New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Jeremiah Jackson

AGE 23    BATS R    DOB 03/26/2000   THROWS R
HT  6' 0" WT 165  DRAFTED 2018, 2nd (57) - LAA
ETA 2024

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

The Angels’ second-round pick in the 2018 Draft, Jackson is a product of the Alabama high school ranks who has teased with his offensive potential, particularly his power, since signing. He set the bar high when his 23 homers established a Pioneer League record in 2019, with injuries and inconsistencies slowing him since. He missed a good chunk of time in 2021, his full-season debut, with a quad injury and then an oblique strain forced him out for a month and a half in 2022. The Angels didn’t protect him on the 40-man roster and he wasn’t selected in the Rule 5 Draft.

Jackson still has the loud, albeit raw, tools that made him a second-round pick. He’s capable of leaving the yard in any plate appearance. The ball jumps off his bat, and even with the time missed and some issues with his overall approach, he still hit 24 homers in 136 combined games in 2021 and 2022. He has wiry strength with bat speed and loft, with the power especially to his pull side. He did cut down his strikeouts in 2022, but his ability to make consistent hard contact still has not shown up.

A good athlete who runs well and has a good arm, Jackson was a shortstop when he first signed, but has had more positions added to his repertoire, playing a lot of second base but also learning third and even playing some left field in 2022. Hopefully finding an approach and sticking to it will help him reach his considerable offensive ceiling in his age-23 season.

Drew Gilbert

AGE  22    BATS L   DOB  09/27/2000 THROWS L
HT 5' 9"  DRAFTED  2022, 1st (28) - HOU  WT 195
ETA 2025

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55 

He might have had the second-best stuff among prep pitchers from the upper Midwest in the 2019 Draft, trailing only Pirates first-rounder Quinn Priester, but Gilbert's 5-foot-9 frame and Tennessee commitment slid him to his home-state Twins in the 35th round. He starred as center fielder for the Volunteers, homering four times in seven playoff games to lead them to the 2021 College World Series and posting the best numbers (.362/.455/.673) on a club that ranked No. 1 in the nation for most of 2022. He signed for $2,497,500 as Houston's first first-round choice in three years but played just 10 pro games before dislocating his right elbow after running into an outfield wall. Gilbert climbed quickly from High-A to Double-A in his first full season before moving from the Astros to the Mets in the Justin Verlander Deadline deal.

Gilbert is extremely aggressive in all phases of the game, yet his superb hand-eye coordination enables him to repeatedly barrel balls and produce high exit velocities. His left-handed stroke can get long because he hunts home runs, and while he rarely strikes out, he does make more ground-ball contact than desired. He's not physical but does have enough bat speed and strength to provide 15-20 homers per season without selling out for power. 

Gilbert has solid-to-plus speed and uses it to steal and take extra bases. His quickness and instincts allow him to cover ground in center field, where he shows the plus arm strength that produced fastballs clocked up to 93 mph during infrequent college pitching appearances. A fiery competitor with a lot of emotion, he's destined to become a fan favorite but needs to play more under control at times.

• Upvote 1

Players acquired through trades this season and their farm rankings in the Mets system. * = expected top 100 in 2024:

Luisangel Acuña, INF (2nd)*

Drew Gilbert, OF (4th)*

Ryan Clifford, OF (6th)*

Marco Vargas, INF (9th)*

Justin Jarvis, RHSP (15)

Coleman Crow, RHSP (16)

Ronald Hernandez, C (21)

Landon Marceaux, RHSP (25)

• Upvote 1

I need no help or reminders to make me feel old 🤕

But they have to get some prospects into the bottom of the farm too. So the Pham trade helps that too hopefully.

I think it was a good couple of days for them making deals with teams coveting help for a push.

Wish we were there already. But we're not

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Super excited about the moves thus far but why did we just trade for Phil Bickford?  lol.  

And Adam Kolarek 😳 Lol

Yeah, wtf was that? Guess they need warm bodies to finish the season? 

• Haha 1

I'm not a fan of this owner. Like most Mets fans I was happy to see the Wilsons go but never a fan of buying a championship. I didn't like it when Yankees did it and then when Mets tried it. But when you basically destabilize a team the way he's doing imo you're showing disrespect for the sport. Baseball isn't the stock market and it seems like that's how he's treating this. Maybe that's all he knows. So what's his goal anyways develop real estate near the stadium treat the team like a venture capitalist etc. He's meeting with the team in Kansas City to explain to the players his logic. But it's basically him running the entire show and to me it's not good. 

• WTF? 1

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not a fan of this owner. Like most Mets fans I was happy to see the Wilsons go but never a fan of buying a championship. I didn't like it when Yankees did it and then when Mets tried it. But when you basically destabilize a team the way he's doing imo you're showing disrespect for the sport. Baseball isn't the stock market and it seems like that's how he's treating this. Maybe that's all he knows. So what's his goal anyways develop real estate near the stadium treat the team like a venture capitalist etc. He's meeting with the team in Kansas City to explain to the players his logic. But it's basically him running the entire show and to me it's not good. 

Very confused by this take.  Building via the farm is the opposite of trying to buy a championship….

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He had the highest payroll in MLB over 300 million. Then in a week he totally changes direction. 

You’d rather he be bullheaded and continue to buy players, decimating the farm in the process?

I’d prefer his view that this year’s team was going nowhere and turned into a seller.  It was the right call.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Team did the right thing selling, hoping buck makes it through the “retool”. Like him a lot 

Yeah, I was disappointed for Buck the way this went, going back to last years loss to SD. It's gonna be a couple of years most likely so we'll see what happens.

Was wondering about Hefner though, how they feel about him, and if he survives.

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’d rather he be bullheaded and continue to buy players, decimating the farm in the process?

I’d prefer his view that this year’s team was going nowhere and turned into a seller.  It was the right call.

I don't like this complete 180. Actually Mets had a good record in July and not totally out of it. And if you can get a winning streak and steal a wildcard a team can get hot in the playoffs. If he wants to go to a developmental plan OK but not like this. I think he's taken too much control over the org he's a hedge fund guy. I don't trust him. 

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't like this complete 180. Actually Mets had a good record in July and not totally out of it. And if you can get a winning streak and steal a wildcard a team can get hot in the playoffs. If he wants to go to a developmental plan OK but not like this. I think he's taken too much control over the org he's a hedge fund guy. I don't trust him. 

Ehhhh they imploded last year and lost the conference and then were embarrassed in the playoffs. They didn't have the pitching to compete in the playoffs.  Wouldn't be any different this year and they are like 7-8 below 500 and the last wildcard team is over 7-8 games over 500.  Just not going to happen and even if it did, they'd just fizzle out again.  We got some really good prospects from these deals and we really needed youth, speed and power. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not a chance dude.  None.  This team was toast.  You can’t win with a pen as bad as ours was and trading tons of assets to fix it wasn’t worth it.  

Scherzer’s slider is toast and he wasn’t going to be a dependable postseason starter either.  we weren’t winning a title on the back of Verlander and Senga alone.  

• Upvote 1

Interesting thing now is if the Mets will be bad enough to get a top 6 pick. If they land out of the top 6, it drops ten spots due to luxury tax penalties. They had a great draft this year and adding another top pick would really be the icing on the cake for rebuilding this entire farm over the last 2 and 1/2 years.

Yeah, that was a nice pivot and the timing was right on. Don't blame them for trying to tweak things following last season, but it was obvious it didn't work and it was time to cut bait.

They seized an opportunity to restock on youth and I'm glad Cohen did what he did. It was time to take a step back and refine the approach and not keep doing what he was doing

That was going nowhere as it was. Enough of these old role players, and pitchers too., including Verlander.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Interesting thing now is if the Mets will be bad enough to get a top 6 pick. If they land out of the top 6, it drops ten spots due to luxury tax penalties. They had a great draft this year and adding another top pick would really be the icing on the cake for rebuilding this entire farm over the last 2 and 1/2 years.

tank GIF

When they traded Robertson they basically gave up on the most important person on the roster: their closer. And it showed tonight when they lost in extra innings on a balk. After taking a two run lead on an Alvarez HR. Plus look at the roster filled with non MLB players just brought up today. To turn the team into a semi minor league entity with two months left in the season sucks. And again the team played well in July. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

When they traded Robertson they basically gave up on the most important person on the roster: their closer. And it showed tonight when they lost in extra innings on a balk. After taking a two run lead on an Alvarez HR. Plus look at the roster filled with non MLB players just brought up today. To turn the team into a semi minor league entity with two months left in the season sucks. And again the team played well in July. 

The time to go all-in again will come.  Just wasn’t gonna be THIS year.  

I'm still rooting for the team in 2023 watching games following them and don't appreciate stripping the squad like this and making them non competitive. Cohen is still paying many millions salary for Scherzer and Verlander. He gave esp the Astros a sweetheart deal two plus seasons of Verlander for a bargain price. And maybe another WS. All we got back were two prospects the higher ranked one the 28th selection in the 2022 MLB draft and 68th top prospect in MLB. These are players the Mets can draft on their own and every year there's plenty of good players to replenish your org. These guys were no great shakes if they develop to be as good as a Tommy Pham they're doing pretty well. They're unproven and the percentage rate of even becoming a starter is low. You don't give up a HOF pitcher who won a Cy Young last year and pay most of his salary for unproven prospects.