How to run the Jets draft in one easy flow chart! ( Joe D cheat sheet)

FA almost never solves an issue, in fact it is most often fools gold.

If your unit is almost set then add Fa to take it to that next step, if you have a huge hole on your roster do not let FA think you have solved it.

For instance for the Jets, Tight end.  The jets have had the worst Ts in the league for years.  In the modern NFL a good to great TE is very important.  Even if we sign a FA Te we should be drafting two.

OMG! Overkill why draft two TEs!  For one thing you are not getting a huge difference maker in FA, two the Mims effect, you have to insulate yourself vs guys that do not work out.  You cannot assume the guy you just drafted solves the problem.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If your unit is almost set then add Fa to take it to that next step, if you have a huge hole on your roster do not let FA think you have solved it.

For instance for the Jets, Tight end.  The jets have had the worst Ts in the league for years.  In the modern NFL a good to great TE is very important.  Even if we sign a FA Te we should be drafting two.

OMG! Overkill why draft two TEs!  For one thing you are not getting a huge difference maker in FA, two the Mims effect, you have to insulate yourself vs guys that do not work out.  You cannot assume the guy you just drafted solves the problem.

I'd also say go with the strength of the draft. If its deep at a position dont just wait and take value. Stack one position and it becomes a strength and depth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Exactly. What a feeling it would be if we could draft top end talent but not immediately push them into carrying the team mode. 

no real criticism of the flow chart.  about the only i can say is there's no telling if a player is going to be a perreninal all pro no matter what his draft position is. the jets have drafted leo, adams, qwill, wilson and avt in the top 10 of the past drafts and none of them have achieved all pro except for adams. 

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

no real criticism of the flow chart.  about the only i can say is there's no telling if a player is going to be a perreninal all pro no matter what his draft position is. the jets have drafted leo, adams, qwill, wilson and avt in the top 10 of the past drafts and none of them have achieved all pro except for adams. 

This was definitely the traditional strategy and the reason Gettleman drafted Barkley.  

The Flow Chart, which I think is excellent, assumes that JD is trying to build a competitive team in 2022/2023.  I think that is how he keeps his job.  

But I agree that drafted an Edge just because we need one who ends up meh, while passing over an All Pro safety, could be an issue.   When I think about the Adams pick, the right pick there was him? Mike Williams or the Two QBs.