Ummmmm Gardner Minshew playing

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Houston, Indy, New Orleans, Carolina are all teams that will be looking for a starter. But he'll probably prefer coming to the jets to backup White on a cap friendly deal because stuff.

So let’s not even try then. ? 

You worried about the cap or something? ? 

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Colts, Houston, maybe Seattle. His best shot is probably just to hang around the Eagles.

Ok now you’ve gotten into the medicine cabinet. He won’t come to jets to back up one of the most unavailable guys (assuming the Jets anoint MW and don’t call for a competition) but he should stick around to back up an MVP-caliber player?

Minshew wants to start and will choose the team he thinks gives him the shortest path to doing so. Quality of the supporting cast the likely tiebreaker.

Jets look pretty good if it goes to the tiebreak.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you want to sign Minshew you're signing him as the starter, not as a backup to Mike White.

Who says?  Where’s that in the rule book?

You can tell Minshew whatever he needs to hear in negotiations.  “You’re entering an open competition” or whatever.  I’m merely suggesting the end result is a healthy White as QB1 in Week 1.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s not “settling” if it’s the best strategy.

None of those 4 options you listed are enticing and several of them cost draft capital PLUS big dollars.  That isn’t “thinking big”.  That’s thinking fairly recklessly with our resources.  

The White+Minshew model saves our picks AND money with little drop-off.  

They both want a big raise. It’s not going to be cheap and the drop off is the difference between winning and losing. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The rule where you're not allowed to physically capture and enslave people and force them to play on your team.

You can tell Minshew whatever he needs to hear in negotiations.  “You’re entering an open competition” or whatever.  I’m merely suggesting the end result is a healthy White as QB1 in Week 1.

In the end there’s no other spot where he gets a QB1 look any more guaranteed than he does here.  Anywhere he goes he’ll be a QB1b at best.  No one out there is signing him as their rock solid QB1.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

They both want a big raise. It’s not going to be cheap and the drop off is the difference between winning and losing. 

If JD can get BYU off the books by trade — even if we have to give up capital to do so ala Brock Osweiler deal — it opens all kinds of interesting possibilities. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can tell Minshew whatever he needs to hear I’m negotiations.  “You’re entering an open competition” or whatever.  I’m merely suggesting the end result is a healthy White as QB1 in Week 1.

Ok but he is still a free agent and will choose what he thinks is the best opportunity. I think someone is going to offer him the starter position and starter money.

Maybe it should be us.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Ok but he is still a free agent and will choose what he thinks is the best opportunity. I think someone is going to offer him the starter position and starter money.

None of those teams you listed can afford to hand the keys to Gardner Minshew so I completely disagree.  

Here is as good of a destination for him as any out there.  

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you want to sign Minshew you're signing him as the starter, not as a backup to Mike White.

Says who ? He hasn’t earned his way to big pay day yet. His best situation is going to a team with “chance” to compete for starting job. Like the jets. Not sure he would beat out Mike white. But either 1 is a capable backup, something zach Wilson is not and will be a number 3 on jets or somewhere else next yr.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok now you’ve gotten into the medicine cabinet. He won’t come to jets to back up one of the most unavailable guys (assuming the Jets anoint MW and don’t call for a competition) but he should stick around to back up an MVP-caliber player?

Minshew wants to start and will choose the team he thinks gives him the shortest path to doing so. Quality of the supporting cast the likely tiebreaker.

Jets look pretty good if it goes to the tiebreak.

My issue with Minshew is that you’d have to bring him in as the 1 on what is likely a multi-year deal and that’s a dicey proposition to take up. If they go hunting for a #1, they can probably do better than Minshew. They’d be better off running with White and—if things go to hell—jump into the Caleb Williams/Drake Maye sweepstakes

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Maybe it should be us.

If Gardner plays again and looks good again, he might not be a FA. Eagles could opt to tag-and-trade to recoup something.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

None of those teams you listed can afford to hand the keys to Gardner Minshew so I completely disagree.  

Here is as good of a destination for him as any out there.  

I don’t blame Jets fans for emotionally hedging against the possibility of good things happening. I do it all the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My issue with Minshew is that you’d have to bring him in as the 1 on what is likely a multi-year deal and that’s a dicey proposition to take up. If they go hunting for a #1, they can probably do better than Minshew. They’d be better off running with White and—if things go to hell—jump into the Caleb Williams/Drake Maye sweepstakes

What’s the running with contract look like for MW ?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lot of assumptions in there. JD should give Minshew his best offer, whatever that entails, and then it comes down to what else is out there. Removing oneself from the poker table before the hand is dealt might limit disappointment but it completely removes the chance that holy sh*t you may actually have the best cards. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Says who ? He hasn’t earned his way to big pay day yet. His best situation is going to a team with “chance” to compete for starting job. Like the jets. Not sure he would beat out Mike white. But either 1 is a capable backup, something zach Wilson is not and will be a number 3 on jets or somewhere else next yr.

Minshew hasn't been a FA in his career. He looks the role when he plays and has the stats to back it up. About a 3.5/1 career TD/int ratio 

What does he need to do for NFL teams to think he's starter worthy that he hasn't already done?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Really?

I think Minshew is exactly the guy you can get on a friendly-ish deal - NFL teams have been wary of buying into his seemingly decent stats to this point - Not sure some good games for the best offence in football will suddenly turn him into a hot commodity.

If he's asking for a lot more than White then I'd just move on tbh. Ideally you'd get both of them on high end backup/borderline starter level contracts for 2 years or so and you let them battle it out. Even if you want to go with White not getting a quality backup would be some extreme negligence given his struggles to stay healthy. 

• Upvote 3