*** College Football Game Day 12/04 ***

Beerfish

Will there be joy in Mudville?

Obviously lots of huge nat champ implication games today.

Biggest game of the year between Georgia and Alabama

Oklahoma State needs to pummel Baylor and they may have an outside shot if other teams fall.

Another chance for Cincy to show if they truly do deserve,  I do not think Houston is a push over.

Iowa (The home of the Jets 2nd 1st round draft pick) might have one last big game in them.  At the very least I think they are going to give Michigan trouble if not down right upset them.

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

Heard one of the “betting guru’s” on the radio. Liked Iowa+10.5 and under49.5 in GA/Alabama.

Sure hope they hit the under in our game -- would be good for us.  Don't think we can win a shootout against them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Yup.  1986.  Last time one of my teams won it all.  A lot of close calls and tough losses since.  35 years, 1 month, 7 days and counting since I have rooted for a Champion.

Thank goodness I have the Devils. Had tix for 25 years and saw all 3 cups. Little rough now, but  think they will be good again pretty soon.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the Hawks tonight.  Ferentz has been pretty successful against Harbaugh.

I could see a scenario where we get our doors blown off but I don’t thinK that is likely. 

Iowa has a great defense and the best special teams I’ve seen in college football this year.  Those things still matter.  If we can get a few unexpected big plays on offense, that is our path to a victory.

• Upvote 1

I’ve thought this for a few seasons now, but the last few weeks of games in college football have me convinced that the powerful run game and stout defense is starting to make a big comeback to counter the high flying spread based offenses.  

I do believe eventually this will happen in the NFL.  Mostly out of necessity for teams that don’t have the tippy top QBs.  Could be awhile though. In the NFL It’s only been a year or two seeing the “college offense” that has been popular for nearly a decade.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ve thought this for a few seasons now, but the last few weeks of games in college football have me convinced that the powerful run game and stout defense is starting to make a big comeback to counter the high flying spread based offenses.  

I do believe eventually this will happen in the NFL.  Mostly out of necessity for teams that don’t have the tippy top QBs.  Could be awhile though. In the NFL It’s only been a year or two seeing the “college offense” that has been popular for nearly a decade.

Bo and Woody ball back in vogue??

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I thought this year was always going to be a “down” year for the prolific offenses.   Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State all lost QBs that went in the top 15 of the draft.  It’s hard to reload with inexperienced QBs and expect to be just as explosive on offense.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought this year was always going to be a “down” year for the prolific offenses.   Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State all lost QBs that went in the top 15 of the draft.  It’s hard to reload with inexperienced QBs and expect to be just as explosive on offense.  

And that’s part of the reason I think you are seeing some programs switch to the other approach.  Even the best programs are going to have a QB miss.  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

And that’s part of the reason I think you are seeing some programs switch to the other approach.  Even the best programs are going to have a QB miss.  

The problem is that you better have an elite defense to win with that approach, at least if we are talking about National Championships.  Georgia has one, but they are scarce.  This year it’s aligned perfectly for UGA.   

• Upvote 2

A large difference college to pros re run game vs passing game. 

Throw the ball up for grabs three times a game and you get three 15 yard pi calls.

NFL you get three 40 yard plays.

I still think you need a high powered passing game to go all the way with the way rules are and called in the NFL.

Could a team like Tennessee with Derrick henry win a few playoff games?  Yeah, I don;t see them running the playoff table without being able to have at least one game where you score big.