Anthony Richardson

HawkeyeJet

This would undoubtedly be exciting. I need to dig in a little more and doubt I’ll have time, but the tools are insane and it sounds like some of the instincts are encouraging.

They’d need to have a substantially better plan in place than what they executed for Wilson (I don’t know how much Knapp‘s tragic death impacted what they wanted to do). Year on the bench, year using the QB run game, scale up the passing concepts kind of thing.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

As long as he sits for a season or two.  Do not throw the raw guy with enticing tools out there week 1 and exect anything different than we got with Zach. 

Still think I would rather use the 1 to upgrade OL.  Duane Brown is ancient, Fant sucks at RT ans is FA.  MItchell and Becton are question marks.  Add a tackle.  Add a commpetent bridge QB in FA and look to 2024 draft for a young QB.

This is by far more likely.  JD and Saleh both have to make sure they do everything possible to make next season another step forward, and drafting a 1st RD QB, let alone one as raw as Richardson.  To plug him in next year the offense would have to be overhauled drastically.  Read options.  RPOs.  Etc.

I’m guessing it will be White and another vet like Minshew, Geno, etc.

Take and develop sure....

No faith in us to do that... I'm back to expecting the worst and changing my mind when I'm shown we are capable of getting the train down the tracks without the wheels falling off. 

And damn did the wheels really fall off this year.

As much as I have enjoyed the fruits of this past draft I fully expect a new regime and a rinse and repeat of what we have lived forever into perpetuity....

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No, just no.  Please no.  I've seen the guy in about 3 games and he was garbage in all of them.  He is not Hurts or Allen or Lamar.

One year of mediocre production, accuracy and td to int ratio.  Using a high pick on him is just foolish imo.

The past 4-10 years it was highly questionable if one should risk drafting a duel threat QB who statistically dominated collegiatly. With Richardson they are taking it an entire tier above that and trying to project a duel threat guys who doesn't have the production but just the tools. Would rather not be the ones proactive in this BS and let someone else try this sh** out. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is by far more likely.  JD and Saleh both have to make sure they do everything possible to make next season another step forward

I’m guessing it will be White and another vet like Minshew, Geno, etc.

I would agree with your QB choices for Saleh and Douglas IF we made the playoffs this year.

However, given the collapse and missing the playoffs they’re going to need to win next year and make the playoffs. They’ll need a better QB than those listed to do so.

I expect a splash trade or signing as it is desperation mode for this administration for missing the playoffs after a complete collapse and Zack Wilson looking like Elf Hackenberg.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

Both haha AR is way to big of a project to follow Zach Wilson

In an odd way if it means they’ll actually try to develop a guy instead of throw him to the wolves I like the idea of a project, but I could also very much see the argument that the organization doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to actually develop a quarterback. I honestly don’t know what the right approach for them to take is.

• Upvote 1

The 2023 QB class is a good catalyst for the discussion of why looking to win with Mike White needs to be seriously entertained.

There’s not a lot of depth to that class, and I think that’s most QB draft classes… Once in a while you get a homerun group (Burrow/Herbert/Tua/Hurts), but more often than not it doesn’t work out. The once thought to be robust 2018 class looks to have mostly flamed out… (Baker/Darnold/Allen/Rosen/Jackson). 

more often than not, you get maybe one good QB like Lawrence, amongst a lot of meddling prospects. Or if you’re unlucky you might wind up with Kenny Pickett  as the best looking pig in the show.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

The 2023 QB class is a good catalyst for the discussion of why looking to win with Mike White needs to be seriously entertained.

There’s not a lot of depth to that class, and I think that’s most QB draft classes… Once in a while you get a homerun group (Burrow/Herbert/Tua/Hurts), but more often than not it doesn’t work out. The once thought to be robust 2018 class looks to have mostly flamed out… (Baker/Darnold/Allen/Rosen/Jackson). 

more often than not, you get maybe one good QB like Lawrence, amongst a lot of meddling prospects. Or if you’re unlucky you might up with Kenny Pickett says the best looking pig in the show.

There’s a guy #1 overall sometimes and beyond that it’s develop a freak you take a little later (Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, maybe throw Herbert in there - none of whom went top 5) or get lucky in the mid rounds (Dak, Russell Wilson). Top 5 picks at QB save the studs who go #1 have been a disaster.

Imagine he’ll be a little cheaper post injury than if he’d torn it up the last few weeks and to close out the season, but financials are a key for White. Him at $2.5M this year is different than him at say $10M and if he wins a job and runs with it the going vet starter rate is 2-3 times that. How’s he look with a weak roster because he’s getting paid?

40 minutes ago, derp said:

In an odd way if it means they’ll actually try to develop a guy instead of throw him to the wolves I like the idea of a project, but I could also very much see the argument that the organization doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to actually develop a quarterback. I honestly don’t know what the right approach for them to take is.

I’m great with a prospect like AR, I love freaks and Im all about it at the QB position these days but for the Jets?  Only if it’s in the mid rounds, you have no plans to play him right away and have a full proof plan to develop him in the right system with patience. 

AR is raw AF the one thing that I will give him the benefit of the doubt on is, new regime, questionable system, worst skills positions in the history of the program, so it wouldn’t shock me if he figured it out, he’s insanely talented but I just think on the heels of Zach Wilson, way too risky. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JiFields said:

I’m great with a prospect like AR, I love freaks and Im all about it at the QB position these days but for the Jets?  Only if it’s in the mid rounds, you have no plans to play him right away and have a full proof plan to develop him in the right system with patience. 

AR is raw AF the one thing that I will give him the benefit of the doubt on is, new regime, questionable system, worst skills positions in the history of the program, so it wouldn’t shock me if he figured it out, he’s insanely talented but I just think on the heels of Zach Wilson, way too risky. 

Yeah, I said everything but mid rounds above. Totally agree they’d need to sit him and have an actual plan and I’m not sure they’d have that. I’d think after Wilson they’d feel a need to do better, so in some ways it’s better than others.

I think the two areas I disagree with you are the mid rounds thing - I just don’t think he’s making it there even if it’s where he belongs - and that it’s too risky on the heels of Wilson. Regarding the risky thing - I think taking a quarterback is inherently risky, so I don’t think Richardson is that different. Bust rates are very high. If a guy gets the safe label he’s either going first overall or he’s not very good.

In a way it’d be comforting that everyone would actually understand Richardson is a dice roll and needs to be developed. That’s what Wilson was too, but fan and organizational expectations got out of whack with what you and I knew to be true about him. I don’t think that’d happen with Richardson the same way since really nobody thinks he’s ready and for some reason some folks thought Wilson was. 

But I do get the idea that the organization that handled Wilson so poorly isn’t the right one to bring Richardson along. I actually think he’d be terrifying on the Lions. Sit behind Goff a year or two, play behind that OL, little QB run game to complement the way they pound it with the backs, St. Brown underneath as a safety blanket, bombs to Williams to stretch the field. Think that’s the best situation for a young QB and he’s the most talented. Anyway, I don’t know where that leaves what the Jets should do at QB. It’s a rough spot. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, I said everything but mid rounds above. Totally agree they’d need to sit him and have an actual plan and I’m not sure they’d have that. I’d think after Wilson they’d feel a need to do better, so in some ways it’s better than others.

I think the two areas I disagree with you are the mid rounds thing - I just don’t think he’s making it there even if it’s where he belongs - and that it’s too risky on the heels of Wilson. Regarding the risky thing - I think taking a quarterback is inherently risky, so I don’t think Richardson is that different. Bust rates are very high. If a guy gets the safe label he’s either going first overall or he’s not very good.

In a way it’d be comforting that everyone would actually understand Richardson is a dice roll and needs to be developed. That’s what Wilson was too, but fan and organizational expectations got out of whack with what you and I knew to be true about him. I don’t think that’d happen with Richardson the same way since really nobody thinks he’s ready and for some reason some folks thought Wilson was. 

But I do get the idea that the organization that handled Wilson so poorly isn’t the right one to bring Richardson along. I actually think he’d be terrifying on the Lions. Sit behind Goff a year or two, play behind that OL, little QB run game to complement the way they pound it with the backs, St. Brown underneath as a safety blanket, bombs to Williams to stretch the field. Think that’s the best situation for a young QB and he’s the most talented. Anyway, I don’t know where that leaves what the Jets should do at QB. It’s a rough spot. 

Oh he’s going in the first.  He’s arguably the best athlete to come out since Myles Garrett, pure freak, will be the best athlete on the field 99% of the time.  If the Jets could some how trade Wilson and bring a stable vet, I could stomach AR in the 1st but to bring him in as competition would be a disaster because he’s such a freak, it would very hard not to play him too soon.  Especially if the starter falters. The roars for AR would be louder than the boos for Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Oh he’s going in the first.  He’s arguably the best athlete to come out since Myles Garrett, pure freak, will be the best athlete on the field 99% of the time.  If the Jets could some how trade Wilson and bring a stable vet, I could stomach AR in the 1st but to bring him in as competition would be a disaster because he’s such a freak, it would very hard not to play him too soon.  Especially if the starter falters. The roars for AR would be louder than the boos for Wilson. 

I actually think Saleh could commit to sitting him. I don’t think the Johnson’s are the right owners to stick to that plan and I don’t honestly think I trust the offensive coaching staff to build around his skill set. Or at least those would be my major concerns.

In some ways it’s a shame that Lance got hurt this year as if he’d had success in the Shanahan system this year after sitting I think Saleh could point to that, ownership would get it, and the offensive coaching staff would have a framework to build off of.

It’s just kind of hard to be at the point that the QB’s who have truly hit lately are freaks, here’s a freak who might not go at the very top of the draft, but hey the team shouldn’t take him because they can’t actually develop him successfully. That leaves you with…gut the roster to bring in a veteran who raises your floor to 7-10 and lowers the ceiling to divisional round exit?

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:07 AM, derp said:

I actually think Saleh could commit to sitting him. I don’t think the Johnson’s are the right owners to stick to that plan and I don’t honestly think I trust the offensive coaching staff to build around his skill set. Or at least those would be my major concerns.

In some ways it’s a shame that Lance got hurt this year as if he’d had success in the Shanahan system this year after sitting I think Saleh could point to that, ownership would get it, and the offensive coaching staff would have a framework to build off of.

It’s just kind of hard to be at the point that the QB’s who have truly hit lately are freaks, here’s a freak who might not go at the very top of the draft, but hey the team shouldn’t take him because they can’t actually develop him successfully. That leaves you with…gut the roster to bring in a veteran who raises your floor to 7-10 and lowers the ceiling to divisional round exit?

Saleh could start with that plan. But Jets are so desperate for good QB play that by mid season that plan goes out the window once they’re 4-5 or whatever. And the roars grow louder and force his hand. 
He would need to announce it also, stating he will not be playing. We’re taking this slow and want him to really grow. (That alone is hard to do right after Zach). They would def need to a Jimmy G to keep fans entertained and the team competitive to make that more palatable. 

Plus this staff currently has nobody on the offensive side to develop a QB properly. Unless they bring in a veteran guy, I have no faith they’ll develop even sitting for a year. 

Yeah I don't think 2023 is the year for us to take another QB in the draft.  Maybe '24 like maury said - IMO it's a better crop and at that point we'll know exactly what we have in White.  If it's still a need then, we'll have at least addressed some of these other big holes like OL and potentially the LB position with our '23 draft.  Just my take, but I'm completely on board with giving White the keys in 2023-24 - as long as it means we bring in a legitimate backup to sit behind him.  Can't be Zach.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Saleh could start with that plan. But Jets are so desperate for good QB play that by mid season that plan goes out the window once they’re 4-5 or whatever. And the roars grow louder and force his hand. 
He would need to announce it also, stating he will not be playing. We’re taking this slow and want him to really grow. (That alone is hard to do right after Zach). They would def need to a Jimmy G to keep fans entertained and the team competitive to make that more palatable. 

Plus this staff currently has nobody on the offensive side to develop a QB properly. Unless they bring in a veteran guy, I have no faith they’ll develop even sitting for a year. 

I honestly don’t think Saleh really gets his hand forced. He strikes me as pretty methodical and has done stuff his own way. Set up for White to come in if things went south without making a big deal out of it, and I think that was intentional. 

But yeah, he’d absolutely need to announce Richardson is sitting this year no matter what. Like, QB3, inactive every game day, team has another backup, if QB1 or QB2 is hurt another QB is brought on to be active in game day. Bring in Brissett and someone else maybe.

Agree about the coaching staff flaws. They’d need to axe MLF and/or bring in a legit QB coach, someone to take the Knapp role. Basically somebody whose job is to work with Richardson while the rest of the team is practicing. And they’d need to build a scheme around what Richardson does well.

The deeper you go into it the more it’s a massive long shot, but I’d love to see them take a legitimate and thorough approach to developing a talented QB.

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my mind on AR.  If I were JD my plan would be this:

- trade Zach Wilson for anything you can get.

- sign a stable veteran on a 2 year deal; Dalton, Jimmy G., Brissett, Mayfield, Winston, idgaf really, just someone who can game manage you to a + .500 record.

- draft Anthony Richardson w/ the idea, he's probably inactive the entire season and will be the back up in year 2.

- during that time, build an all world OL and continue to stack at the skills position while you develop AR.

Boom!  Championship. 

I think Richardson is going to be great in the NFL

Big as hell, strong arm, fast & quick. Reminds me of Josh Allen

--

by the way watching his highlights I see this beautiful wide receiver named Pearsall. I dont know what kinda of prospect he is or if he's even NFL eligible yet but he looks polished in the slot, Jets should try to get him too

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

- sign a stable veteran on a 2 year deal; Dalton, Jimmy G., Brissett, Mayfield, Winston, idgaf really, just someone who can game manage you to a + .500 record.

- draft Anthony Richardson w/ the idea, he's probably inactive the entire season and will be the back up in year 2.

- during that time, build an all world OL and continue to stack at the skills position while you develop AR.

Boom!  Championship. 

Pizza Yes GIF

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:01 AM, JiFields said:

Boom!  Championship. 

Fine, except you have to (apparently he's a lock in the 1st if you believe draft blow hards) hedge your 13th pick in the 1st round on AR.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Fine, except you have to (apparently he's a lock in the 1st if you believe draft blow hards) hedge your 13th pick in the 1st round on AR.

Yep, I know it and I'm cool w/ it but also why my plan would never happen which I get but idk, kind of feels like if there was a regime that did have the patience, it would be this group.  

• Upvote 1

I think what's hard for me is that he exudes raw talent but needs to be in a coaching staff that'll develop him properly. Given how negligent our whole org has been to actually staff a real competent QB coach I don't have much confidence in us doing a proper job. If we assume we get a competent plan in place I wouldn't mind it.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think what's hard for me is that he exudes raw talent but needs to be in a coaching staff that'll develop him properly. Given how negligent our whole org has been to actually staff a real competent QB coach I don't have much confidence in us doing a proper job. If we assume we get a competent plan in place I wouldn't mind it.

The big arm and the mobility are cool and will always get my attention but it’s the flashes pocket navigation and eye discipline in the Waldman video that really intrigued me. There’s a lot of stuff you can’t teach quarterbacks and I think we focus too much on the tangible things you can’t teach and not enough on the intangible things you can’t teach. That Richardson flashed the intangible stuff you can’t teach is really what has my attention.

Honestly they’d need to hire multiple guys. One to guide MLF (or just a new offensive staff) and I’d also want to see a dedicated QB coach hired basically to just work with Richardson while he’s inactive all year. I highly doubt they do it but I think because of the tools, the obvious need for gradual development, and where the team is at in the rebuild this is the guy I’d want them to take and just bring along slowly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

The big arm and the mobility are cool and will always get my attention but it’s the flashes pocket navigation and eye discipline in the Waldman video that really intrigued me. There’s a lot of stuff you can’t teach quarterbacks and I think we focus too much on the tangible things you can’t teach and not enough on the intangible things you can’t teach. That Richardson flashed the intangible stuff you can’t teach is really what has my attention.

Honestly they’d need to hire multiple guys. One to guide MLF (or just a new offensive staff) and I’d also want to see a dedicated QB coach hired basically to just work with Richardson while he’s inactive all year. I highly doubt they do it but I think because of the tools, the obvious need for gradual development, and where the team is at in the rebuild this is the guy I’d want them to take and just bring along slowly.

We need the senior staff plan regardless, which if it occurs the way you listed out I'd be happy with assuming competent choices. I just don't see taking Richardson as likely given that JD and Saleh will be actually in a hot seat next year in my opinion if they don't at least make the playoffs.

I'd likely move on from MLF  regardless because it's apparent that a strong cross-section of players don't believe in him and try again with a new offensive staff. Get a bridge QB and draft Richardson to develop him and basically say from day one that he's got to earn any playing time coming his way and that he won't play until he shows enough in practice. And then they need to figure out how to rebuild the line, again.

What goads me to no end is that that they opted out of several developmental offensive lineman rich drafts and are in the position of considering yet another tackle prospect and realistically need at least one or two IOL upgrades as well.