Brady Quinn, Mr Bust himself weighed in on ZW today...

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets will be very disappointed in  Zach Wilson turns into Jim McMahon.  Sure they would love a super bowl, but they didn't draft him to be a game manager.

I do believe though, they are trying to bring him along slowly and if he plays a safe, steady game like a quality game manager this year they wouldn't be upset about it...but it's not what the goal for him is.

Exactly, you don’t take a guy #2 in the entire draft to be a game manager.If you do you should be shot on sight.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Jets fans, since I've been on these boards, have always valued avoiding a perceived embarrassment/disappointment about the QB you have suddenly becoming good somewhere else, despite having no history of this happening, above actually finding a QB.

The only QB who went from terrible to good on a team other than the one that acquired him that I can think of is Rich Gannon. And that "only" took 13 years into his career to "develop" into a FQB for 3 seasons.

So even if you have "the next Rich Gannon," is the plan to wait over a decade for him to develop? Better to grab other teams' failed castoffs for pennies on the dollar as backups, if you want to play the waiting game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The only QB who went from terrible to good on a team other than the one that acquired him that I can think of is Rich Gannon. And that "only" took 13 years into his career to "develop" into a FQB for 3 seasons.

So even if you have "the next Rich Gannon," is the plan to wait over a decade for him to develop? Better to grab other team's failed castoffs for pennies on the dollar as backups, if you want to play the waiting game.

I agree that you do not hang on to a player because you are afraid he will succeed elsewhere.  I can agree to happily try other team's cast offs.  I also don't know what you consider "terrible" but there have been several players that performed better at later stops.   Subject to argument about definitions of terrible and good and my memory being faulty, I would submit the following: 

Testaverde and Young both sucked with the Bucs.  Favre was drunk and 0 for 4 with the Falcons.   Kurt Warner was cut by the Packers then spent time in the Arena and World Leagues before tearing things up with the Rams.  Coaching probably has a huge part in it as Jake Delhomme and UDFA from the Saints was Warner's teammate in Amsterdam and he ended up a pretty good QB with Carolina.  Hasselbeck part of a long line of nobody's behind Favre who ended up having a nice career in Seattle.  Flutie kinda sucked with the Bears, but had some success with the Pats and Bills before and after an extended stay in Canada.  I don't know how successful you'd consider him, but Trent Green was better with KC than Washington or SD who drafted him.  Stan Humphries better in SD than Washington.  Obviously, Tannehill.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that you do not hang on to a player because you are afraid he will succeed elsewhere.  I can agree to happily try other team's cast offs.  I also don't know what you consider "terrible" but there have been several players that performed better at later stops.   Subject to argument about definitions of terrible and good and my memory being faulty, I would submit the following: 

Testaverde and Young both sucked with the Bucs.  Favre was drunk and 0 for 4 with the Falcons.   Kurt Warner was cut by the Packers then spent time in the Arena and World Leagues before tearing things up with the Rams.  Coaching probably has a huge part in it as Jake Delhomme and UDFA from the Saints was Warner's teammate in Amsterdam and he ended up a pretty good QB with Carolina.  Hasselbeck part of a long line of nobody's behind Favre who ended up having a nice career in Seattle.  Flutie kinda sucked with the Bears, but had some success with the Pats and Bills before and after an extended stay in Canada.  I don't know how successful you'd consider him, but Trent Green was better with KC than Washington or SD who drafted him.  Stan Humphries better in SD than Washington.  Obviously, Tannehill.

I suppose I should've said "QBs who play terrible for their first team then become FQBs for a subsequent team." I do mean with a reasonable sample size.

• Favre appeared in 2 games with the Falcons and threw 4 passes.
  • Warner never played a down for the Packers.
  • Hasselbeck had all of 29 attempts with the Packers and rode the bench behind a HOFer. Sidenote: Packers are pretty good at finding QBs.
  • Trent Green was not terrible with his first team (23/11 TD/INT in his 2nd year).
  • Flutie and Delhomme I don't consider FQBs.
  • I don't know enough about Humphries' career to have an opinion but just looked at his stats, he only threw 100 attempts with his first team.
  • Tannehill was basically the same player in both MIA/TEN (two 4,000 yard seasons and a third at 3,900+ in MIA, far from anyone's definition of "terrible"). He is an example of the type of QB that can hit the next level with a good team (like a poor man's Matt Stafford). As we all know, I called this loudly and perhaps obnoxiously. Cool trivia: Tannehill's top 3 yardage seasons were in MIA, not TEN. Sure terrible QBs probably will improve with a better supporting cast a level or 2 to merely "bad" or maybe "serviceable in spurts," but I do not believe and will never believe that a better cast can elevate guys who are among the worst in the league like 8 levels into FQBs -- if so, where are they?? We saw what a terrible QB with an incredible supporting cast looks like -- his name is Mark Sanchez.

Steve Young is a good example. I forgot about him. So the universe of next-stop, terrible-to-FQBs is two guys while the list of QBs who sucked in their first stop and sucked forever is in the hundreds. 

The odds favor not waiting for a terrible-performing QB or, at a minimum, bringing in legit competition while you do.

All this being said, I want BYU to play as much as possible this year. His sample size is still a little light. There's still hope although I believe it to be fleeting.

55 minutes ago, jgb said:

I suppose I should've said "QBs who play terrible for their first team then become FQBs for a subsequent team." I do mean with a reasonable sample size.

• Favre appeared in 2 games with the Falcons and threw 4 passes.
  • Warner never played a down for the Packers.
  • Hasselbeck had all of 29 attempts with the Packers and rode the bench behind a HOFer. Sidenote: Packers are pretty good at finding QBs.
  • Trent Green was not terrible with his first team (23/11 TD/INT in his 2nd year).
  • Flutie and Delhomme I don't consider FQBs.
  • I don't know enough about Humphries' career to have an opinion but just looked at his stats, he only threw 100 attempts with his first team.
  • Tannehill was basically the same player in both MIA/TEN (two 4,000 yard seasons and a third at 3,900+ in MIA, far from anyone's definition of "terrible"). He is an example of the type of QB that can hit the next level with a good team (like a poor man's Matt Stafford). As we all know, I called this loudly and perhaps obnoxiously. Cool trivia: Tannehill's top 3 yardage seasons were in MIA, not TEN. Sure terrible QBs probably will improve with a better supporting cast a level or 2 to merely "bad" or maybe "serviceable in spurts," but I do not believe and will never believe that a better cast can elevate guys who are among the worst in the league like 8 levels into FQBs -- if so, where are they?? We saw what a terrible QB with an incredible supporting cast looks like -- his name is Mark Sanchez.

Steve Young is a good example. I forgot about him. So the universe of next-stop, terrible-to-FQBs is two guys while the list of QBs who sucked in their first stop and sucked forever is in the hundreds. 

The odds favor not waiting for a terrible-performing QB or, at a minimum, bringing in legit competition while you do.

All this being said, I want BYU to play as much as possible this year. His sample size is still a little light. There's still hope although I believe it to be fleeting.

Matt Schaub? 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's your response to my detailed response? Throw another dart, lol?

PS: Schaub started 2 games with ATL.

Just wondering.  I also want to see what Wilson has more than doing anything else at QB.  I was just mentioning names.  I think there are a bunch of guys that get the franchise treatment that blow.  There are guys that probably would perform much better if they ever got a serious shot.  Guys that have already seen the adversity and didn't crawl up into a ball. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Just wondering.  I also want to see what Wilson has more than doing anything else at QB.  I was just mentioning names.  I think there are a bunch of guys that get the franchise treatment that blow.  There are guys that probably would perform much better if they ever got a serious shot.  Guys that have already seen the adversity and didn't crawl up into a ball. 

I was just busting chops, amigo.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Facts said:

Yeah Aaron has always been one of the smaller QB’s in the NFL. Did you just find this out?

He's very sensitive about it, too. I remember some sports show pranked him one time where he came in for a photo shoot and the cameraman was making comments how he's "not as tall as he expected." Rodgers flipped. They had to end the prank and tell him it was a goof. He's a mercurial sonuvagun. Helluva QB, though. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

He's very sensitive about it, too. I remember some sports show pranked him one time where he came in for a photo shoot and the cameraman was making comments how he's "not as tall as he expected." Rodgers flipped. They had to end the prank and tell him it was a goof. He's a mercurial sonuvagun. Helluva QB, though. 

lol that’s pretty funny

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:09 AM, Sammybighead said:

Went back and looked at that INT that everyone says was so terrible. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen. His mistake was turning his body and not immediately releasing. Otherwise the ball appeared to be accurate. He didn't anticipate the LB would be able to read and react to a quick pass like that. That understanding will come with time.

20220822_140013.jpg

I don't care how he threw the INT as long as he fixes the problem before it matters.

Good analysis though

On 8/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, cat999 said:

Mistake was not that he stared down the receiver   Mistake was throwing the ball too late  On a quick hitter like that the ball has to come right out and the QB doesn't have time to look off the defender unless he can throw a Mahomes no look pass  Still a bad play, of course. 

Wilson hesitates ALOT

Lafleur actually had some brilliant playcalls for Zach that schemed Receivers wide open for him he either hesitated and threw late or tried to force it to a different receiver who wasn’t open

but yeah Zach still locks on to his first read quite often