Can we talk about Woody Johnson and how far he has come

15 minutes ago, extmenace said:

What’s the point in owning the team then? Owners want to be involved. NFL Owners are businessmen on a different level, they didn’t get to where they were by not being involved. You can argue if they are good or bad all you want, but I just don’t think you’ll ever find an owner that wouldn’t want to be involved in helping build the team. 

The same as an owner of every other business. To provide value to the daily operations of the business (if they have an intrinsic knowledge of that business), provide guidance of business fundamentals to grow the business, and set boundaries as to business goals and objectives.

Smart ownership of business realize what they know and what they don't know. Does Woody have any background or experience in actively managing football operations, personnel, or the intricacies of the game? To my knowledge, no. In that case, take the advice of the experts that you have hired in those areas, and create a "check with me" on the boundaries. 

Woody should be a guiding hand. Not a football advisor. 

• Upvote 2

As of this week, the Jets have the longest playoff drought in American sports. Not just football, but sports. He gets credit for nothing. The franchise has done nothing but get consistently worse the deeper it gets into his ownership.

Anyone who shills for this guy, I mean come the **** on already.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The same as an owner of every other business. To provide value to the daily operations of the business (if they have an intrinsic knowledge of that business), provide guidance of business fundamentals to grow the business, and set boundaries as to business goals and objectives.

Smart ownership of business realize what they know and what they don't know. Does Woody have any background or experience in actively managing football operations, personnel, or the intricacies of the game? To my knowledge, no. In that case, take the advice of the experts that you have hired in those areas, and create a "check with me" on the boundaries. 

I mean he’s owned the team for what 23 years now? You’re going to say he doesn’t have experience?

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I understand all the love for Woody Johnson, but I don't quite feel the way you do.  From what I read, Joe Douglas and his staff wanted Carr as our QB, but Woody interfered and insisted on Rodgers.  While getting Rodgers is definitely a win in my eyes, I think that Carr might have been a bigger win.  Less money, younger, still a high quality QB, and giving up zero draft picks.  

The Jets have been big losers for the last decade plus, and Woody Johnson is a big reason why.  Yes, the staff and JD rallied around getting Rodgers after Woody made his decision, but Woody should have stayed the hell out of it.  He continues to think he knows more than he does.  In my mind, he is a dummy!  I know I am in the minority, but this is how I feel.

Im not sure why you think they wanted carr. I didnt see that, not that it isnt true, but I would assume the probably though he be much cheaper and be sufficinet. But I think saleh and Joe wanted Rogers. BUt agree with you if rogers was not available he would have been a win..no draft picks etc.

I think you might be the majority friend.

7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Im not sure why you think they wanted carr. I didnt see that, not that it isnt true, but I would assume the probably though he be much cheaper and be sufficinet. But I think saleh and Joe wanted Rogers. BUt agree with you if rogers was not available he would have been a win..no draft picks etc.

I think you might be the majority friend.

It is possible Carr was the top target for Douglas and Saleh.

Douglas gave him a number but Carr seemed to only have eyes for NO. 

Saleh also made an offhand comment when Rodgers was getting baked about bringing in a QB in his early thirties. Carr fits that description.

I wonder if Woody blew up when they found out Carr was off the table and demanded they get Rodgers. Beforehand Woody made comments about leaving it up to Douglas and Saleh. This week he's talking about how the team is in win now mode. I don't think of Woody as playing fifty dimensional chess with the media. Something changed in his tone about the offseason.

I get it. When you sour on someone, every little thing they do or don't do is going to bother you. Woody Johnson's reign as owner has been an abject failure. With the exception of two AFC Championship games, Woody's Jets have done bupkis. 

Woody 2.0 has allowed Joe Douglas to run this team since his return from the UK. Aside from being goofy on Twitter, Woody has remained relatively quiet and has been hands off. He owns the team and I have no problem with the owner of a team getting involved when it comes to a franchise altering trade. If you have a problem the totality of Woody's ownership, I cannot argue. If you have a problem with post-UK Woody, I'm not sure if you have much ammo to back up your argument.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

How has that worked out for the Jets? The majority of people he has hired have been very bad at what they do. He can't even vet properly. 

I didn’t say anything about how good or bad he’s been, but he is plenty experienced to be involved with running the team. When it’s all said and done, for the most part, you win superbowls with good QBs. You’re successful for long periods of times with good QBs. People keep jobs with good QBs. Owners look great with elite qbs. The jets haven’t had one since he’s owned the team. Belicheck / Kraft is a great example of that, looked mediocre before Brady, looked elite with Brady, looks mediocre after Brady. Is Robert Kraft a great owner or did a once in a generation talent bring a mediocre franchise to greatness? The patriots franchise doesn’t look all that great now does it? We need to find a damn qb, once they do, everyone will look a lot better at doing their jobs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 1:38 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

As of this week, the Jets have the longest playoff drought in American sports. Not just football, but sports. He gets credit for nothing. The franchise has done nothing but get consistently worse the deeper it gets into his ownership.

Anyone who shills for this guy, I mean come the **** on already.

If I see Rodgers in a jets hat in a press conference maybe I take back 10% of the bad things I have said about Woody and his brother last 15 years.  Those 2 have turned this team into a clown college

On 3/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Um...the ny jets with a very subpar product as of forever...get one of most profitable teams in all sports. Pretty sure woody is doing pretty good. Lately he finally has got the right football people in place. I think we are all going to do finally see our team get to the promise land.

It's does take long for a team to lose its stink not matter how long they Stunk we you turn it around. See buccs, buffalo, etc

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Um...the ny jets with a very subpar product as of forever...get one of most profitable teams in all sports. Pretty sure woody is doing pretty good. Lately he finally has got the right football people in place. I think we are all going to do finally see our team get to the promise land.

It's does take long for a team to lose its stink not matter how long they Stunk we you turn it around. See buccs, buffalo, etc

Woody might be the best owner from profit perspective in NFL. He’s the Max Bialystok of football. Learned long ago you can make more money with a cheaper loser in NY than an expensive winner.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jgb said:

Woody might be the best owner from profit perspective in NFL. He’s the Max Bialystok of football. Learned long ago you can make more money with a cheaper loser in NY than an expensive winner.

Woody has more money than any one will ever need. I disagree with you.  Yes he wants to be profitable but at his age it's like owning a lake and someone is giving you truckload of water. Sounds great but you'll never need the water. What Woody can't get with money is the kind of treatment he gets as a winning owner.

In 2009 he appeared at the Tampa Bay Jets club tailgate.  He looked happy, was being cheered etc. Now?  

What could he possibly do with an extra billion and I am serious. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Woody has more money than any one will ever need. I disagree with you.  Yes he wants to be profitable but at his age it's like owning a lake and someone is giving you truckload of water. Sounds great but you'll never need the water. What Woody can't get with money is the kind of treatment he gets as a winning owner.

In 2009 he appeared at the Tampa Bay Jets club tailgate.  He looked happy, was being cheered etc. Now?  

What could he possibly do with an extra billion and I am serious. 

We can only hope as he ages, he has a Leon Hess “I can’t take it with me” moment and puts winning above profit.  

But to date his actions as owner have mostly been very profit-focused. Although, I’ll admit he seems to be big game hunting now beginning with JD. 

By the way, I’m not knocking it. I’d run a football team like a business also if 90% of my wealth was tied into it, as it is with Woody. I actually wish Woody was even wealthier, so he viewed the Jets as a proxy ego trip rather than a pure business.

We can only hope as he ages, he has a Leon Hess “I can’t take it with me” moment and puts winning above profit.  

But to date his actions as owner have mostly been very profit-focused. Although, I’ll admit he seems to be big game hunting now beginning with JD. 
By the way, I’m not knocking it. I’d run a football team like a business also if 90% of my wealth was tied into it, as it is with Woody. I actually wish Woody was even wealthier, so he viewed the Jets as a proxy ego trip rather than a pure business.
Net worth

Johnson and Johnson : 90 billion
NY Jets : 5.4 billion

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Net worth

Johnson and Johnson : 90 billion
NY Jets : 5.4 billion

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think you know the difference between Woody Johnson and J&J (by the way $90 billion is far too low for that enterprise).

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Weird thought on the heels of Woody demanding that JD stopped his pursuit of Derek Carr to pay a ridiculous price for a guy who doesnt want to play Football anymore. 

Hate to say it but I believe that decision has a lot to do with leaving the door open for Zach. Which is nauseating btw.