OT: Animal rights activist chains herself to basket to protest Timberwolves owner

https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/protestor-chains-herself-to-basket-during-timberwolves-grizzlies/

The Timberwolves aren’t done with protesters delaying their games.

An animal rights activist chained herself to the basket stanchion Saturday during Game 1 of the Timberolves-Grizzlies playoff series in Memphis, Tenn.

BASKETBALL-NBA-MEM-MIN_.thumb.jpg.0eea2cbeac6859787bf60107bfc56474.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-075324_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8fb67d0f414ea50d067f25894af0ceff.jpg

The woman, wearing a T-shirt that read: “Glen Taylor Roasts Animals Alive” — appeared during a stoppage of play in the second quarter with yellow chains and attempted to secure herself to the stanchion after throwing flyers on the floor.

The protester, who appears to be another member of the animal rights group Direct Action Everywhere (DxE), was unchained by security before five people carried her out of the main area to the cheers of fans inside FedExForum.

The protest seemed to be related to the one carried out by a woman who tried to glue her hand to the court before the Timberwolves’ play-in game against the Clippers in Minneapolis on Tuesday night.

The animal rights group Direct Action Everywhere — which tweeted that the person who chained her self to the basket was Zoe Rosenburg — has accused Taylor, the Timberwolves’ majority owner, of the inhumane killing of 5.3 million chickens in a recent mass killing following an outbreak of bird flu in Taylor’s Iowa egg factory.

Screenshot_20220417-075759_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee38df06ebf6d39eec6f9c3dbb11b78b.jpg

Taylor is in his last season as the team’s owner. The NBA approved a $1.5 billion deal that will net Alex Rodriguez and partner Marc Lore, the Walmart CEO, a 20 percent minority share of the Timberwolves with chances to buy more stakes in the team in 2022 and beyond to make them the majority owners.. The deal also includes an ownership stake in the WNBA’s Minnesota Lynx.

Taylor did get some good news in the end as his seventh-seeded Timberwolves stunned the No. 2 seed Grizzlies, 130-117, to take a 1-0 lead in the Western Conference first-round best-of-seven series. Anthony Edwards led Minnesota with 36 points in his first playoff game of his career.

37 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I'm confused. Timberwolves, Grizzlies, chickens... too many animals.

Has nothing to do with the team names.

One of the owners also (I believe) owns a chicken farm(s).  Like for wholesale production of chickens for food, i.e. factory farming.

A farm had an outbreak of chicken flu (a bad thing, very catchy).

So as they do in factory farming, they basically burned up a whole ton of chickens alive.  

The issue on the activist side is one of ethical humane treatment of animals, if I get this right.  i.e. if you have to kill them, do it in a humane way.

Given that most folks don't give a sh*t how their veal or foie gras is tortured before they get it, it seems a mostly futile effort tbqh, especially for chickens.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Has nothing to do with the team names.

One of the owners also (I believe) owns a chicken farm(s).  Like for wholesale production of chickens for food, i.e. factory farming.

A farm had an outbreak of chicken flu (a bad thing, very catchy).

So as they do in factory farming, they basically burned up a whole ton of chickens alive.  

The issue on the activist side is one of ethical humane treatment of animals, if I get this right.  i.e. if you have to kill them, do it in a humane way.

Given that most folks don't give a sh*t how their veal or foie gras is tortured before they get it, it seems a mostly futile effort tbqh, especially for chickens.

Thanks. You should have written the article. Clear and concise. Now at least I know what I'm making fun of. And I feel bad. So I'm thinking a barbequed chicken sandwich would be a good pick me up. :)

9 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Thanks. You should have written the article. Clear and concise. Now at least I know what I'm making fun of. And I feel bad. So I'm thinking a barbequed chicken sandwich would be a good pick me up. :)

JMO, I have no issue with eating food animals.  But I do think how they are treated and how they are killed is worthy of conversation. 

Being the cheapest isn't always the best, for the animal, for the owner or for the quality of the food.

Many folks know my wife is a Veg Head/Animal Rights person, so I'm partial to those views.  But I don't think this kind of protest is the right way to go.

• Upvote 2

Its unfortunate - that bird flu is bad stuff, spreads quickly and easily, and if you need to control it, you need to destroy 5 million birds in a very short time frame.  There are a couple of ways they can do that, and in this case, they basically cut the airflow into the barns, and also add heat and/or carbon dioxide to speed the process up. So all things considered, they got through the process as fast as they could, and as humanely as possible to limit suffering. 

There's actually been quite an outbreak of bird flu, and a lot of these large factory farms are dealing with it.  I read something like 24 million chickens had to be destroyed in the last 2 months (which I'm sure is causing supply chain issues to boot).

These protests often fall on deaf ears, and are quite pointless. Most people either don't care, or like most of us, realize that bad sh*t like bird flu happens and you do what you have to do.  Groups like DxE basically say all the possible means of dealing with it are inhumane, but they don't really offer an alternative... 

There's nothing wrong with being concerned about how our food animals are treated.  Buying chicken and beef from local farmers where possible is a good thing, but there's still going to be times like this where tough decisions are made. At least something like this is to stop disease - during Covid shutdown, factory farms were mass-killing pigs and such because meatpacking plants weren't staffed. Think of all those ribz wasted :(

On 4/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, Warfish said:

JMO, I have no issue with eating food animals.  But I do think how they are treated and how they are killed is worthy of conversation. 

Being the cheapest isn't always the best, for the animal, for the owner or for the quality of the food.

Many folks know my wife is a Veg Head/Animal Rights person, so I'm partial to those views.  But I don't think this kind of protest is the right way to go.

Eating meat is fine, but that is why you should be well raised animals.

We get a half cow from a friend of ours who is a rancher.   That cow has one bad day in it's life, it is raised in a pasture, eating grass.   As much as possible we get free range eggs, free range chicken, wild caught fish.   It's healthier and better for the animal, and for us.

A great documentary about this is Sacred Cow, (it was on Amazon, don't know where you can watch it free now)