*** College Football Game Day 12/04 ***

Beerfish

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Well, that sucked.  So damn frustrated with this team right now.  It was a great season but all year long I had two concerns.  The back end of our defense was vulnerable against a great offense, and if that happened, Stetson Bennett would not be good enough to win a shootout.  We needed 10-12 play drives to score (except for the one where Bama was called for like 4 penalties before the half), and they struck in 3-5 plays.  We couldn't answer and when we needed to put the game on Bennett's shouldders in the second half, he couldn't do it.

At least we should still get into the playoffs.  Michigan, Bama, Cincy all punched their tickets yesterday.  Last spot goes to either us or ND.  Still think we get the nod, but I don't think it is quite as clear cut as others -- partially because I always fear the worst for my team.  Undefetated regular season in SEC.  One loss to Bama in a Championship game.  Should be good enouogh.  But the Irish finished the season on a roll, and we just got blown out in our biggest game of the year.  I could see it going either way.

I just don’t get how Kirby/Monken didn’t get the WRs involved more.  The whole passing game was throwing to Bowers.  So frustrating to watch.  It’s like Groundhog Day for Kirby, he loves his game managers at QB.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I just don’t get how Kirby/Monken didn’t get the WRs involved more.  The whole passing game was throwing to Bowers.  So frustrating to watch.  It’s like Groundhog Day for Kirby, he loves his game managers at QB.  

Yup.  You wonder how he does not see it.  To win a Championship in 2021, you have to be able to win a shootout at some point during the season.  We hand the games to Stetson Bennett, who was great when we hold overmatched offenses to 10 points or less.  This was the game where we needed a guy like Daniels, who can throw deep, and strike quickly.  But he never really gave Daniels any serious reps in the weeks leading up to this game.  You would have thought Kirby would have learned something by getting beat by Saban two consecutive years where Bama was quick to change QBs at half time.  We needed an offense that could strike quickly after we fell behind two scores early in Q3.  Bennett was never bringing us back.

We recruit all these 5 stars but never play them (Fields Eason, Vandagriff, Daniels - Gunner Stockton coming in) while we trot out game managers and try to win the way Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes did.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why these 5 star QBs would want to come to Georgia.

At least Kirby should get a shot at redemption in a few weeks.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Bryce Young is a great QB and Bama has elite weapons who can get open against anyone. 

I just didn't think Bama's offensive line could block UGA based on how they've both played this year -- but they did. 

You're a lock for the playoff, more likley to be the 2 seed than to miss it IMO.

Notre Dame has zero ranked wins. Their best win is against... Wisconsin I think?

I hear ya.  We are probably in, but I need to hear the announcement before I completely accept it.  Its not like we played a tough schedule this year.  It looked really good on paper at the beginning of the year.  Clemson, Florida, Auburn, etc.  But the only ranked teams we beat are all in the 20s right now.  Clemson, Arkansas and Kentucky.  Not exactly a murderer's row that we went through.  

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  You wonder how he does not see it.  To win a Championship in 2021, you have to be able to win a shootout at some point during the season.  We hand the games to Stetson Bennett, who was great when we hold overmatched offenses to 10 points or less.  This was the game where we needed a guy like Daniels, who can throw deep, and strike quickly.  But he never really gave Daniels any serious reps in the weeks leading up to this game.  You would have thought Kirby would have learned something by getting beat by Saban two consecutive years where Bama was quick to change QBs at half time.  We needed an offense that could strike quickly after we fell behind two scores early in Q3.  Bennett was never bringing us back.

We recruit all these 5 stars but never play them (Fields Eason, Vandagriff, Daniels - Gunner Stockton coming in) while we trot out game managers and try to win the way Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes did.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why these 5 star QBs would want to come to Georgia.

At least Kirby should get a shot at redemption in a few weeks.  

No doubt.  It’s like he is so afraid to have any sort of controversy or competition at the QB position.  Kirby should be building this team with one goal, to beat Alabama.  You just can’t beat them with game managers at QB and not having you’re WRs involved at all.  

Hopefully they’ll be getting Pickens more involved for the re-match, he needs to have a big game. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No doubt.  It’s like he is so afraid to have any sort of controversy or competition at the QB position.  Kirby should be building this team with one goal, to beat Alabama.  You just can’t beat them with game managers at QB and not having you’re WRs involved at all.  

Hopefully they’ll be getting Pickens more involved for the re-match, he needs to have a big game. 

I just hope there is a rematch.  I am assuming Pickens was on a pitch count yesterday, becuase he made some plays when he was in there, but he seemed to play very limited snaps. 

Just now, Lith said:

I just hope there is a rematch.  I am assuming Pickens was on a pitch count yesterday, becuase he made some plays when he was in there, but he seemed to play very limited snaps. 

I think there will be.  Either Michigan or Cincinnati is a really good matchup for you guys.  Their styles play right into the strengths of your defense.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I think there will be.  Either Michigan or Cincinnati is a really good matchup for you guys.  Their styles play right into the strengths of your defense.  

I agree. I assume we would get MIchigan and Bama would get Cincy.  And I do like how we match up against them.

If we are in.  Just hard for me to be too confident right now after yesterday's game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Well, that sucked.  So damn frustrated with this team right now.  It was a great season but all year long I had two concerns.  The back end of our defense was vulnerable against a great offense, and if that happened, Stetson Bennett would not be good enough to win a shootout.  We needed 10-12 play drives to score (except for the one where Bama was called for like 4 penalties before the half), and they struck in 3-5 plays.  We couldn't answer and when we needed to put the game on Bennett's shouldders in the second half, he couldn't do it.

At least we should still get into the playoffs.  Michigan, Bama, Cincy all punched their tickets yesterday.  Last spot goes to either us or ND.  Still think we get the nod, but I don't think it is quite as clear cut as others -- partially because I always fear the worst for my team.  Undefetated regular season in SEC.  One loss to Bama in a Championship game.  Should be good enouogh.  But the Irish finished the season on a roll, and we just got blown out in our biggest game of the year.  I could see it going either way.

Georgia had only attempted 10 passes in the 4th quarter going into the game.  That is mind blowing but just goes to show how dominant your defense has been all year and I think it almost did you a disservice last night.  Bama was battled tested.  Been in dog fights since Florida.  You guys were completely untested.  All your big games this year were vs. teams having down years; Clemson, Florida, Auburn.  While this sucks, it could be a blessing in disguise for the playoffs, and yes, you guys are 100% in the playoff.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The strange thing is though, it does kind of become a controversy...maybe a strong word but you do start to question his decision making when it comes to picking his QB's.  You cant hide at that position and it's bizarre that he does, honestly.  You would think he would have learned his lesson by now but seemingly, he has not and it could ultimately become his legacy.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

ND's  loss to Cinncinati means Georgia gets the nod. it's not even a question. If ND had stayed put in the ACC(as they were last year for the COVID season), might be a different story.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The strange thing is though, it does kind of become a controversy...maybe a strong word but you do start to question his decision making when it comes to picking his QB's.  You cant hide at that position and it's bizarre that he does, honestly.  You would think he would have learned his lesson by now but seemingly, he has not and it could ultimately become his legacy.  

You would have thought the whole Justin Fields thing would have opened his eyes a bit more.  But he actually has doubled down with an even more limited game manager QB in Bennett.   I would love to see Georgia bring in one of these highly rated dual threat QBs, having a QB who can run could totally change that offense and it’s something that Alabama has struggled with in the past.   

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You would have thought the whole Justin Fields thing would have opened his eyes a bit more.  But he actually has doubled down with an even more limited game manager QB in Bennett.   I would love to see Georgia bring in one of these highly rated dual threat QBs, having a QB who can run could totally change that offense and it’s something that Alabama has struggled with in the past.   

Especially since he ultimately wants to be a running team.  Having the additional blocker for a running QB is huge and actually helps your running game.  Especially for a program like Georgia that has depth at OL and RB.

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Georgia had only attempted 10 passes in the 4th quarter going into the game.  That is mind blowing but just goes to show how dominant your defense has been all year and I think it almost did you a disservice last night.  Bama was battled tested.  Been in dog fights since Florida.  You guys were completely untested.  All your big games this year were vs. teams having down years; Clemson, Florida, Auburn.  While this sucks, it could be a blessing in disguise for the playoffs, and yes, you guys are 100% in the playoff.

This is what I am telling myself right now.  I really want another shot at Bama, and I am sure the guys in that locker room feel the same way.  I will feel better when the playoff field is announced in a couple of hours.  

While an SEC Championship would have been really nice, the big prize is still out there. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is what I am telling myself right now.  I really want another shot at Bama, and I am sure the guys in that locker room feel the same way.  I will feel better when the playoff field is announced in a couple of hours.  

While an SEC Championship would have been really nice, the big prize is still out there. 

Watching the game yesterday it seems like a game Ala wins 8 out if 10 times. Ala will score 30+ and Georgia seems unlikely  to do that. That said Ala can't really run the ball which could be a fatal flaw.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yeah, I kept telling my buddy last night, that this situation reminds me of when Saban lost the SEC but won the Nat'y a while back.  I remember Spurrier being asked in an interview short after that season about what's harder, winning the SEC Champ or the Nat'y?  And gave his classic Spurrier, "whelp, huh, uhhh, I'd go ask Coach Saban".

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Watching the game yesterday it seems like a game Ala wins 8 out if 10 times. Ala will score 30+ and Georgia seems unlikely  to do that. That said Ala can't really run the ball which could be a fatal flaw.

Two sequences, imo, changed the game.  Early in the second quarter we were up 10, I was feeling pretty good about things.  But they get the big play to Williams, we go 3 and out and then they go 90 yards in about 5 plays and we went 3 and out again.  You could sense it getting away from us.  Had a chance at the end of the half whe we tied it, but they scored back to back TDs with consecutive possessions before and after the half and we were done.

Eliminate the big plays, get pressure on Young, and get WRs into the game plan.  We can win with Bennett as long as we play with a lead.  That said, I really hope Kirby uses the next few weeks to get Daniels ready in the event we need him.  Fall behind and Bennett is not the guy to bring us back.

No way I will feel confident if we get to a rematch with them, but I still want to see it badly.

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Thoughts on Venables leaving?

I think there's legit argument for Notre Dame being in.  Most team's 13th data point Is against a community college.  I think if they played today, Notre Dame would beat Cincinnati and it's about the "four best teams" as people like to say when arguing against the Irish.  

However, I'd rank them the same as the AP:

1. Bama

2. Michigan

3. UGA

4. Bearcats 

I'm a traditionalist and head to head means everything. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think there's legit argument for Notre Dame being in.  Most team's 13th data point Is against a community college.  I think if they played today, Notre Dame would beat Cincinnati and it's about the "four best teams" as people like to say when arguing against the Irish last year when they lost in the ACC title game.  

However, I'd rank them the same as the AP:

1. Bama

2. Michigan

3. UGA

4. Bearcats 

I'm a traditionalist and head to head means everything. 

I agree.  ND has played very well down the stretch.  If they played Cincy today, I think ND would be favored.  But I agree with you, the head to head is too much to overcome.  Whatever decision is made, I sure hope Kelly's decision to move on does not factor into the decision.

I’m surprised I seem to be the only one harping on Norte Dame sitting home yesterday while every other one of these teams was playing a Conference Championship game.

As far as I’m concerned, unless they’re clearly a top 2 team, I’d never give the Irish the benefit of the doubt until they join a conference.

You want the benefits of being independent? Accept the downside.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m surprised I seem to be the only one harping on Norte Dame sitting home yesterday while every other one of these teams was playing a Conference Championship game.

As far as I’m concerned, unless they’re clearly a top 2 team, I’d never give the Irish the benefit of the doubt until they join a conference.

You want the benefits of being independent? Accept the downside.

I agree with you.  I think it hurts their resume not being in a conference.  Had they been in a conference, had one loss, and won a Conference Championship, there could have been some discusssion between us or ND to get in.  Same way you could have made a case for Oklahoma State had they won yesterday.  Sitting home while the other contenders played hurt them yesterday.

• Upvote 1

ESPN:"No. 1 Alabama will face No. 4 Cincinnati in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic and No. 2 Michigan will face No. 3 Georgia in the Capital One Orange Bowl on Dec. 31. The winners will play on Jan. 10 in the national championship game in Indianapolis." At a loss why they're wedded to New Year's Eve for the semis and a Monday night for the final. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Cristobal to Miami, no real surprise there.

Bigger question that has not yet been answered.  Is Lith headed to Miami for New Years Eve trip to the Orange Bowl?  Probably not; but it is not completely out of the question.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Bigger question that has not yet been answered.  Is Lith headed to Miami for New Years Eve trip to the Orange Bowl?  Probably not; but it is not completely out of the question.

Part of your new JN Mod contract states clearly the need to stay in the Lounge every Friday thru Monday. 
Georgia will have to win without you. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Part of your new JN Mod contract states clearly the need to stay in the Lounge every Friday thru Monday. 
Georgia will have to win without you. 

No.  Its more like the contract with the Mrs.  If it wasn't New years Eve, this would be a much more likely possibility.  And if tickets were not going for upwards of $1K.  

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Let’s go Cincy. Anyone but Bama

I hear ya, but man, I want Bama so bad. 

If we win the Nat'y by beating Michigan and Cincy, it will ring a little hollow to me because of the Bama loss.  Avenging that loss would be perfect.  And I think it is a moot point anyway, becuase I don't see Cincy beating Bama.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

I hear ya, but man, I want Bama so bad. 

If we win the Nat'y by beating Michigan and Cincy, it will ring a little hollow to me because of the Bama loss.  Avenging that loss would be perfect.  And I think it is a moot point anyway, becuase I don't see Cincy beating Bama.

Its all about the Qb position. Young can make plays out of the pocket and the OL held Georgia pass rush down. Your OL & QB had problems against the rush and those Bama receivers are tough to defend.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Boozer

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Its all about the Qb position. Young can make plays out of the pocket and the OL held Georgia pass rush down. Your OL & QB had problems against the rush and those Bama receivers are tough to defend.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Boozer

Happy Holidays to you too!!!

To me, it is all about the pass rush.   We have to generate pressure if we get a rematch, otherwise let Young stand ina  clean pocket and we have no chance.  After the way they played against Auburn, I was very surprised at how well the Bama OL stood up.  I was concerned all year that the back end of our D was vulnerable.  There were several times during the season when we got beat over the top, but the QB either did not have time or was not accurate enough to make us pay.  Young and Williams made us pay.

• Upvote 1