Declare top 4 players on the board for Jets

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Why haven't the Jets extended Fant up until now.

That’s the $64000 question. No news has ever come out about extending him. Understanding that the cap space was originally intended on signing a WR1, I wonder if JD now pivots to extending Fant before draft day.

Or, maybe just maybe talks have happened but Fant is willing to play out his last year thus betting on himself. If he indeed wins the left tackle spot ( chances are he will) he’ll definitely be a sought after free agent commodity.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Or, maybe just maybe talks have happened but Fant is willing to play out his last year thus betting on himself. If he indeed wins the left tackle spot ( chances are he will) he’ll definitely be a sought after free agent commodity.

I think that's what Fant is counting on.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Becton probably isnt on the roster if Ekonwu is the pick.

Not a given. 

Reality is, you draft Ekonwu - then one if Becton or Fant is the “we’ll see how it plays out” solution for the other side.

Lots of thoughtful responses here from very knowledgeable fans.  I don’t know whether any of them are the same.  

for the top 5 you have to grade bust probability.  They cost too much to bust.  They need to start day 1 and contribute.  

1-Hutch-highest floor.  
2-Ikey-too physical and smart.  He will figure it out. 
3-Sauce-pro bowl corner year 1. 
4-Walker-tough one.   His testing and pedigree is too good.  He will be ok.   

Thib and Neal have too much bust potential.   JJ does not have physicals for 4

i think the value for JD in this draft is Sauce/Ikey, best Edge, best WR.  

Let’s play look at the common sense evidence.  Robert Saleh is our HC, his Defense only works with a 4 man rush and heavy early pressure off the edge.  If he has a say it’s edge.  If JD has the last work it could be Okwuno.  

I’d be very surprised if pick #4 wasn’t either and edge rusher or one of the T.

6 hours ago, Alka said:

I have a hard time with this.  On one hand, you are 100% correct.  On the other hand, the Jets are trying to not just build the team for this year, but for the future as well.  After Fans leaves via free agency after this season, we will have a hole at tackle.  Do you think the Jets want to pay Fant $15M per year, which is what he will probably want? Why haven't the Jets extended Fant up until now.  Will Becton finally be able to play an entire season after missing 95% of last season, and a good part of season #1?  Do the Jets have a backup plan to protect Zach if Becton gets injured again?  

If the Jets take Ekwonu, the upgrade over Fant is immediate, if you believe that Fant is average at the tackle spot.  

Of course, your answer is correct, as I have mentioned, but do you think that Joe Douglas should even consider the points I mentioned, or perhaps pick a lower tier tackle later on in the draft, or not even address it?  Not addressing it would certainly give Fant great bargaining power come the offseason.  How about if Fant doesn't live up to the playing standard of the last half of last season?  

I'm not against draft a tackle, I'm just against doing it in round 1. If they take one in round 2 I still wouldn't  be 100% pleased but could live with it. 

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You are not accounting for the fact there is a very real possibility we could go into 2023 with no viable starting OTs. Fant on last year, Becton a giant ? And injuries. We may not have a chance to take a starting caliber in the next draft. Not saying we should take one at 4 but it is a logical choice.

I'm not opposed to adding depth but I'm  fairly sure either Fant or Becton will be on the team at a minimum and will be a foundational player. There is a chance they both stay here. I know a lot of people see Fant leaving via FA, but I really don't  see teams backing up the truck in order to sign him. He most likely gets the league avg or slightly higher for his position. If that is the situation,  the Jets can sign him to an extention. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, More Cowbell said:

What is amazing here is we have seen on this very forum, thread after thread ripping Mr. Coffee for taking DT afrer DT high because they were the BPA formula and totally ignored need. Now we actually have what should be 2 solid OT already on the team but seems like a lot of people would be happy to take another one in Ekwonu. If Ekwonu is the 4th pick, it's banners and billboards time.

A dominant Oline may be the quickest way to respectability for the Jets, competence for our young QB, and Douglas saving his job.  All that said, I probably would take Hutch or KT if they are available at 4.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

A dominant Oline may be the quickest way to respectability for the Jets, competence for our young QB, and Douglas saving his job.  All that said, I probably would take Hutch or KT if they are available at 4.

The Jets have put an exorbitant amount of resouces into the OL already. Becton and AVT were both high draft picks in back to back drafts. Fant was a key FA addition for the OL and was one of the only pickups made that didn't  get a one year deal from JD. They have also signed G Laklin Thomlinson. How much more resources  do we need to spend there?

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets have put an exorbitant amount of resouces into the OL already. Becton and AVT were both high draft picks in back to back drafts. Fant was a key FA addition for the OL and was one of the only pickups made that didn't  get a one year deal from JD. They have also signed G Laklin Thomlinson. How much more resources  do we need to spend there?

If this is not a rhetorical question, I would be fine with the Jets grabbing Linderbaum at 35 if he makes it that far.