Can we talk about Woody Johnson and how far he has come

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Not sure why so many keep sh*tting on him

Woody is the biggest reason we’re going to be watching Aaron Rodgers at QB instead of Jimmy Garoppolo or Gardner Minshew.

It is funny all the woody hater would have paid through the roof or any of those guys...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He needs to hire someone that serves as a buffer between him and the GM on football decision.  Stay away from football operational decisions. 

If he wants to have his fingerprints in marketing, have at it.

He literally has a gm that makes the football choices. Why hire another guy? That makes no sense. 

And no to the marketing. He signs the checks and let lets Joe be thegm, the hc be the hc. Its great right now

• Upvote 1

I wish they could bring Leon Hess back from the dead to remind everyone what a truly terrible owner is.

Who could ever forget his team inspiring Thanksgiving speech on 11/23/1995 when he riled up the troops by declaring, "Let’s go out with dignity and show ’em we’re not horses’ asses." The Jets went on to win that week while finishing 3-13 for the season.

Who remembers Hess not even having a GM for a good number of years? And he was the guy that moved the Jets to GIANTS Stadium in NJ.

Say what you want about Woody but he miles better than old man Hess was.

• Upvote 1

JD had to drag Woody into the world of analytics and support for scouting resources. Still, look at how the the Jets trail a team like the Eagles in terms of football administration, particularly in analytics. They have done better in pro scouting area, due to JD. Content and multi media, the Jets are right up there. Athletic care, not so much. 

Eagles:

Football Operations

Jets:

Football Administration

How far Woody has come, well at least they are better than this survey in 2017. This was a survey by SI. As one troll says on here, Thank you Joe Douglas, thank you.

NEW YORK JETS

The Jets probably fall into the “skeptic” category, with true separation of church and state. The team employs a three-man analytics staff, and it’s on GM Mike Maccagnan to blend their work into what his scouting staff comes back with. As the Jets see it, and as one staffer says, there’s “an art” to finding the right mix, and that’s where the football side of the organization is doing research on how to grow the operation.

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Nothing is more annoying than the guys who say “this has Woody’s fingerprint all over it” when something looks like it might end up bad, but if it turns out okay, it’s due to the genius of Joe Douglas.

To Woody's credit he doesn't leave fingerprints at his crime scenes.    

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Not sure why so many keep sh*tting on him

Woody is the biggest reason we’re going to be watching Aaron Rodgers at QB instead of Jimmy Garoppolo or Gardner Minshew.

He's also the biggest reason we haven't sniffed the playoffs in almost 2 decades

19 hours ago, David Harris said:

Every single positive move is due to Joe Douglas.

Woody didn’t even hire JD, his brother lucked into him following the worst coach in the NFL‘s recommendation, Adam Gase.

Woody’s awful. Absolutely awful. The only compliment I can give him is that he’s not cheap.

For those downvoting this post, I'm baffled that you don't link the Jets' historic futility with the one constant this team has had for the past 23 years which is the owner, Woody Johnson.  Over his time as owner the Jets have won the AFC East ONCE, and that was 21 years ago in 2002.  You realize there's only 4 teams in a division.  They've lost 50 more games than they've won during his ownership.

The buck stops with him, he runs the whole show, the boss, the leader, the ultimate decision maker; this all falls on him the same as it does for any owner of a company.  Through the endless cycle of HC's, GM's, QB's - he was in charge the entire time and is the only common denominator.  His brother Chris, fell into JD; when Woody returned from Trumpland the team was on the right track and to his credit he hasn't screwed it up yet.

How in the hell do you not call that objective record awful? 

@jetspenguin

@Jet2020

@BornJetsFan1983

@kevinc855

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, David Harris said:

For those downvoting this post, I'm baffled that you don't link the Jets' historic futility with the one constant this team has had for the past 23 years which is the owner, Woody Johnson.  Over his time as owner the Jets have won the AFC East ONCE, and that was 21 years ago in 2002.  You realize there's only 4 teams in a division.  They've lost 50 more games than they've won during his ownership.

The buck stops with him, he runs the whole show, the boss, the leader, the ultimate decision maker; this all falls on him the same as it does for any owner of a company.  Through the endless cycle of HC's, GM's, QB's - he was in charge the entire time and is the only common denominator.  His brother Chris, fell into JD; when Woody returned from Trumpland the team was on the right track and to his credit he hasn't screwed it up yet.

How in the hell do you not call that objective record awful? 

@jetspenguin

@Jet2020

@BornJetsFan1983

@kevinc855

well a couple things here. Yes he is owner and ultimately responsible no argument, but we should also give him credit now for finally having the right people in place to run his team effectively.

The idea well chris fell into argument doesn't hold weight with me at all. he is owner and was in control while away. The idea that he was somehow just gone is silly. He owns the company and chris followed his wishes. Woody after years of bad advise and poor moves hired the right guy period. The busk stops with him. 

And under Joes leadership as GM things have changed team wide in every capacity. you have to give Woody Johnson credit for this. 

I get your opinion is not exactly based on logic shown by your trumpland comments...guys was an American Ambassador. Chill out and admit Woody has been doing great and in this situation where we have Rogers in the wind, the ol woody would have paid through the rook or otherwise taken some sort of lead on the trade talks. This not what is happening he is letting his GM who is a great football GM, run it.

Well done by the owner being an owner.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Fv(&!ng guy is nauseating

I feel like the term .. its really cool ... became a required part of the vernacular at 1 jets drive and to be quite honest .. it makes the grown men using it seem a bit challenged intellectually.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

well a couple things here. Yes he is owner and ultimately responsible no argument, but we should also give him credit now for finally having the right people in place to run his team effectively.

The idea well chris fell into argument doesn't hold weight with me at all. he is owner and was in control while away. The idea that he was somehow just gone is silly. He owns the company and chris followed his wishes. Woody after years of bad advise and poor moves hired the right guy period. The busk stops with him. 

And under Joes leadership as GM things have changed team wide in every capacity. you have to give Woody Johnson credit for this. 

I get your opinion is not exactly based on logic shown by your trumpland comments...guys was an American Ambassador. Chill out and admit Woody has been doing great and in this situation where we have Rogers in the wind, the ol woody would have paid through the rook or otherwise taken some sort of lead on the trade talks. This not what is happening he is letting his GM who is a great football GM, run it.

Well done by the owner being an owner.

My apologies for making people defensive for the Trumpland comment.  However, you're wrong about who called the shots while Woody was an ambassador (though I'm sure the brothers spoke).  Christopher found and hired JD (lucked from Adam Gase connection), and yes, Woody hasn't gotten in the way of JD. 

Woody Johnson is objectively awful.  His win/loss record as an owner is bottom 5 in the league over the past 23 years since his ownership.  We're all happy the team seems finally to be on the right track but defending him after the past 23 years just does not add up . . .  at all.

Why Jets’ Christopher Johnson wished he hired Joe Douglas sooner - nj.com

Based on what he’s seen from Douglas so far, Jets CEO and acting owner Christopher Johnson has no doubt the Jets made the right move in replacing former GM Mike Maccagnan.

“I (said) at the time, and I want to avoid embarrassment for Mike and others, but there’s no question that I feel in better hands in terms of putting together a roster with Joe," Johnson said. "I have so much confidence in him. Do I wish I had had made that change earlier? Absolutely.”

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I'm still going with "He's better than the previous owner."

On the field, both owners enjoyed roughly the same amount of success (or lack-thereof) in terms of playoff appearances and AFCCG appearances.

Off the field, both failed to build a home in New York. 

Hess was a captain of industry and self made man - a true American success story.

Woody is dolt. He inherited his money and never worked a hard day in his life. 

And because of this, Leon Hess was the worse of the two. Much more should have been expected of him. Really no excuse for how Hess ran the team from 77-97.

23 hours ago, bicketybam said:

I wish they could bring Leon Hess back from the dead to remind everyone what a truly terrible owner is.

Who could ever forget his team inspiring Thanksgiving speech on 11/23/1995 when he riled up the troops by declaring, "Let’s go out with dignity and show ’em we’re not horses’ asses." The Jets went on to win that week while finishing 3-13 for the season.

Who remembers Hess not even having a GM for a good number of years? And he was the guy that moved the Jets to GIANTS Stadium in NJ.

Say what you want about Woody but he miles better than old man Hess was.

There wouldn’t be a NY Jets or an AFL and merger without Leon Hess.   When Hess and his partners started the Titans there was high risk of failure.   Woody is a partner in a monopoly that guys like Hess actually created with great personal risk.

The old Giant stadium is still the best stadium the Jets ever played in.  You could actually see the game from any seat.  

Hess had the actual burden of building a fortune on his own and put part of that fortune at risk when he and his partners built the NY Jets from nothing.

• Upvote 1

There wouldn’t be a NY Jets or an AFL and merger without Leon Hess.   When Hess and his partners started the Titans there was high risk of failure.   Woody is a partner in a monopoly that guys like Hess actually created with great personal risk.
The old Giant stadium is still the best stadium the Jets ever played in.  You could actually see the game from any seat.  

Hess had the actual burden of building a fortune on his own and put part of that fortune at risk when he and his partners built the NY Jets from nothing.
Kudos to Leon! He still sucked ass as an owner. Maybe when Buffalo opens their new stadium the Jets can share it with them. They would actually be playing in NY.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:03 AM, Sammybighead said:

With all due respect, what the F are you talking about? JD and Saleh played it so cool yesterday saying they not worried and there's no deadline. Then idiot woody opens his mouth and says the exact opposite today. I'm anxious & we need to win. We've been waiting years for a playoff mandate and now it's the time he chooses to reveal it? This guy hasn't learned anything and needs to stop speaking. 

You made me think of this, lmao

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Look I am not a Woody hater, at all in fact I think for the most part he is just a dude trying to make it work and gets terrible advice both hired and by those around him. But every Since Joe has shown up he as consistently allowed Joe to restructure this FO, Team and power structure. Big thinks like GM/HC>owner dynamic but also little things like just stepping back and letting Joe do his job. 

Its amazing to read stuff like this. Its actually great. Yeah Woody you have what some would argue the biggest amount of time ever lettering your GM make all the big boy moves and now you have super stars drafted, a decently built and paid roster on the cusp of playoff and getting A freaking rodgers for a SB push. 

Its a great feeling right boss? lets keep it going. Dont screw it up now by trying anything. Just stick to that really important Owner duty of picking the team uniform on game day Joe entrusted you with. Like seriously. Love how Joe has made this steam function. .  .  

Also a weird comment by woody about fans wanting to kill him. I think this is him trying toi say he knows he has made mistakes but he really thought he was doing the rigth thing, but no one with any sense was around him or at least anyone that he was willing to actually listen to, but since Joe has joined the team he has seen that Joes approach is the right one and thankful to not be acting like an idiot anymore. Who want to do a White out week 1 right guys? whoo hoo go jets!!

woody2.png.dc7cd125426e2761bf6b532a304f58bb.pngwoody3.png.a06a0eb320a5e0985ecaf7f98a349af6.pngwoody.thumb.png.08b1d8acba37df029d71295fc71cc848.png

I understand all the love for Woody Johnson, but I don't quite feel the way you do.  From what I read, Joe Douglas and his staff wanted Carr as our QB, but Woody interfered and insisted on Rodgers.  While getting Rodgers is definitely a win in my eyes, I think that Carr might have been a bigger win.  Less money, younger, still a high quality QB, and giving up zero draft picks.  

The Jets have been big losers for the last decade plus, and Woody Johnson is a big reason why.  Yes, the staff and JD rallied around getting Rodgers after Woody made his decision, but Woody should have stayed the hell out of it.  He continues to think he knows more than he does.  In my mind, he is a dummy!  I know I am in the minority, but this is how I feel.

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2023 at 6:05 PM, Scott Dierking said:

He needs to hire someone that serves as a buffer between him and the GM on football decision.  Stay away from football operational decisions. 

If he wants to have his fingerprints in marketing, have at it.

What’s the point in owning the team then? Owners want to be involved. NFL Owners are businessmen on a different level, they didn’t get to where they were by not being involved. You can argue if they are good or bad all you want, but I just don’t think you’ll ever find an owner that wouldn’t want to be involved in helping build the team. 

• Upvote 1