New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

This last draft they went heavy on pitching. Unfortunately 95% RHP. Until you have talent moving up, you’re stuck taking the best available talent and get your LHP in FA.

What the Mets most desperately need is the coaching to DEVELOP their pitchers like TB, SF, ATL and LA. 
As of today we have 8th worst record in MLB. Let’s try and get that to #4

With Peterson and McGil back in the rotation, #4 should be a piece of cake. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets will certainly be above the LT again next year. 

I expect Mike Vasil to get a few starts in September, and will be given a shot in the rotation next year.

Dominic Hamel and Blake Tidwell may also have opportunities to be in the rotation for stretches next year.

The under the radar piece of the Mets farm system this year is the gains that have been established by some of the pitching prospects. 

I believe they will sign one of the top 5 FA pitches in FA next year, and either a mid level FA pitcher, or an international signing (Yamamoto).

I have no idea what they may be doing with Alonzo, or where is head is.

The mets signaled the gaol to build up the farm system last off-season when they gained 3 extra picks in the draft by giving Qualifying Offers out, and not signing free agents with those tags. 

im not sure.

we need 3 starters with Carrasco gone. forget about Otoni. and from the sound of Steve Cohn i think he learned his lesson about throwing crazy money to try to win. 

sorry your right, we will be over the LT. i forgot were still paying half the guys we got rid of.

i hope we can get some kids up here soon to give us a reason to watch these next 2 months. i guess Marcurrio isnt ready cause you would think it would be perfect for him to move to 2nd and McNeil to left. or move Vientos to left and McNeil to DH or trade him for a starter. 

Vientos better be starting the rest of the year. we need to see what we have with him.

Alonzo is just having a bad year. i really thought he was going to break Judges record until he got hurt. cant let him go. i dont see any way to replace 40-50 HRs a year we get from him.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, doitny said:

im not sure.

we need 3 starters with Carrasco gone. forget about Otoni. and from the sound of Steve Cohn i think he learned his lesson about throwing crazy money to try to win. 

sorry your right, we will be over the LT. i forgot were still paying half the guys we got rid of.

i hope we can get some kids up here soon to give us a reason to watch these next 2 months. i guess Marcurrio isnt ready cause you would think it would be perfect for him to move to 2nd and McNeil to left. or move Vientos to left and McNeil to DH or trade him for a starter. 

Vientos better be starting the rest of the year. we need to see what we have with him.

Alonzo is just having a bad year. i really thought he was going to break Judges record until he got hurt. cant let him go. i dont see any way to replace 40-50 HRs a year we get from him.

Quintana is under contract for next year also.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I could see them going after Nola. As long as McGill and  Peterson aren’t on this team next year I wouldn’t care if Charlie Brown is in the rotation.

I think any of the tier 1 pitchers that are over 30 will be a hard sell unless Cohen goes all in on the bidding wars and sure that's possible, but probable? Who knows. Tough to convince a guy on the back end of his career to come to a team that openly isn't trying for a ring for another 1-2 years. I think it's more likely they try to sign some of the second and third tier pitchers on shorter deals to fill out the rotation and hope for the best.

Paying Urias makes a ton of sense for them given his age but does LA let him walk?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think any of the tier 1 pitchers that are over 30 will be a hard sell unless Cohen goes all in on the bidding wars and sure that's possible, but probable? Who knows. Tough to convince a guy on the back end of his career to come to a team that openly isn't trying for a ring for another 1-2 years. I think it's more likely they try to sign some of the second and third tier pitchers on shorter deals to fill out the rotation and hope for the best.

Paying Urias makes a ton of sense for them given his age but does LA let him walk?

I believe that the Dodgers are the Ohtani destination. With some of their youngsters with arms, and maybe Kershaw back (again!!!), might not need Urias.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe that the Dodgers are the Ohtani destination. With some of their youngsters with arms, and maybe Kershaw back (again!!!), might not need Urias.

As great as Ohtani is, I think it would be a mistake to sign him for astronomical numbers on a long-term deal at this point in his career.  He'll be 29 next year and already will have had 6 years in the MLB plus some time in the Japanese league.

If he gets hurt, we'd lose a starter plus a key cog in the lineup.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:38 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Two things worth noting from last night's game:

Senga had a disastrous start and fought back to pitch great the rest of the game. IMO that's what separates a top of the rotation guy from a 4th or 5th pitcher.

Cohen stated he knows the team will need pitching next year. Will be interesting to see how and who he spends on. The pitching FA class next year is actually pretty good and I wonder if he'll give out some contracts to some tier 2 guys.

Yes he can get 4 tier 2 guys for what he spent on the yearly Sherzer and Verlander contracts. 

On 8/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Lith said:

Tier 2 guys and invest in the bullpen.  We have Diaz coming back, build up the pen in front of him.  The way the game is played now, it is the bullpen pitching most of the high stress situations anyway.  We gave the ball to our $40M starters this season, and then turned it over to a $3M relief pitcher with the game on the line.  

We MUST have the worst bullpen in the majors and its not even close.  Ottavino is an automatic steal with a runner on base.  Drew Smith gives up home runs like they going out of style. And those are our only 2 relievers worth anything.  Will Diaz regain his form?  Pitching is a mess onthis team. And they cant hit a lick.  Alvarez is the only kid playing well. Vientos is awful in the field as is Baty who cant catch up to a lefty's fastball. He's constantly overmatched and a Strato 4 at 3rd base. Marte looks done.  They have no LF. They have no 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman. This team has more holes than a block of swiss cheese.  Its going to take several years before they can compete and get all these draft picks ready to step  in. Lets not fool ourselves.

22 hours ago, section314 said:

I could see them going after Nola. As long as McGill and  Peterson aren’t on this team next year I wouldn’t care if Charlie Brown is in the rotation.

Quintana has looked stellar. As has Senga.  That's 2 quality starters.  McGill and Peterson are decent guys who can be long relievers in the bullpen and make spot starts. Why not. Our bullpen is atrocious.  We need another 2 quality starters minimum.  Probably one of the kids steps up to take the 5th spot.  But of utmost importance, is to revamp the bullpen.  Its just beyond pathetic.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Keep playing Baty and Vientos to get 'em reps, and see what they are.

Maybe we see Mauricio? Anybody else that's getting close?

Baty cant baty, I mean hit. Always overmatched and terrible in the field. What were they thinking of bringing him up. He looks totally lost at the plate and is terrible at 3rd. Vientos looks like a hitter but his defense if equally as bad as Baty. Would be a good choice as a RH DH. no wonder they tried to sign Correra to millions.  After they balked, they got stuck with Baty. He fit right in to this miserable season.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As great as Ohtani is, I think it would be a mistake to sign him for astronomical numbers on a long-term deal at this point in his career.  He'll be 29 next year and already will have had 6 years in the MLB plus some time in the Japanese league.

Here's the the thing on Ohtani-- Along with the massive contract he is going to get, if he gets injured, you have now simultaneously created a hole in your rotation and a hole in your line-up at the same time. He becomes a double hit with an injury.  

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wonder if the rich franchises even care about that. The Angels make $10 million per year off him in advertising and marketing alone, and that's not even counting the extra butts in the seats that he brings, (which in my limited experience in seeing the Mets in Anaheim last year is a ******* lot). Dodgers would surely bring in more than that, either of the NY teams too. Even if he gets a $600-700 million deal you have to figure anywhere from 10-25% of the contract is going to get made back by just having him there within the first 3 or so years. For the Giants/Dodgers/Yankees/Mets that's surely a risk they can afford.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Here's the the thing on Ohtani-- Along with the massive contract he is going to get, if he gets injured, you have now simultaneously created a hole in your rotation and a hole in your line-up at the same time. He becomes a double hit with an injury.  

Right, but from an owner's standpoint, if he doesn't get hurt you are putting Babe Ruth out on the field for 82 home games a year. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Baty cant baty, I mean hit. Always overmatched and terrible in the field. What were they thinking of bringing him up. He looks totally lost at the plate and is terrible at 3rd. Vientos looks like a hitter but his defense if equally as bad as Baty. Would be a good choice as a RH DH. no wonder they tried to sign Correra to millions.  After they balked, they got stuck with Baty. He fit right in to this miserable season.

Yeah, I'm not really confident with either guy considering the D contribution from 3rd base to the over infield D, and their overall game. Sometimes it takes guys a while to adjust, but Baty is a disappointment so far.

I think most people were hoping to see more from Baty at the plate.

Between them and Mauricio it would be nice to see some thing encouraging soon.

58 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yeah, I'm not really confident with either guy considering the D contribution from 3rd base to the over infield D, and their overall game. Sometimes it takes guys a while to adjust, but Baty is a disappointment so far.

I think most people were hoping to see more from Baty at the plate.

Between them and Mauricio it would be nice to see some thing encouraging soon.

Mauricio looks to be an intriguing prospect.  He's a SS and SS HAVE to play well defensively so I have high hopes for him.  I think he's serious trade bait or will be switched to 2nd base.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Mauricio looks to be an intriguing prospect.  He's a SS and SS HAVE to play well defensively so I have high hopes for him.  I think he's serious trade bait or will be switched to 2nd base.  

Bringing Mauricio up this year only makes sense if you want to get Lindor some rest, and IMO that's not a good enough reason. Mets have more to gain by keeping him at AAA especially since they view Acuna as their 2B of the future now.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bringing Mauricio up this year only makes sense if you want to get Lindor some rest, and IMO that's not a good enough reason. Mets have more to gain by keeping him at AAA especially since they view Acuna as their 2B of the future now.

Hmm thats a good point. Perhaps Mauricio can play OF or 3rd base. Regardless, they are bringing him up soon and might as well to get his feet wet. In the very least, they can also showcase him for prospective trades.  HE's a very highly sought after prospect. But is there a position on teh team for him? Will be interesting what they do with him.