New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

On 8/23/2023 at 12:08 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Eh, any team has to listen to any and all offers for all players, it's the norm. The Mets were having a fire sale and I'm sure they got inquiries about everyone. 

This is a fact. Shake Shack tried to trade for Voglebach but they turned down his demands on free burgers for life. 

• Haha 3

As for Vogelbach he has some value for a contender he has a good eye about 38 BBs this year in 200+ ABs and his OBP is over 100 points above his BA which is in the 220s with good power. He'd be a good addition in Sept for a team in contention. The Mets don't need him. 

• Upvote 2

I have turned into a degenerate Mets fan.

When I checked out the score of last nights game I did a little fist pump followed by an excited  “Yes”!

Then I was even happier when I saw Pittsburgh won and we’re only 1 game back of of the coveted 6th worst record in baseball

This is what this team has done to me!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I have turned into a degenerate Mets fan.

When I checked out the score of last nights game I did a little fist pump followed by an excited  “Yes”!

Then I was even happier when I saw Pittsburgh won and we’re only 1 game back of of the coveted 6th worst record in baseball

This is what this team has done to me!

tenor.gif?itemid=10574360

• Haha 2

Since the trades at deadline Mets have been an under .500 team more so than even before the deals. They've brought up marginal players to replace position players plus starting guys who were bench players before like DJ Stewart. But given the op DJ has played well and at times carried the team. He should get a contract with a team for next year maybe even the Mets. I saw him interviewed after last nights game when he hit two home runs and actually won the game by getting hit by a pitch in the 10th with bases loaded by Aroldis Chapman. He was really modest said his recent push was kind of a surprise and he'll take the RBI by a HBP vs Chapman a guy he in past couldn't hit. Stewart is a Buck favorite from his days with Balt not the only ex Orioles player Buck liked to play for the Mets. But by far the most successful. 

So a month ago Alvarez was hitting HRs at a big time pace and it was anathema to even think of sending him down. He won the starting catcher job by a mile and no one questioned it. But since then he's been hitting way under .200 no HRs pretty much an easy out. The Mets optioned out Baty when he wasn't hitting after an ok start and he hit .400 at Syracuse and he's back with the Mets. It's late to do it but right now Alvarez looks like he needs a refresher some time in AAA. We'll see about regular season next year for both of these guys. 

• Upvote 1

So here are the Mets draft lottery odds:

Remember, if they do not finish in the top 6 of the lottery, their first round pick drops 10 slots.

-5.5% to finish with the first overall pick.

-41.3% to finish with picks 1-6.

-48.7% to finish with 7+ (pre-penalty)

Most important draw since they pulled Seaver's name out of a hat in 1966. 

So are the Mets going to be big spenders or have they decided to develop their own players or a combo of both. They sold at the trade deadline and it was pretty dramatic. They fired the manager, the GM resigned then hired a new COO. Btw that's 3 straight GMs the Mets org had issues with. As for their best player Alonso who had huge power stats with a low BA in 2023 all indications he won't be here much longer. He was unhappy when they traded their two top starters when the team was within striking range of contending. They were 5 under .500 but playing better. But the owner who is calling all of the shots said his analysis was the Mets only had an 11% chance to make the playoffs. So he traded both of them for prospects but still has to pay like 50% of their big salaries. Alonso also complained and was reportedly so mad when Buck was fired he almost confronted  Steve Cohen but didn't. But the coup de grace might be that he just hired Scott Boras as his agent. It seems like Cohen has issues with Pete or just doesn't want to pay 3 to 400 million for a .220 hitter. Rumors are the Cubs want him bad.