The Annual, who do you NOT want the Jets to draft......

Beerfish

3 hours ago, derp said:

Not a reason to draft Johnston but do we think any of the tackles in this class are a safe bet to win a job over healthy Brown or Becton? If not, how confident that one of these guys as a rookie would be a better option than AVT at tackle and Schweitzer filling in for him?

I absolutely get the need for depth and for a projected starter next season. That being the case, I think they they had Anton Harrison in for a 30 visit too. For the need they’re drafting to fill - tackle depth that will have an opportunity to compete for a starting spot in 2023 but really be projected to start at LT in 2024 - I think Harrison fits just fine. 

I understand there’s a drop off after the Jets pick - that being the case they might be able to get something good if a team wants to come up. And they’re going to be giving up capital for Rodgers. I’d kind of think moving down and getting Harrison + capital would be appealing when compared to one of the consensus top four tackles.

Douglas has never really moved down though. I’d think it’s more likely he moves up for Harrison if he somehow feels compelled to go in a different direction at 13. But interesting they had him in too. Makes me moderately hopeful they’re being open minded there.

Going slightly off-topic here, but I agree with your analysis of the options at 13. That being said, I think I might prefer giving up 13 in this year's draft for Rodgers than next year's number 1 in what should be a very good QB class. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Going slightly off-topic here, but I agree with your analysis of the options at 13. That being said, I think I might prefer giving up 13 in this year's draft for Rodgers than next year's number 1 in what should be a very good QB class. 

Depends what kind of conditions they're able to put on a pick, right? If it's dependent on a Super Bowl, the 13th pick this year is way more valuable than the 31st or 32nd pick next year.

Right now, the 13th pick is the most valuable asset they have. It's also frankly way more than they should have to give up for Rodgers. I wouldn't love Rodgers and 13 for 45 but maybe something like that is okay.

Also depends if the 13th pick is definitively a stick and pick scenario. Maybe if they hold on to it they can trade down and pick up 2024 capital and position themselves in the 2024 class.

It's a tough balancing act though because presumably this is a win now team if they acquire Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I agree with this.  I dont want to give up an 1st for rodgers but gun to my head I have to give up one of them id rather 13.  Next year is really when we have to look at the possibility of drafting a new QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe some recency bias but missing an entire season and going in the first round, seems like an unnecessary risk for a team that absolutely has to hit on this pick.  No room for error when you're giving up assets for a 1 year rental at QB.  

See, I sort of get that... And yet I feel like had he played the 2022 season we'd have no shot at him and that's why he's a steal at 13. I think JSN and Garrett Wilson (who are obviously buds) would be a lethal WR duo.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

See, I sort of get that... And yet I feel like had he played the 2022 season we'd have no shot at him and that's why he's a steal at 13. I think JSN and Garrett Wilson (who are obviously buds) would be a lethal WR duo.

Assuming the medical comes back clean (and I don’t know why it wouldn’t) he just seems so likely to be a useful player. As has been discussed here they coach their WR’s really well, JSN has the physical tools to separate, he’s shown it in college, and there’s not a clear big negative physical trait to offset it. Think he’s one of the safer picks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I wouldnt hate it., I guess.  Just scares me a little. 

9 minutes ago, derp said:

Injury or not having the extra year of production/scouting? Not pressing, genuinely curious.

Both.  And that one year was like just a burst of 5 or 6 games.  Idk.  Very little to go off.  It's not like Olave or Wilson where you had 3 years to either say, yeah, look at Wilson develop and ascend as he's being drafted, and Olave just showing you consistently what he can do year over year.  idk. like I said, it could be recency bias as well.  I just feel the most comfortable w/ is Addison who has a lot of tape on him getting open. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Both.  And that one year was like just a burst of 5 or 6 games.  Idk.  Very little to go off.  It's not like Olave or Wilson where you had 3 years to either say, yeah, look at Wilson develop and ascend as he's being drafted, and Olave just showing you consistently what he can do year over year.  idk. like I said, it could be recency bias as well.  I just feel the most comfortable w/ is Addison who has a lot of tape on him getting open. 

Fair enough. So wonky to me that Addison regressed statistically so much at USC with Caleb Williams throwing to him - not that Pickett was a huge slouch.

I will say I don't think a burst of 5 or 6 games is fair. He was over 90 yards in 10/13 games and 9 of the last 10.

And his worst three games were the opener and blowout wins against Akron and Rutgers - better than padding stats in those kinds of games. Five biggest games included their two losses, their closest win, and one of the two tied for their second closest win as well.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Fair enough. So wonky to me that Addison regressed statistically so much at USC with Caleb Williams throwing to him - not that Pickett was a huge slouch.

I will say I don't think a burst of 5 or 6 games is fair. He was over 90 yards in 10/13 games and 9 of the last 10.

And his worst three games were the opener and blowout wins against Akron and Rutgers - better than padding stats in those kinds of games. Five biggest games included their two losses, their closest win, and one of the two tied for their second closest win as well.

Did he regress or did the offense at USC just spread the ball around more?  He still led the team in receptions, yards and TD's.

The 5 or 6 game burst made him have a ridiculous year but yes, he was consistent otherwise.  Again, I'm fully aware there is some recency bias here but I also just havent seen enough to feel comfortable taking him at 13.  Addison is probably a reach but he's just the one that I think has the highest probability to hit. 

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I'd be good with JSN mostly because there aren't a whole lot of great WRs in this draft from what I can see and we just yeeted our slot guy and it seems like JSN would excel there. I'd throw in that the athletic measureables at least for agility are elite for him. We still lack the size guy though, which kind of blows but if we have a competent QB I can live with it.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did he regress or did the offense at USC just spread the ball around more?  He still led the team in receptions, yards and TD's.

The 5 or 6 game burst made him have a ridiculous year but yes, he was consistent otherwise.  Again, I'm fully aware there is some recency bias here but I also just havent seen enough to feel comfortable taking him at 13.  Addison is probably a reach but he's just the one that I think has the highest probability to hit. 

Obviously they spread the ball around more. I think it's generally better to see guys force offenses to get the ball in their hands. Best excuse for that is usually playing with other high end skill talent and that wasn't the case at USC the way it was for the OSU guys the last few years or LSU guys back when they had Beckham and Landry for example.

Offenses had pretty much the same passing game production (Pitt 2021, USC 2022), the rest of the USC skill talent wasn't that special, and his stats were like 60% of what they were the prior year.

New school and stuff too, and you can't throw the ball for the quarterback, but I think it's a big enough blip to warrant digging into a little.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You don't have any concerns about Addion's speed? I know his tape is great but he's pretty slow for a small guy.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You don't have any concerns about Addion's speed? I know his tape is great but he's pretty slow for a small guy.

A little but I feel like he plays fast and gets separation rather easily, again, I think he's a reach at 13, just the only one I'd be comfortable w/ and confident would hit. 

• Upvote 1

Any of the OTs. Just not impressed and feel they are being pushed up because people need OL so bad. I think we can get by at T. Mekhi essentially lost 2 seasons to same injury, he seems motivated, and in better shape. Brown should be healthier. Mitchell and even AVT can play there as well. Maybe we sign healed up Fant after the draft.

I think this is one of the more unpredictable draft but it seems like JSN has a good chance to be there at 13 and the value lines up well. If we are going to do the Rodgers moon shot year, get him as many playmakers as possible. 

I think with Saleh though we are going to pick one of the DTs. Again.

Someone posted that we are the worst drafting team in last 20 years. You can't discount the fact that outside of Gase all of our coaches are very offense conservative guys that want defense in the draft. Look at how excited Saleh was for Sauce and JJ and how reserved he was with Garret.  Outside of maybe the Top guy each year I am not a big fan of DT in first round. EDGE, corner, T WR those should really be the targets each year. They are the guys that are game changers, Of all the first round DTs we have taken really only Quinnen last year made a true game changing impact. Leo, Wilkerson, Richardson were solid but not game changing DTs.

Polian says get guys that are going to handle the ball or take the ball away in the first round.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Any of the OTs. Just not impressed and feel they are being pushed up because people need OL so bad. I think we can get by at T. Mekhi essentially lost 2 seasons to same injury, he seems motivated, and in better shape. Brown should be healthier. Mitchell and even AVT can play there as well. Maybe we sign healed up Fant after the draft.

I think this is one of the more unpredictable draft but it seems like JSN has a good chance to be there at 13 and the value lines up well. If we are going to do the Rodgers moon shot year, get him as many playmakers as possible. 

I think with Saleh though we are going to pick one of the DTs. Again.

Someone posted that we are the worst drafting team in last 20 years. You can't discount the fact that outside of Gase all of our coaches are very offense conservative guys that want defense in the draft. Look at how excited Saleh was for Sauce and JJ and how reserved he was with Garret.  Outside of maybe the Top guy each year I am not a big fan of DT in first round. EDGE, corner, T WR those should really be the targets each year. They are the guys that are game changers, Of all the first round DTs we have taken really only Quinnen last year made a true game changing impact. Leo, Wilkerson, Richardson were solid but not game changing DTs.

Polian says get guys that are going to handle the ball or take the ball away in the first round.

Saw that too on Saleh. Ecstatic on the D draft picks. Neutral on the O picks. Bad sign. You aren’t a D coordinator anymore, bud. Even trading up for JJ last year was like wtf, why did the jets do that?

Doesn’t feel like that type of draft. Almost feels like the brick year, an obvious pick.  Of the guys with a first round grade that I think will be available, it will probably come down to Jones/ Kancy. I would prefer Jones but if they take Kancy it could just mean that they have an understanding with Fant. 

push come to shove, my 

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Would be JSN.