Worst or most embarrassing concert that you've seen live.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, munchmemory said:

Mark Mothersbaugh is a creative/musical genius.  Great songwriter as well composer of music for commercials and film/TV.  That said, I doubt I could take an entire concert of Devo.

First song I ever heard from Devo which blew me away with its humor and syncopated rhythm.  Also a pioneering video.

Thank god for Frank Zappa!

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

Thank god for Frank Zappa!

Frank is an immortal musician.  (Was wearing my Zappa t-shirt just yesterday.)  A genius 20th Century composer whose complicated musical scores/songs were, generally, misunderstood by most in that era.

Never saw him live which is one of my many disappointmens. 

28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Frank is an immortal musician.  (Was wearing my Zappa t-shirt just yesterday.)  A genius 20th Century composer whose complicated musical scores/songs were, generally, misunderstood by most in that era.

He was real good live. He had a Halloween night show at i think it was the Palladium. It was so long ago. I think that was the theatre. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Shi......t. Went with Gary Setzer. Brian's younger brother. Jeez. Memories.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Well I got Peed on by a hot chick at a motley Crue concert at the Beacon I believe in the late 80s. Somehow I had like second or third row seats and when the band started everybody piled forward and and this chick behind me was freaking out calling out all the band members names Hysterically. At some point she starts moaning And saying oh my god oh my god oh my God q I start feeling this warmth go down the back of my leg. 

Sure that was pee?

On 6/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, Lith said:

Saw McCartney about 5 years ago at Miller Park in Milwaukee.  Wasn't really excited about the show, but the wife wanted to see him, so we went.  He put on a great show.  Very entertaining.  Sat behind his piano, or with his guitar, spoke to the audience reminscing about about the music and his amazing career.  He still sounded great and he didn't try to act like something he is not anymore.

One thing I hate about seeing older performers is when a 60+ or 70+ year old performer tries to act like they are still in their 20s or 30s (I am talking about you, Steven Tyler and Rod Stewart).

The only one who can legitimately get away with prancing around on stage like a 20 year old is Mick Jagger.  He should never change that act.  It is sensational.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The only one who can legitimately get away with prancing around on stage like a 20 year old is Mick Jagger.  He should never change that act.  It is sensational.

Only time I have seen the Stones live was halftime of the seahawks-Steelers Super Bowl in 05.  Honestly, I don't remember much of the show, but I can see what you are saying. 

70+ year old Rod Stewart prancing around on stage in skin tight leggings singing Do ya think I'm Sexy?  No.

70+ year old Mick prancing around on stage singing Satisfaction.  Yes.

• Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

WebMD says otherwise!  

No way. Its a very very grey area. Nobody can agree on anything. Yea yea yea ive heard about that “gland” but it just doesnt add up. 
if 1 girl really can do it, the next 1000 are shooting pee because its all the rage

• 8 months later...

I am a big fan of Crowded House, have seen them about 3 or 4 times.

First time was in an awful echo chamber venue and the sound was garbage but the concert was good.

I almost walked out of one of their concerts before they actually started.  Neil Finn had his son be the opening act, about 30 minutes.  Just his son and his electric guitar doing 'experimental music'.  It was the worst ear bleeding awful putrid tripe I have ever heard in my life.  I am looking around at the rest of the audience and like me they are all just wincing and shaking their heads, some plugging the ears.

I was literally 30 seconds away from standing up and walking out, I couldn't hack it anymore.  But mercifully it ended and the real band took the stage and it was a great concert.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, munchmemory said:

Saw in in 1979 SUNY Stony Brook.  What a talent. Complex time changes, sounds... just ahead of his time.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

I lived out in Port Jeff Sta from 78-79.  Stony Brook days. 

I play golf with a guy (64), he went to Wake Forest in 1979 but lived in Port Jeff.  We met here in Charlotte.   We talk about those days. I went to Brentwood HS. He talks about back then how Brentwood was thought of as a dangerous place.  It was.  Crazy times. 

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am a big fan of Crowded House, have seen them about 3 or 4 times.

First time was in an awful echo chamber venue and the sound was garbage but the concert was good.

I almost walked out of one of their concerts before they actually started.  Neil Finn had his son be the opening act, about 30 minutes.  Just his son and his electric guitar doing 'experimental music'.  It was the worst ear bleeding awful putrid tripe I have ever heard in my life.  I am looking around at the rest of the audience and like me they are all just wincing and shaking their heads, some plugging the ears.

I was literally 30 seconds away from standing up and walking out, I couldn't hack it anymore.  But mercifully it ended and the real band took the stage and it was a great concert.

I saw Fleetwood Mac a few years back at MSG, Neil Finn joined them on the tour.  He fit in fantastic, they did "Dont Dream its Over" and w/ Stevie harmonizing.  It was quite good.  In fact, here it is, the sound jus sucks:

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:38 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Bob Dylan when Time Out of Mind came out, Kenny Wayne Sheppard Band opened.  It was amazing.

I saw Dylan open for the Grateful Dead in 1995 (I think) at Giants Stadium. Unfortunately, the LSD I took that day was so strong that my only memory of the concert was an old hippy trying to buy acid off my friend with a personal check and I was trying to figure out what he would write in the memo of the check. 

• Haha 3

Worst for me was a Night Ranger concert with Jefferson Starship. Jefferson Starship was fine but Night Ranger played so loud it was literally painful I filled my ears with gum and cloth to protect them and then did earmitts as well. It was so loud you could not hear some from 6" yelling at the top of their lungs. Was dragged to a concert of Let's Active, it was painfully bad.

Good but still somewhat disappointing: Jethro Tull saw them 3 times all were good but not as good as they should have been

Best concerts: Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel, The Who. Blue Oyster Cult in a bar in front of 100 people. Honorable mention to Cyndi Lauper who put on a terrific show in a  HS auditorium before she was really famous.

Most surprising and also excellent Guns and Roses opening for Aersosmith before GNR was famous.

And in the no one will care portion of this thread, I went to LA for a performance of the Carmina Burana which was so good it was like being at a rock concert.

• Upvote 1

Wait another. This was the worst due to disappointment.

So it was black sabbath with dio doing the greatest metal/rock album ever: Heaven and Hell reunion tour. 

It was at the Amalie Arena in Tampa. I got nosebleed seats. They were fine, but I HATED sitting down at a concert and being so FAR away.

So that was the last sit down/far away arena gig I ever saw. Turned down U2 and Rolling Stones seats after that. If I cant stand and dance and see fingers move, I dont go anymore

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Wait another. This was the worst due to disappointment.

So it was black sabbath with dio doing the greatest metal/rock album ever: Heaven and Hell reunion tour. 

It was at the Amalie Arena in Tampa. I got nosebleed seats. They were fine, but I HATED sitting down at a concert and being so FAR away.

So that was the last sit down/far away arena gig I ever saw. Turned down U2 and Rolling Stones seats after that. If I cant stand and dance and see fingers move, I dont go anymore

They had been announced as support to Maiden on the European tour, and tickets were crazy priced. Then Dio got cancer, and they pulled out of the tour. Who replaced them for the Irish date? Sweet Savage - a pub band from Belfast. Did the promoters give people a refund for this? Did they ****.

• 1 month later...

Radiohead(yes Radiohead) were by far my biggest disappointment live….just so far up their own @rses and refused to play most of their greatest tracks because of a dispute with the record label….that’s ok guys but when the fans have paid to hear Street Spirit, Creep, FPT, etc etc then just get over yourselves

Bjork was also terrible live….just a wild and incoherent ramble of squeaks and noises, had just seen Muse blow the doors off it mind you so nothing is going to sound good after that

On 6/25/2021 at 10:01 AM, munchmemory said:

Unless you saw him live, folks would have almost no idea how great/powerful Chapin was.  Fantastic storyteller and performer.  A true artist.  Saw him a couple of times back in the 70s.  I think at Brooklyn College.

Once again when it comes to music munchmemory is right on the mark. Harry Chapin was the most unique artist I have ever seen, he could make a whole auditorium feel like they were in his living room sitting on a couch with a beer and a doob going around the room (like we all did back in the mid-70's) After Harry was taken from us on the L.I.E. in 1981 I always said that he left a void that has never been filled since.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Oh and bad concerts the biggest disappointment for me was Aerosmith after looking forward to it after getting that first album. They were headlining at Madison Square Garden and Steve Tyler actually used the Mick Jagger line from Gimme Shelter "I lost a button on my trousers..." what a let down the whole show was and that turned me off to them forever-never bought another album and pretty much hated them ever since. Rick Derringer opened for them and blew them away.

There have been others Johnny Winters doing a slugfest of 1-4-5 slow blues in Asbury Park made me want to slice my wrists open and David Bromberg somewhere in NJ in 73 or 74 put me to sleep.

• Sympathy 1