2023 NFL Combine day four, Oline and RBs

Beerfish

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Big day for scouting for the Jets, oline today.

Jet's don't 'need' a RB but there are some very good ones this year imo.

Pairing Robinson and Hall together would be a zag type of move I could get behind. I’m sure everyone would hate it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pairing Robinson and Hall together would be a zag type of move I could get behind. I’m sure everyone would hate it.

I like cheaply adding guys who can score from anywhere on the field, seems like best position to do that is RB. That said, I think more bang for the buck with someone like Achane.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Stacey Dales can't wait to see the blindside protector for Bryce Young.  Broderick Jones???

Eisen just called Jeremiah Mike Mayock.   lol

These guys are having issues today.

Also Taylor Lewan was pretty good in his piece. 

The running back conundrum, to draft high or not to draft high?   They (pundits) have Robinson rated as a top 5 player, does he like Barkley get drafted that high?  I'd argue that Breece Hall is what you want a top end back to be and we got him at 36th.

The issue is RBs always get hurt, Barkley as out for like a full year, Breece got hurt.

Then you can find impact backs all over the place.

What say you all?  Go ahead and pick a guy really early or hold off?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The running back conundrum, to draft high or not to draft high?   They (pundits) have Robinson rated as a top 5 player, does he like Barkley get drafted that high?  I'd argue that Breece Hall is what you want a top end back to be and we got him at 36th.

The issue is RBs always get hurt, Barkley as out for like a full year, Breece got hurt.

Then you can find impact backs all over the place.

JMO: Robinson isn’t in the same class as Barkley. He’s a deluxe Kareem Hunt with nasty instincts, but he’s no 5 draft talent. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For a team that is ready to win now, you can pick an RB early.  They play and contribute as rookies.  If you are a good team, you are probably picking late, which means a reasonable contract. 

But a team picking top 10, imo, should not think about an RB until round 2.  We got Hall in R2.  Chubb, Taylor, Walker, D Cook, Mixon, Henry all went in R2.  That is the sweet spot for RB in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Tyjae Spears or Devon Achane later in the draft.  

Achane is fantastic, I've watched every game.

Elite speed, good hands, tougher than you'd think.  Only about 185, so not a 300 carry guy, but what a 3rd down back he'd be.

• Upvote 1

Broderick Jones looks like the top guy to me now.  It was him and Johnson but Jones locked it in with the measurements and ridiculous athleticism for a man his size.  @Lith is there anything not to like other than he probably won't make it to 13 now?

What's nice is there are a few other guys who look like solid prospects in case we trade down.  It feels like a good crop for OL without there being a single dominant name, which is perfect for where we are drafting.

Oh and a treat for reading to the end:

• Upvote 2

Tennessee offensive tackle Darnell Wright

Wright might've been the most impressive, analytical speaker at the combine. He spoke intelligently and confidently about the art of pass protection like few other prospects were capable of, or willing to. He went into staggering detail explaining why he was able to shut down top edge rush prospects Will Anderson and B.J. Ojulari, chronicling the differences between speed rushers, power rushers and finesse rushers and explaining the simple, observable adjustments offensive linemen can make to their footwork to ensure they counter a rusher's strengths with their own.

Wright is ESPN Scouts Inc.'s 11th-rated tackle, and is projected as an early third-round pick. But he's going to rise up boards. His intelligence is evident and, as more scouts dive deeper into prospects from Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Clemson, they'll see more tape of how Wright thrived against so many top prospects.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Broderick Jones looks like the top guy to me now.  It was him and Johnson but Jones locked it in with the measurements and ridiculous athleticism for a man his size.  @Lith is there anything not to like other than he probably won't make it to 13 now?

What's nice is there are a few other guys who look like solid prospects in case we trade down.  It feels like a good crop for OL without there being a single dominant name, which is perfect for where we are drafting.

Oh and a treat for reading to the end:

Two thoughts.  Jones is much more effective as a pass blocker than a run blocker, which is a good thing in today's pass centric NFL, but he is not going to come in year one as a complete OT excelling in both phases.  He also only played tackle for us, and if Duane Brown returns and Becton is healthy, we woudl need him to play guard for a season and then slide over.  I am not sure about his transition to G.  Johnson has at least one full season at guard at OSU, so his versatility might make him a bit more valuable to us.

I wold be happy with either guy, but I like Johnson's versatility given the current roster.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

image.jpeg.4bf1215775f3d1f820727cea1b833ba7.jpeg

Obvious comparison is obvious and bears out in testing. FWIW based on my limited viewing this year, I think AVT was a better tackle prospect. 

I'm down on Skoronski as a tackle FWIW. The arm length is one thing, but I have concerns about his anchor too. 

• Upvote 1