If I were Joe Douglas, I would warn the Green Bay Packers.

Alka

10 hours ago, JiF said:

I dont really have a passionate take either way but I dont see why the deal would be off if it doesnt get done before the draft.  They're not getting 13, that's obvious, so do you really think whatever 2nd rounder they get from the Jets is going to make a difference this year?  Highly doubtful, at least not enough of impact to walk from the deal.  The motivation to move on is still there w/ or w/out an extra pick this year.

i think it does cause this years picks have to be better than next years

the Giants won one playoff game and have the 57th pick in rd 2. we better be better than that. a AFCCG loss and that the 61st pick. thats 18 pick difference with our 42nd and 43rd pick. thats a big difference between this years and next years 2nd rd pick.

• Upvote 1

The jets have tons of picks including number 13. There's no reason to get tunnel vision and panic. As much as I'd want Rodgers for a 2 year run, I'd be just as excited about getting Stroud or Levis if they fall or you can trade up. 

Levis checks every single physical box, is extremely tough, was accepted to numerous ivy league schools. He wasn't surrounded by the greatest talent or line this past year and he reminds me a lot of big Ben or Josh Allen. I personally think Stroud and Levis will be really good and I'd be doing everything to get one of them. 

Also getting Rodgers should in no way preclude Douglas from drafting a QB if he truly likes one , even if that means trading up. Missing on Wilson cannot stop you as an organization from still trying to identify a young franchise QB. 

IMHO because of Levis's toughness/ leadership and size he's the complete opposite archetype of Zach

13 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Cool, we don’t want him, now pay him his 60 million to sit

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Why wouldn't he just play? Jordan love isn't going anywhere. The Packers clearly have a more stable QB philosophy and are in no rush to play Love given the Rodgers situation....

The entire microwave instant gratification QB philosophy is bonkers 

7 hours ago, Alka said:

Could you please tell me a worse QB than Zach Wilson picked by the Jets in either the 1st or 2nd round of the draft?  I mean, Geno was better, Sam Darnold was better.  Pennington was much better, and I will tell you that Ken O'Brien was much better.  

At this point, I wish we had Sam Darnold back!!

Would you trade Sam Darnold straight up for Zach Wilson?  Because this team couldn't get rid of Sam fast enough, and I think he can run rings around Zach.  

Tell me I'm wrong!!  LOL

He was ranked like 47 out of all QB to play last season so no idea but all our QBs were like 45, 46, and 47 and there is only 32 teams.

I don't want sam back but I rather give Zach a chance to play and earn his way up as third stringer. With a reliable qb1 Rogers and whoever is number 2. 

But you are not wrong darbold is better haha

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alka said:

Could you please tell me a worse QB than Zach Wilson picked by the Jets in either the 1st or 2nd round of the draft?  I mean, Geno was better, Sam Darnold was better.  Pennington was much better, and I will tell you that Ken O'Brien was much better.  

At this point, I wish we had Sam Darnold back!!

Would you trade Sam Darnold straight up for Zach Wilson?  Because this team couldn't get rid of Sam fast enough, and I think he can run rings around Zach.  

Tell me I'm wrong!!  LOL

there are high school quarterbacks who are better than and who could have had a better performance than zach wilson last year

Why wouldn't he just play? Jordan love isn't going anywhere. The Packers clearly have a more stable QB philosophy and are in no rush to play Love given the Rodgers situation....

Personally i don’t give a damn what the Packers do with him. I am so sick of this whole drama and the thought of selling our future for possibly only two years of QB play, is so SOJ.

• Upvote 1

there is no way they sit a HOF QB just to see what Love is. they could give him the extension and wait a year to see Love. 

I’m good with that, better them then us. How many players will they have to cut to pay him to get under the cap. Then with a team made up of JAGS and one jewel what kind of season will it be.
They better hope there Oline can keep him upright for the season.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Exactly the opposite. Pack benefits from waiting and after the jets need him by June 17th at the latest to work with the offense. 

packers bluff of “well I guess you can have him on Memorial Day” is much more impactful than, “ok how are you going to explain that to Jordan loves agent?”  

can you imagine the daily press coverage of training camp if Zach Wilson is taking the reps with the ones and throwing pick 6’s ?

there is bad blood between Rodgers and the Packers, they don’t gaf if he likes it or not. 

I don’t think this will happen. I think it happens during the draft but the packers ace up their sleeve is woody wanting his shiny new toy. 

I agree that a memorial day offer is no offer at all. Let them deal with the mess they made for themselves with a $60M spoiled brat who would have a massive axe to grind.  I think they would end up releasing him for nothing at that point just so they can see what they have with Love.

Yes we end up with no QB but we have already missed our window to hit the ground running with Rogers and they will have missed their window to get anything back for him at all.  I believe he is poison on some level to begin with and this will just make that poison worse for them.  What's more they know it too.  They have been living it on some level for years.

As for the press coverage,... hey we tried but the Packers were simply too unreasonable to make a deal.  In the end we may even get him for nothing once they cut him and maybe we picked up our post-Rogers QB in the draft as a safety valve.  Carr was always going to be a cleaner option for us but that ship has long since sailed.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

I’m good with that, better them then us. How many players will they have to cut to pay him to get under the cap. Then with a team made up of JAGS and one jewel what kind of season will it be.
They better hope there Oline can keep him upright for the season.

well Loves extension cap hit of 20 mil wont happen till 2024. so this year there fine. that gives them another year to trade Rodgers if they want. and Rodgers said after the season he knew his contract was bad and he needed to restructure it to help GB out. even if he comes to us he needs to rework that contract

19 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Anyone who has that philosophy stopped being a Jets fan long ago.

Those of us that remain are the most patient fans in sport.

• Upvote 1

GB has the leverage and choices. JD either doesn't comprehend that or is being told to keep playing a losing hand. I can see GB keeping Rodgers as insurance. Love takes a hit to the knee and they have Rodgers to plug in. BTW, he looked like an absolute zombie on the field last season...sullen, low energy, hands constantly in the pockets even in mild weather, head down. glaring at the coaching staff. You want that here?... because that's what he will be.  

GB has the leverage and choices. JD either doesn't comprehend that or is being told to keep playing a losing hand. I can see GB keeping Rodgers as insurance. Love takes a hit to the knee and they have Rodgers to plug in. BTW, he looked like an absolute zombie on the field last season...sullen, low energy, hands constantly in the pockets even in mild weather, head down. glaring at the coaching staff. You want that here?... because that's what he will be.  
Green Bay has zero leverage

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Compared to the alternatives this late in the game? Yes. Yes I want him here desperately.

22 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Green Bay has zero leverage

Green Bay HAD zero leverage when all this began.  The actions of the New York Jets gave them lots of leverage.

The Jets have one option at QB for this year, Rodgers, that is it.  Rodgers has said it, the Jets have said it.  Oh I know people will start trotting out all of these fabled alternatives none of which are realistic.

If there was a book called painting yourself into a corner for dummies it would be written by the Jets current regime.

A trade will get done, both teams need each other badly but we are going to pay more than we should have.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Green Bay HAD zero leverage when all this began.  The actions of the New York Jets gave them lots of leverage.
The Jets have one option at QB for this year, Rodgers, that is it.  Rodgers has said it, the Jets have said it.  Oh I know people will start trotting out all of these fabled alternatives none of which are realistic.
If there was a book called painting yourself into a corner for dummies it would be written by the Jets current regime.
A trade will get done, both teams need each other badly but we are going to pay more than we should have.
Disagree .. Green Bay will lose this staring contest.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Disagree .. Green Bay will lose this staring contest.

If they have no leverage at all and the jets have it all there is no staring contest the packers would settle for what they can get and be happy.

That is not happening.

If they have no leverage the the comp will be a 4th round pick this year and maybe a 3rd next year.  I'm betting it is more than that, because they do have leverage, their leverage is the jets desperation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Desperation moves are rarely a good thing. We have had a plan to build thru the draft with wise FA signings. This AR trade is anything but that. Time to move on.

Right. So let the core run out their rookie deals without having competent QB play.

Terrible plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If they have no leverage at all and the jets have it all there is no staring contest the packers would settle for what they can get and be happy.
That is not happening.
If they have no leverage the the comp will be a 4th round pick this year and maybe a 3rd next year.  I'm betting it is more than that, because they do have leverage, their leverage is the jets desperation.
Fair ... Maybe NO leverage was a bad assessment .. they have much less leverage ... The deal will be a second this year and a conditional 3rd next year, or no picks this year and take what they can get after the draft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Pay the ones who deserve it, cut the ones that don't and draft new ones. Desperation is the most terrible plan of all..  

Your “plan” shows an utter contempt for or willful ignorance of reality and fails to grasp JD and Saleh’s individual incentive to self-preserve here.

There was 0% chance to keep slow-playing team development with QB draft lotto tickets unless Woody extended JD and Saleh. Didn’t happen. The boss has spoken. 

On 4/13/2023 at 9:57 AM, Alka said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the fact still remains that when the draft begins, the Jets have the option of doing whatever they think will be in the best interest of the organization. If they love a QB at #13, or in the 2nd round, then that would be making a statement.  Now, I know most fans would hate this idea of drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2, since that QB must be developed for the future.  But what if no QB is picked in the draft, and we trade for Rodgers?  The Jets would still need a QB for the future to develop, no? There is no guarantee that Rodgers won't retire after this year.  There is no guarantee that the Jets will even get to the playoffs with Rodgers.  

I think it all comes down to "what prospects do the Jets love when they are on the clock?"  If they have the best player available at QB, and no Rodgers deal is in place, Should they take him?  That would be my question.

Zach Wilson IS that developmental QB. 

• Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Zach Wilson IS that developmental QB. 

Zach wasn't just bad last year, he was historically bad.  I wonder if he can be salvaged?  That would be a nice trick.  

Even though I didn't like the Jets picking Zach at #2, I supported him once he became a Jet.  

Funny, but I saw a draft do-over from that year, and of the 32 teams, Zach Wilson wasn't even picked anywhere in the top 32.

Is it any wonder?  The surprise would have been if he was good enough to be picked.  And theoretically speaking, where would you have now picked Zach Wilson in that draft?  Certainly not in the top 5 rounds.  

If he is that developmental QB, he would have been a 6th or 7th round pick developmental pick if the draft would have happened today.

• Upvote 1