Benchmark

slats

5 minutes ago, slats said:

It was the first divisional win since 2018.

Wow...  really?  I must have forced myself to be immune from this data.  3+ years without a divisional win is pretty much the lowest of the low in the NFL.  I'd say we have some catching up to do.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

The next streak I'd like to snap is the consecutive years without a playoff appearance.

Me too. I’m not nearly ready to say that’s gonna happen this year, but I had no expectations of being 3-2 at this point of the season, either. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

All great points slats. I didn’t want to make another new thread so I’m going to put this here: SPECIAL TEAMS! Elite performance. Zurlein, Mann, Berrios, punt team coverage (Hardee, Echols) this has played a huge roll in our 3 wins ( think onside kick, etc) 

There is definitely excitement in all 3 aspects of our game right now! 

A jets kicker that understands the ball goes between the uprights.... waaa, too good to be true. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Remember when Flacco was going to be setting the baseline for the team’s offensive performance? Expectations were that Flacco would play competently and Zach would have to try to keep up. And many of those expectations were that Zach would be a downgrade. So what’s happened? 

Thru the first three games of the year, the Jets held a lead for all of 22 seconds - and those 22 seconds represented one of the most miraculous comebacks in league history. 

It’s just two games, but the Jets have taken a multi-score lead in the first quarter of both of them. They faced adversity in both, and had huge fourth quarters in both to secure the win. 

Yesterday’s win got the team off of multiple schneids. It was the first time in 23 games that the Jets never fell behind. It’s the first time they’ve won two in a row since 2020. It was the first divisional win since 2018. It was the first time they scored 40 or more points since 2017. People can make excuses for the Jets’ recent success, even though they allegedly want the best, lol, but it’s hard for me to understand how anyone can look at what this team is doing and not see that they’re actually building something real. 

Flacco could have done everything Zach did yesterday minus the TD run. I think the Jets win that with either Flacco or Mike White at QB. 

The Pittsburgh game was a different story as I don’t think Flacco could have survived the Steeler pass rush given the oline injuries. Zach did a great job avoiding sacks in that game. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I just came here to post that Zach Wilson played a pretty good football game yesterday. 

Haven't seen any highlights yet.  I recall he missed Elijah Moore on an open out route for about 20 yards (on a terrific route by Moore) that he should have hit.  Other than that he played a nice clean game.  Made me feel a lot better about the first three quarters in Pittsburgh.  I heard a lot of people getting on him for taking that sack in the second half, but looked to me like that was an unblocked corner blitz and the possible results were either sack for 8 yard loss or sack for 15 yard loss.  He took the latter unfortunately but at least he didn't throw a pick.  

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I just came here to post that Zach Wilson played a pretty good football game yesterday. 

Haven't seen any highlights yet.  I recall he missed Elijah Moore on an open out route for about 20 yards (on a terrific route by Moore) that he should have hit.  Other than that he played a nice clean game.  Made me feel a lot better about the first three quarters in Pittsburgh.  I heard a lot of people getting on him for taking that sack in the second half, but looked to me like that was an unblocked corner blitz and the possible results were either sack for 8 yard loss or sack for 15 yard loss.  He took the latter unfortunately but at least he didn't throw a pick.  

He hit Moore on both hands. Off throws happen all the time to every qb, Moore id a professional wr and needs to make that catch 1000/1000 times 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, SuicidalSince98 said:

He hit Moore on both hands. Off throws happen all the time to every qb, Moore id a professional wr and needs to make that catch 1000/1000 times 

Pretty sure it hit Moore's hands but it also hit the turf at the same time.  Again, haven't seen the play again other than from when I saw it live, but looked to me like Zach short armed it.  

My point was, if that was Zach's biggest F up yesterday, he should be feeling good.

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, slats said:

Remember when Flacco was going to be setting the baseline for the team’s offensive performance? Expectations were that Flacco would play competently and Zach would have to try to keep up. And many of those expectations were that Zach would be a downgrade. So what’s happened? 

Thru the first three games of the year, the Jets held a lead for all of 22 seconds - and those 22 seconds represented one of the most miraculous comebacks in league history. 

It’s just two games, but the Jets have taken a multi-score lead in the first quarter of both of them. They faced adversity in both, and had huge fourth quarters in both to secure the win. 

Yesterday’s win got the team off of multiple schneids. It was the first time in 23 games that the Jets never fell behind. It’s the first time they’ve won two in a row since 2020. It was the first divisional win since 2018. It was the first time they scored 40 or more points since 2017. People can make excuses for the Jets’ recent success, even though they allegedly want the best, lol, but it’s hard for me to understand how anyone can look at what this team is doing and not see that they’re actually building something real. 

I really believe it points to QB play. This team is not shooting itself in the foot anymore. 6 of Zach's  last 7 games, he hasn't  had a pick. That is huge for a young QB. 

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Pretty sure it hit Moore's hands but it also hit the turf at the same time.  Again, haven't seen the play again other than from when I saw it live, but looked to me like Zach short armed it.  

My point was, if that was Zach's biggest F up yesterday, he should be feeling good.

Also, if Moore’s toes weren’t touching the white, he has another nice reception. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Was the Moore play on the sideline where Moore caught the ball out of bounds?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

These two topics are not one and the same, and one of them is a straw man argument.

1 hour ago, slats said:

We've has two great 4th quarters after two less-than-great 1st thru 3rd quarters, playing against a rookie backup QB and a rookie 3rd string QB, yes. 

Great wins, that felt and feel great, but in the cold light of objective analysis we shouldn't make them more than what they were.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

Yesterday’s win got the team off of multiple schneids. It was the first time in 23 games that the Jets never fell behind. It’s the first time they’ve won two in a row since 2020. It was the first divisional win since 2018. It was the first time they scored 40 or more points since 2017.

These say more about what we've been since 2015 than about the team now tbqh.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

People can make excuses for the Jets’ recent success, even though they allegedly want the best, lol, but it’s hard for me to understand how anyone can look at what this team is doing and not see that they’re actually building something real. 

I agree, they are building something.  The offensive talent specifically looks like it could have a real, meaningful future.  

With that said, we've beaten three backup QB's so far this year.  That is simply a fact, not an "excuse" or anything else.  It has to be part of the evaluation of where we are and where we're really going.

Now, going to Green Bay this week to play a very weak looking Packers, and their #1 QB, is a real test.  Win there, and I'll be impressed.  We need a win over an established starter, and we need a more consistent effort over 4 quarters. 

The hard truth is that until 9 min. left in the 4th, we were still very much at risk of losing to the Phins version of Streveler.  It's great we didn't, the SOJ would have, so it's a step.  But lets keep it in perspective (or lets say I prefer to keep it in perspective).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, this is a team that Vegas had at 5.5 wins. There was no belief from many fans (and some of the most vocal and repetitive here) in Saleh or Zach. None.

I don't see this as being relevant to anything.  Vegas is in it for maximizing # of bets and profit, and Fan "belief" has no effect on anything.

You can only play who the other team suits up. Jets have been on the down side of injuries a lot over the last couple years, I have no sympathy for anyone else dealing with injuries. They happen. Next man up.

I agree.  

But when evaluating your team's future, who you played is still a factor to consider.

Also, they’ve had two good first quarters in a row. Not perfect, but they had multi-score leads early two weeks in a row. So let’s just say I’m calling bull**** on the, “quarters 1-3,” argument. 

Better than the total ineffective trash our first quarters were, say, last year, sure.

We were up 5-0 after the first quarter yesterday, 2 of which came on one of the worst Ref calls I've ever seen (sorry, that was simply not 'intentional grounding", for two reasons, one, an eligible receiver was clearly in the area, and two, the grounding itself wasn't intentional at all, it was because his arm was hit mid-throw).  So a legit 3 points in a first quarter against a team stuck with it's #3 QB's first appearance.  In such a spot, 14-0 is good.  13-0 is good.  Even 10-0 might be good.  

5-0, with several missed scoring opportunities given great field position (like after Berrios great return) is not "good" objectively.  Sorry, we'll have to just agree to disagree about the level of good of the 1st quarter yesterday.

But credit to them, again, they rose up in the 4th and crushed the Phins rightly.  Squished the Phish.  But it was not a complete game as some are claiming, not even close.    

Like I said, I'd like to see them put up a good 4-quarter game vs. the Packers and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.  That'll be a great test of where we really are right now.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

With the new protocols, we're lucky we didn't lose him for the game on that play.

It was unwise, but absolutely balls.  

I personally loved the play and also fully expected a contingent here to be raking him over the coals for "playing stupid" or "taking unnecessary risks"

We manage to find something to complain about ... it's our nature.

We beat the Dolphins,  one of my close friends is a Phins fan. Enjoy the little things.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I personally loved the play and also fully expected a contingent here to be raking him over the coals for "playing stupid" or "taking unnecessary risks"

We manage to find something to complain about ... it's our nature.

We beat the Dolphins,  one of my close friends is a Phins fan. Enjoy the little things.

I think you misunderstand, as I'm not "raking him over the coals" for it.

QB's are worth too much to take those kinds of hits.  But they do it, and that's part of the game. 

Acknowledging that it's risky/possibly unnecessary is observation, not criticism. 

My brother is a Phins fan.  Be assured I enjoyed (and am still enjoying) that we won.

Analysis =/= Enjoyment/Rooting/Anything Else Emotional

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think you misunderstand, as I'm not "raking him over the coals" for it.

QB's are worth too much to take those kinds of hits.  But they do it, and that's part of the game. 

Acknowledging that it's risky/possibly unnecessary is observation, not criticism. 

My brother is a Phins fan.  Be assured I enjoyed (and am still enjoying) that we won.

Analysis =/= Enjoyment/Rooting/Anything Else Emotional

No no no sir,  you misunderstand me.

I wasnt saying you were raking him i was saying there is always someone with a hair to split.....I was agreeing with you.

As you said "it was absolute balls".... and I'm here for it.

Hbo Im On Your Side GIF by SuccessionHBO

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

who you played is still a factor to consider.

Lol I agree ... I also can't help but die laughing at the who did he play analysis coming out of college  now following him to the NFL.

I'm mostly going to judge him on his reps and not try to poke holes in everything he does.(not a veiled insinuation that you are doing so... others however, @Jetsfan80 I'm looking at you ??)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We were up 5-0 after the first quarter yesterday, 2 of which came on one of the worst Ref calls I've ever seen (sorry, that was simply not 'intentional grounding", for two reasons, one, an eligible receiver was clearly in the area, and two, the grounding itself wasn't intentional at all, it was because his arm was hit mid-throw).  So a legit 3 points in a first quarter against a team stuck with it's #3 QB's first appearance.  In such a spot, 14-0 is good.  13-0 is good.  Even 10-0 might be good.

While I agree with most of your points, i have to disagree with this one. I have many times seen an intentional grounding call when the QB appeared to throwing a real ball only to have it go no where because of a hit. The truth is we don't know what he was trying to do, nor where the ball was supposed to be going. You can say that about every time a QB is hit early and hard when throwing the ball. The only thing the officials can say is 'he was going to be sacked' and the 'ball didn't go to a receiver' - otherwise, any good hit the QB can fling it. You may disagree with the rule, but there it is.

There was also a massive hold on that play, also in the end zone, that was missed by the officials - that would have been a safety too.

If you are going to play by those rules you can easily claim the one or 2 of Miami's TDs were also a gift from the officials on a couple of very questionable PI calls.

Even if you take away the 2 points, the field goal wasn't scored as a result of the Safety punt and great return. 

I do agree with your assessment of the offense in the first quarter however, not brilliant, but the D looked good in 1st quarter.

• Upvote 1