back up tracks and vocal tracks these days....it's become far more acceptable over the past decade....also the worst place to see a concert is a football stadium.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh no.  The DMB mention gives me flashbacks too.  My sister was a huge fan.  Sooooo bad.  

He was all the rave when I was in college.   Huge group was going, chick I was obsessed with was going and begging me to go, so I do and I literally wanted to rip my ears off.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I went to see the legendary B.B. King when he was old, like 2004/5ish.  Could barely move around at this point.

The show was a hour in a half long.  And hour of it was his back up band, jamming out on and on and screaming into the mic - "are you ready to see B.B. King?", "the legendary B.B. King in the house ya'll" "can ya'll make some noise for the legendary B.B. King" - over and over again, then he comes out, play 3 songs, and is done for the night.  I'll never forget that night, we laughed so ******* hard when he left the stage, like we had just been punked or something. Paid like 60$ for the tickets, to see B.B. play 3 songs.  lol

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He was all the rave when I was in college.   Huge group was going, chick I was obsessed with was going and begging me to go, so I do and I literally wanted to rip my ears off.

We called the Dave Mathews/Phish crew back in the day the white hat hippies. Or the BMW hippies. lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

We called the Dave Mathews/Phish crew back in the day the white hat hippies. Or the BMW hippies. lol

lol - my guilty pleasure is jam bands.  I've seen Widespread Panic an ungodly amount of times.  I've seen Phish a bunch too, they put on a good show at least. DMB just laughable. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - my guilty pleasure is jam bands.  I've seen Widespread Panic an ungodly amount of times.  I've seen Phish a bunch too, they put on a good show at least. DMB just laughable. 

Wasn't a fan but the female to male ratio in the fanbase was solid.  I was mostly a metal head it was a sausage fest. ?

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Wasn't a fan but the female to male ratio in the fanbase was solid.  I was mostly a metal head it was a sausage fest. ?

My favorites genres growing up were punk and post punk/alternative which bled into some hard rock/hardcore/metal, etc so that's why I say a guilty pleasure.  I definitely spent more time in mosh pits then noodle dancing. 

• Upvote 1

Not embarrassing, but what comes to mind for the worst concert was Joe Jackson at Central Park in the 80s.  I really like Joe Jackson -- one of the best shows i ever saw was Joe at a small club on LI, but the Central Park show was awful.  He had an opening band that was an unknown group that he was mentoring/helping to get a start.  Forgot the name of the band, but they got booed off the stage.  It got worse after an announcement that these are friends of Joe's, lets welcome them back on stage.

Joe was pissed, did maybe a 30-45 minute set and walked off.  End of show.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Widespread Panic is coming to Wilmington in the Fall.  Strongly considering going to that one.