The Annual, who do you NOT want the Jets to draft......

Beerfish

Will Levis. It'd be fine, but I think the range of positive outcomes for Skoronski on the Jets would be too narrow to justify taking him at 13 - think he'll be a good player but the team fit is off. Nolan Smith is the guy I'd think was way too risky of a pick at the time and eventually try to talk myself in later - at least a big part of the concerns there are medical.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Quinten Johnson in the first round

Anything that starts with Tight End from....

I really wanted to like Johnston and he'd frighten me even in the second. I guess best case there's Christian Watson overlap. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, derp said:

I really wanted to like Johnston and he'd frighten me even in the second. I guess best case there's Christian Watson overlap. 

I liked Watson to an extent because his athletic profile was ridiculously good.  You just had to have him learn route stems and be more consistent at the catch point.  He was also very agile for his size.   Last year when Moore had his trade request (Watson was just coming back from injury), I remember proposing a Moore for Watson deal only to get laughed at here, lol.  

I'm a sucker for size/speed guys, but something about Johnson reminds me more of Kevin White.  Just flat out dominant because the speed allowed them to run free underneath.  I'm just not sure he translates well to the NFL.  I can somewhat talk myself into him in the second because then you're just hoping that one of the coaches can unlock something, but yeah, even then it would be a risk.  

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I liked Watson to an extent because his athletic profile was ridiculously good.  You just had to have him learn route stems and be more consistent at the catch point.  He was also very agile for his size.   Last year when Moore had his trade request (Watson was just coming back from injury), I remember proposing a Moore for Watson deal only to get laughed at here, lol.  

I'm a sucker for size/speed guys, but something about Johnson reminds me more of Kevin White.  Just flat out dominant because the speed allowed them to run free underneath.  I'm just not sure he translates well to the NFL.  I can somewhat talk myself into him in the second because then you're just hoping that one of the coaches can unlock something, but yeah, even then it would be a risk.  

I think the overlap to me is that they're both very talented after the catch for being tall receivers but don't have awesome hands. Kind of want them to be perimeter ball winners at 6'4 but it's not really where they stand out. Johnston's physical  profile isn't as good as Watson's was, but it still flashes explosiveness and pretty good long speed for a bigger receiver and he is younger coming out. Needs to go somewhere they'll use that YAC skill and try to develop the technical stuff to do everything else.

Just now, BurntDice said:

Trading down and picking jms in the first or even worse at 13. The depth of center is pretty deep this year and no reason to take him that high 

I'd prefer Tippmann, not a huge fan of either in the first though. Pick 42/43 is fine. Bring in Jones or back McGovern if that doesn't work.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I'd prefer Tippmann, not a huge fan of either in the first though. Pick 42/43 is fine. Bring in Jones or back McGovern if that doesn't work.

I’m 100% on board with Jones. Packers fans say Rodgers far prefers a vet center. I like a bunch of the round 2-4 centers. 

Tippman is the one who kind of concerns me just because of how tall he is and may have issues with leverage 

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I’m 100% on board with Jones. Packers fans say Rodgers far prefers a vet center. I like a bunch of the round 2-4 centers. 

Tippman is the one who kind of concerns me just because of how tall he is and may have issues with leverage 

He is tall but I’ve seen him talk about constantly working to be able to maintain leverage. Wisconsin does a good job with their OL obviously and I think he’s the most talented of the bunch. Moves really well. A good bit younger than JMS too.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, derp said:

He is tall but I’ve seen him talk about constantly working to be able to maintain leverage. Wisconsin does a good job with their OL obviously and I think he’s the most talented of the bunch. Moves really well. A good bit younger than JMS too.

I may be off base, but I view him and Dickerson very similar. The eagles play Dickerson at guard so he doesn’t have to snap then get into a stance, which may be more challenging for someone so tall. 

he’s definitely very talented though 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I may be off base, but I view him and Dickerson very similar. The eagles play Dickerson at guard so he doesn’t have to snap then get into a stance, which may be more challenging for someone so tall. 

he’s definitely very talented though 

Dickerson's a much heavier dude who had all kinds of lower leg injuries. Think it's different. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

I liked Watson to an extent because his athletic profile was ridiculously good.  You just had to have him learn route stems and be more consistent at the catch point. 

For every Watson there are several Mims.

I agree with you that these guys are worth a stab just not in round 1.

7 hours ago, derp said:

I think the overlap to me is that they're both very talented after the catch for being tall receivers but don't have awesome hands. Kind of want them to be perimeter ball winners at 6'4 but it's not really where they stand out. Johnston's physical  profile isn't as good as Watson's was, but it still flashes explosiveness and pretty good long speed for a bigger receiver and he is younger coming out. Needs to go somewhere they'll use that YAC skill and try to develop the technical stuff to do everything else.

Yeah, I mean he definitely has potential, but the risk is sky high to be a first round pick.  The other guy that I thought he reminded me of was Laviska Shenault in college, where the route trees didn't matter and mostly everything was about YAC and rushing. 

One thing that bothers me about looking at him, and it really reminds me of Stephen Hill, is this little hop thing he does at the catch point.  On a bunch of balls that are well within his frame, he does a hop at the catch point.  In college, he's fast enough to land, and then switch directions.  In the NFL, he's going to get tackled with those hops.  Hill used to do the same thing at times, where he was a body catcher and needed to align the ball to his chest for some reason.   Now, Johnston is much better YAC guy than Hill ever was, but that little hop at the catch point bothers me.  It's slowing down his transition from catcher to runner.  Right now, he's doing a lot of hopping, and then just switching directions at the base, getting by defenders.  If he keeps hopping, he's going to get tackled more, reducing his YAC contributions. 

Oddly, I think he'll be better in the slot somewhere than a true X like his size suggests.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jgb said:

For every Watson there are several Mims.

I agree with you that these guys are worth a stab just not in round 1.

Yeah, I'll take physical freaks outside the first all the time because I want guys that have rare traits but need to be coached up.  I have a bunch of guys rated ahead of him though, just not sure I understand the hype.  I could be wrong lol.  

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

Why not?

I’ve never seen a high end LT prospect get beat as often as he does. The guys anchor is eh. Feet just stop moving at times. Wide hands leas to a weak punch. His tape compared to Darnell Wright’s or Anton Harrison’s is lacking. 

I just can’t justify a player with mediocre grip strength, power, and technique at 13 when there’s better on the board. I understand drafting for potential but Paris Johnson Jr looks like a liability if he has to play this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I’ve never seen a high end LT prospect get beat as often as he does. The guys anchor is eh. Feet just stop moving at times. Wide hands leas to a weak punch. His tape compared to Darnell Wright’s or Anton Harrison’s is lacking. 

I just can’t justify a player with mediocre grip strength, power, and technique at 13 when there’s better on the board. I understand drafting for potential but Paris Johnson Jr looks like a liability if he has to play this year.

Not a reason to draft Johnston but do we think any of the tackles in this class are a safe bet to win a job over healthy Brown or Becton? If not, how confident that one of these guys as a rookie would be a better option than AVT at tackle and Schweitzer filling in for him?

I absolutely get the need for depth and for a projected starter next season. That being the case, I think they they had Anton Harrison in for a 30 visit too. For the need they’re drafting to fill - tackle depth that will have an opportunity to compete for a starting spot in 2023 but really be projected to start at LT in 2024 - I think Harrison fits just fine. 

I understand there’s a drop off after the Jets pick - that being the case they might be able to get something good if a team wants to come up. And they’re going to be giving up capital for Rodgers. I’d kind of think moving down and getting Harrison + capital would be appealing when compared to one of the consensus top four tackles.

Douglas has never really moved down though. I’d think it’s more likely he moves up for Harrison if he somehow feels compelled to go in a different direction at 13. But interesting they had him in too. Makes me moderately hopeful they’re being open minded there.

Such a boring draft class that the list is pretty long actually.

Only WR I'd take in the first round is Jordan Addision.  I could dig a trade back Zay Flowers grab but otherwise, I dont see the players worth 1st round at WR.

Lukas Van Ness - 17 reps for a dude that's going to be fighting T's his entire career?  Scary.

And I'll be honest, I'm not excited by any of the T prospects and would like them to add a more dynamic player at 13.s.  They all have red flags, IMO

Branch running a 4.6 and expected to guard the slot at the next level is also scary but why do I feel like he's going to be the pick? 

• Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why not JSN?

Maybe some recency bias but missing an entire season and going in the first round, seems like an unnecessary risk for a team that absolutely has to hit on this pick.  No room for error when you're giving up assets for a 1 year rental at QB.  

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

There is some truth to this. Jetsxfactor reviewed the analytics of the OT prospects and Johnson didn't do well:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/22/ny-jets-rank-ot-nfl-draft-stats/