Frank Reich

TNJet

7 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No facts here...moving on.

100% facts, but you were close. 

Esiason, the former NFL MVP, recently told the New York Post that he picked up Reich after the latter’s interview in January 2015. When the Chargers’ offensive coordinator said he thought the interview went well, his former college teammate shared his input.

I said, ‘You don’t want this team right now. I know this is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. You’re interviewing for a head-coaching position in the NFL. It’s awesome. But I said you don’t want this job. There are too many uncertainties. You don’t know who your quarterback is going to be. Ownership goes with the wind. They listen to their fan base. They read the papers. They listen to sports talk radio. They get Twitter-fied. It was not, at that moment, what I would consider that great of a job.”

Boomer Esiason

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Larz said:

Esiason, the former NFL MVP, recently told the New York Post that he picked up Reich after the latter’s interview in January 2015. When the Chargers’ offensive coordinator said he thought the interview went well, his former college teammate shared his input.

I said, ‘You don’t want this team right now. I know this is the greatest opportunity of a lifetime. You’re interviewing for a head-coaching position in the NFL. It’s awesome. But I said you don’t want this job. There are too many uncertainties. You don’t know who your quarterback is going to be. Ownership goes with the wind. They listen to their fan base. They read the papers. They listen to sports talk radio. They get Twitter-fied. It was not, at that moment, what I would consider that great of a job.”

Boomer Esiason

I remember when Boomer said that.  I doubt his opinion has changed very much, so I would be shocked if Reich ended up with us, unless there is an especially strong relationship with Douglass, which I supposed is possible from their Philly days.

Just now, Phillyjet said:

I remember when Boomer said that.  I doubt his opinion has changed very much, so I would be shocked if Reich ended up with us, unless there is an especially strong relationship with Douglass, which I supposed is possible from their Philly days.

He’s available to interview but hasn’t. 

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

Boomer Esiason

Boomer wasn’t wrong then or now lol 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

No Reich was in 96 with O’Donnel & Foley.  Think that was the year O’Donnel was injured in pregame warmups.  

Man O'Donnell was great when he had time to throw....to bad he never had any behind our olines back then lol

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Yet had Keyshawn, Chrebet, Jeff Graham and even Kyle Brady to throw to. Adrian Murrell was an underrated back. Good playmakers back then.

And just as unlikely, Kotite was a pretty good OC under Walton, running his offense.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Why would he want to downgrade positions, especially for this team?

Because he was fired and doesn’t have a position to downgrade from.  He may get a HC option and would take it I would imagine but don’t know that he gets an opportunity 

• Upvote 1

The strange thing about Reich is that instead of drafting a young QB to eventually play, he brought in Rivers, Wentz and Ryan. I know “win now” but he did such a great job with Wentz in Philly. Maybe he’s at the point in his career where he’s done with the developmental stuff. Would watch Chargers for him if owner makes Staley walk the plank. Thing with  Reich is he would bring in a great staff.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Boomer Esiason

But he's recently fired, has no job to downgrade from and probably would rather just coordinate an offense right now anyway.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

But he's recently fired, has no job to downgrade from and probably would rather just coordinate an offense right now anyway.

When the Colts fired Frank Reich in November, many observers were confused as to why the team made the decision at midseason—especially because the team just gave Reich a contract extension through 2026 just last year.

he’s living the dream. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Why would he want to downgrade positions, especially for this team?

Well, if he senses that the will not get a head coaching job, maybe then.  Saleh will be on the hot seat....perhaps Reich is quietly ambitious and could position himself to be elevated to HC if/when Saleh takes a fall next season?