John Clayton just said . . .

raffyD

that the biggest losers thus far in free agency are the Jets and Pats, along with Green Bay (Reasons: Jets cut seven players, traded Abe and still have question at QB, Pats: health of bruschi, loss of viniateri and a ton of players in general and not spending the $20M). Why does this actually make me feel good, maybe it's good company?

BTW, Clayton also sad the biggest winners are Miami, Cowboys, amd Skins. I agree with Maimi because a healthy and good is scary.

Thankfully this bozo is not the Pats GM.

Real smart idea to try and build a franchise through FA.:eek:

I'd be curious to know what percent of big name, high priced free agents actually continue to light it up on their new squad. Not an easy stat I know but I would venture it's less than most would think, probably quite low.

Thankfully this bozo is not the Pats GM.

Real smart idea to try and build a franchise through FA.:eek:

Exactly!

You don't use free agency to build your team. The draft is for team building. Free Agency is for temporarily plugging holes until you can plug them long term with good draft picks.

You can get good players in free agency that can help you but you know what you get in free agency for the most part.

You get players who their previous teams didn't want anymore or didn't want to give raises to.

It's very rare that a front tier or premiere NFL player becomes available on the open market and when he does, He gets paid way too much money. See Steve Hutchinson.

It's very rare that teams let their front line young premiere players hit the open market. It's mostly older guys who are vying for their final big paydays and younger guys who are not premiere but will be paid as such because there's nothing else out there.

You get a few talented headache players like Terrell Owens and Lavar Arrington. Then you get an older player like Edgerrin James whose salary demands are too high. Ty Law is a player like him.Two excellent players at the end of the road and the decline period is coming.

You get young guys who have never been pro bowl performers and barely starters like Kevin Schaffer and Maake Kemoautu being paid premiere money.

You get #2 WR's being paid #1 money like Nate Burleson and Antwan Randle El.

The only reason that Daunte Culpepper and Drew Brees, two young QB's with pro bowl resumes were available is because Brees has shoulder issues, His new team gave him a 1 year deal with the potential for a long term and Culpepper had chemistry and injury issues.

This is the free agent market. You can get value but you gotta get bang for your buck and you gotta get players that fit what you do. The draft is where you get your 10 year players. Not free agency. Free agency is short term.

that the biggest losers thus far in free agency are the Jets and Pats, along with Green Bay (Reasons: Jets cut seven players, traded Abe and still have question at QB, Pats: health of bruschi, loss of viniateri and a ton of players in general and not spending the $20M). Why does this actually make me feel good, maybe it's good company?

BTW, Clayton also sad the biggest winners are Miami, Cowboys, amd Skins. I agree with Maimi because a healthy and good is scary.

Health of Bruschi? Did I miss something?

I am sure the Patriots' FO is allowing the market to come to them. No need to rush into a new CBA without seeing what the new high, lows and what the market will actually bear. They have a good team right now. Wait t\until they start wisely spending that 20M.

Of course the Jets are big losers in free agency. They lost 10 1/2 sacks, 6 forced fumbled and 10 INT's.... It's not only signing free agents, its keeping the players who are playmakers and difference makers. Jets are 20 million under the cap, and became the first team with a 4-12 record to raise ticket prices, at last Woody Johnson has a chance of seeing the Jets turn a profit for the first time since he bought the club.

It's not that the Jets didn't try, its just that free agents have all been saying thanks, but no thanks. Tim Dwight is the only new Jet that interviewed with other teams. They couldn't sign the assistant coaches and coordinators they targetted. Not a single new coach, including the HC was interviewed by another team so its not news that players and coach don't see the Jets as an attractive team.

Is Woody too cheap or is the new FO just amateurish and unable to instill any confidence in players who are wanted by other teams to consider the Jets as anything but the last alternative.

what a foolish statement to make.doesn't he realize that the jets are looking to the draft to rebuild.they know that they will not contend this year.the teams that did sign those free agents are contenders for this season.so it makes sense for them to sign the player that they did sign.

Of course the Jets are big losers in free agency. They lost 10 1/2 sacks, 6 forced fumbled and 10 INT's....

abraham was traded, we got a first rounder in return for him so im all set with that, and is ty law really worth keeping around for all the money he wants?

Say what you will, but there are exceptions.... I REALLY wanted Ma'ake Kemoatu (sic). He was the best FA signing of the year. Bentley, Hutch, yeah, all over paid by a large margin.

he was my FA target too. Would have been a force here in NY.

Of course the Jets are big losers in free agency. They lost 10 1/2 sacks, 6 forced fumbled and 10 INT's.... It's not only signing free agents, its keeping the players who are playmakers and difference makers. Jets are 20 million under the cap, and became the first team with a 4-12 record to raise ticket prices, at last Woody Johnson has a chance of seeing the Jets turn a profit for the first time since he bought the club.

It's not that the Jets didn't try, its just that free agents have all been saying thanks, but no thanks. Tim Dwight is the only new Jet that interviewed with other teams. They couldn't sign the assistant coaches and coordinators they targetted. Not a single new coach, including the HC was interviewed by another team so its not news that players and coach don't see the Jets as an attractive team.

Is Woody too cheap or is the new FO just amateurish and unable to instill any confidence in players who are wanted by other teams to consider the Jets as anything but the last alternative.

You sound like the rest of the clueless Skins fans on your board. Unlike the the Redskins who have to overpay and make mediocre players the highest paid at their position just to get them to wear a uniform i, we don't do that.

We want guys who want to play in NY...not guys who are worried about nothing more than how much money they make. Like every redskin FA signed in the Danny Boy Era.

Contrary to popular belief....Anybody can throw a boatload of cash to get a player...The Jets and the rest of the NFL decided it's not good business.

The skins? $400m down the drain and 1 playoff appearance in the last decade. Money well spent:rolleyes: but hey.....they do very well during free agency every yr...Maybe Dan can buy some sort of offseason award for that.

It's certainly an intelligent viewpoint by yourself from one side of the argument.

All The players, The Jets "lost" are players that they let go of. John Abraham, Ty Law, Kevin Mawae etc........ The Jets could have very easily kept all 3 if they wanted to. A team that was a reported 26 million under the cap, got way under the cap and had three significant players restructure their deals to stay here.

Everyone knew that The Jets were moving forward with a new organizational philosophy and that they were going to shape the team differently and approach the free agent market differently. Thus far, They've stuck to their guns and haven't deviated from their systematic approach.

The Jets have targeted stop gap and role players in free agency. They haven't looked for long term answers there. The long term is for the draft.

You are wrong on The Kimo Von Oelhoffen deal because he was targeted by 3 other teams including his former team. Seattle, Baltimore and Detroit all had visits scheduled with him. Tampa had also shown interest.

The only player, The Jets missed out on in free agency that they wanted was Jon Runyan and after reports that he took less money to stay with philly. There have been conflicting reports that he's making more money with The Eagles. It doesn't matter. The Jets lost out on Runyan. That's the only guy.

Everyone else was either above the market, The Jets were willing to pay or The Jets didn't make any offers. Jon Kitna is a guy who came in but was never made an offer. Jets weren't willing to pay him starter money, Detroit was. So I don't exactly see where The no thanks players are, if anything, The Jets have become the thanks but no thanks team towards players.

Both times in the trade market, The Jets got exactly what they wanted in The Abraham deal and gave up exactly what they wanted to, in The Ramsey deal.

As for the coaching staff, There were several key coaches retained and others let go. The majority of The Jets staff hirings were for assistant spots. The two main coordinators were shown the door. Westhoff was retained, Donnie was let go to elevate Sutton. For assistant or quality control coaches, You are not going to have bidding wars for those guys. The Richie Anderson/Bryan Cox/Rick Lyle hirings were as additions to the staff and not as high profile position coaches.

All in all, 7 assistants were retained by The Jets. Two in coordinator roles. The only prominent new assistant is offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

clayton sucks , who would listen to him.

The J-E-T-S are going about there business the way we should, IN THE DRAFT. you can't build a winner with castoffs and older players on there way out.

looks to me like are FO has a clue for the first time in some time.

and i seem to have more faith in this FO then any of the past .:yahoo:

Thats great news. This must mean that these franchises are the ones that will be competetive in the future.

Archived