New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

11 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t see Houston giving up enough to get him. 

They only have 1 guy in MLB top 100 prospects, an outfielder &68. If we pay salary would have to be a guy on Major league roster. Have a bunch of young guys on there, starters and bullpen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Mets just traded Canha to Brewers for pitcher Justin Jarvis just promoted to AAA. In top 12 (some reports say 30) of Brewers prospects and considered maybe ready for MLB in 2024. Mets pick up Canha salary for 2023 minus minimum.  Brewers have a player option for 2024 and if they pick it up they pay it. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mark-canha-trade-mets-send-veteran-outfielder-to-brewers-as-deadline-sell-off-continues/amp/ Next up could be Pham I'm hoping they keep him though. 

Why keep TP? He’s a FA after this season

44 minutes ago, section314 said:

They only have 1 guy in MLB top 100 prospects, an outfielder &68. If we pay salary would have to be a guy on Major league roster. Have a bunch of young guys on there, starters and bullpen.

There ya go.

Just saw this, fwiw...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/astros-continue-engaging-mets-on-verlander-trade/ar-AA1eBPvR?ocid=socialshare

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good news. They have 8 guys in mlb top 100, but no Pitchers on list. Have C, and 4/5 middle infielders, but 2 others who you might keep an eye on if this leads anywhere. Would also assume Cohen eats similar amount of $ as he did with Max. #30 mlb Jordan Westburg, currently playing SS, but is 6’2. 210 and is a power hitter. Projects as a corner infielder. #36 mlb Heston Kjersted, OF. Lefty with good power and a strong arm, projects as a RF.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good news. They have 8 guys in mlb top 100, but no Pitchers on list. Have C, and 4/5 middle infielders, but 2 others who you might keep an eye on if this leads anywhere. Would also assume Cohen eats similar amount of $ as he did with Max. #30 mlb Jordan Westburg, currently playing SS, but is 6’2. 210 and is a power hitter. Projects as a corner infielder. #36 mlb Heston Kjersted, OF. Lefty with good power and a strong arm, projects as a RF.

Kjersted is without question the guy they need to be targeting. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who knows, the Kelenic sh*t looked like it was going to be all-time for a minute too

Kelenic was a terrible trade even if he never pans out. 
But at least they thought they were getting the best closer in the game for foreseeable years. The Baez trade was head scratching the minute they made it. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Kelenic was a terrible trade even if he never pans out. 
But at least they thought they were getting the best closer in the game for foreseeable years. The Baez trade was head scratching the minute they made it. 

I agree I'm just saying you never know how this stuff pans out. Baseball is littered with more top guys that were supposed to be great but never were than those who were.

• Upvote 1

So I just saw some money figures on the deal. Mets will pay 35 million on 2023 and 2024 salaries. If Verlander vests and plays in 2025 based on innings pitched in 2024 etc Mets pay 1/2 of 2025 salary of 35 million or 17.5. So at max Mets could pay 52.5 out of potential 93 million. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/mets-trade-justin-verlander-astros.html

That rating could be totally different in 6-12 months. They're always changing as the players cycle through the minors. Plus this team is crying out for athletes and youth. Their doing sh*t this year or next anyway

Cohen's not worrying about the $, so I'm not.