Thoughts on Blue Öyster Cult

I've been ön an öddly öbsessive Blue Öyster Cult binge-listening periöd öf late.

I'm curiöus what the great assembled brains öf JN think öf this band, especially their creative periöd öf 1972-1985 (and the peak öf 1972-1977).

Blue_Oyster_Cult_1977_publicity_photo.jp

Thanks all. :)

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've been ön an öddly öbsessive Blue Öyster Cult binge-listening periöd öf late.

I'm curiöus what the great assembled brains öf JN think öf this band, especially their creative periöd öf 1972-1985 (and the peak öf 1972-1977).

Blue_Oyster_Cult_1977_publicity_photo.jp

Thanks all. :)

• Upvote 1

I've been down a BOC kick a few times.  They're a phenomenal band. So versatile.  So many great songs, so many great riffs, incredible rhythm section.  Just an all time band.  Loved how they could do dark and ominous to progressive and psychedelic from song to song on their albums. 

• Upvote 1

I saw them at the end of their 'creative' period in 84 or 85.  I enjoyed the show.  I believe Joan Jett opened up for them.  Probably a sign of their time, it was a rare show I saw back in the day I was able to get on the floor.  The then Worcester Centrum was practically empty in the upper level.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I saw them at the end of their 'creative' period in 84 or 85.  I enjoyed the show.  I believe Joan Jett opened up for them.  Probably a sign of their time, it was a rare show I saw back in the day I was able to get on the floor.  The then Worcester Centrum was practically empty in the upper level.

I think I saw that same tour that year at the Stanley Performing Arts center in Utica, NY. They had the Godzilla robot on stage and had mirrors on the back of their guitars they shined out into the crowd. Great show, great band. See them again about 12 years ago at Va beach still great.

• Upvote 3

Wow, just seeing this. 

I'm a huge fan of BOC and they are still on my weekly playlist even now. They were like, 3 or 4 Jewish kids out of Long Island NY who were writing songs about Nazis, esotericism, Occult, and extraterrestrial visits to planet Earth. 

I loved them. The guitar riffs were just as good as anything Sabbath or Zep were doing at the time, and they were AMERICAN. For a kid growing up in Hudson County NJ, they were "local". they were pre-Blondie/Ramones CBGB's but they were heroes of mine. Unfortunately, so many of my peers just didn't see it. They had Rush, Zep, Priest... that was enough.

Me, I had to go deeper. Enjoy the ride, Warfish.

• Upvote 1

HMMMM I guess I'll be the dissenting dick of the thread.

You asked what I thought so....

I grew up with a TON of BOC fans. I'm talking painted denim jacket types with that dumb symbol and some kind of dragon or a horse  if I remember correctly

Anyway what can I say. heard it all, never cared for any of it. Not sure why they had a cult following. Forgive the pun

Its a NO from me dog

On 3/17/2023 at 4:49 PM, Ron Rico said:

Wow, just seeing this. 

I'm a huge fan of BOC and they are still on my weekly playlist even now. They were like, 3 or 4 Jewish kids out of Long Island NY who were writing songs about Nazis, esotericism, Occult, and extraterrestrial visits to planet Earth. 

I loved them. The guitar riffs were just as good as anything Sabbath or Zep were doing at the time, and they were AMERICAN. For a kid growing up in Hudson County NJ, they were "local". they were pre-Blondie/Ramones CBGB's but they were heroes of mine. Unfortunately, so many of my peers just didn't see it. They had Rush, Zep, Priest... that was enough.

Me, I had to go deeper. Enjoy the ride, Warfish.

Yes, they used to play Long Island clubs under the name Soft White Underbelly late 70’s, early 80’s. They started out as a bar mitzvah band, lol. Be better if Long Island were known for them instead of Billy Joel. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, they used to play Long Island clubs under the name Soft White Underbelly late 70’s, early 80’s. They started out as a bar mitzvah band, lol. Be better if Long Island were known for them instead of Billy Joel. 

Not taking anything away from Billy Joel, he wrote some great songs, but listen to Procol Harum's body of work, I think that Billy was heavily influenced by Gary Brooker, to the point of possible plagiarism. 

7 hours ago, slats said:

They actually played all over the tri state area under that name. 

They need more cowbell....

• Haha 2