Joe Douglas IS a Good GM

On 4/18/2023 at 9:41 PM, freestater said:

Oooo. Exemplary. 

Clowns like you would have been happier if the Jets had kept Jamaal adams, signed some washed up vets, traded away picks for more aging vets and got 8-9 the last few years instead of building a team that is now one of the top 6 teams favored to win the super bowl. 

There is a reason they don't hire Vinny from Yonkers to run NFL teams...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:39 PM, freestater said:

What's his record so far?

On 4/18/2023 at 9:40 PM, Warfish said:

20-46

On 4/18/2023 at 9:41 PM, freestater said:

Oooo. Exemplary. 

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Clowns like you would have been happier if the Jets had kept Jamaal adams, signed some washed up vets, traded away picks for more aging vets and got 8-9 the last few years instead of building a team that is now one of the top 6 teams favored to win the super bowl. 

You're right.  20-46 is really really good. @Warfish and @freestater are funny.  Funny how? Like a clown? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ok Homer.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

All I can do is make a compelling argument. I told my   ** children **   growing up that people evaluate you on your appearance, conduct & eloquence... for jobs, dating, friendships etc.

Habits carry over into other areas of your like. If your salty at work, you're most likely salty at home. If you're salty at home your wife and  ** children **   become salty. Being courteous on a message board probably means your courteous in all aspects of your life. 

**  fixed  **   ^^

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not me.  I put on knee pads and licked Joe D's ass when he drafted Becton and Zach back to back.   

I also was jumping for pure joy when we hired a head coach who was all gas and no brakes.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, jtomm said:

work_totally_sucks_images_part_6_34.gif

..more  appropriate  ? 

They actually were young men at the time....16 or so. Children wouldn't necessarily understand the complexities of this world we live in.

We kept it simple when they were young.

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don’t hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. Clean up your own mess.
6. Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
7. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life — learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup — they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned — the biggest word of all — LOOK.

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten, Pre-Owned (Paperback)

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

They actually were young men at the time....16 or so. Children wouldn't necessarily understand the complexities of this world we live in.

We kept it simple when they were young.

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don’t hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. Clean up your own mess.
6. Don’t take things that aren’t yours.
7. Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life — learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup — they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned — the biggest word of all — LOOK.

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten, Pre-Owned (Paperback)

smug-daniel-craig.gif

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The Oline has been below average for his tenure as well. He’s had 1 good above average  draft.  His record speaks volumes as well as his performing picks.  He’s not terrible but  this ball washing is Jet Kool aid

But is it though?  This is the most excited I've been in my whole life about a Jets team, and I know I'm not alone there.  Going back to the Vinny T days for me.  Or are we supposed to, no matter how good things are, always look back at that Zach pick like "yeah.....but he did this"?  I guess you could do that.  You could also say "wow this guy missed on a 2nd overall QB and still built a team this good".  Tomato Tomotto.   

If this Jets team even MAKES it to a SB these next two years, I think that would qualify JD as a good GM.  I guess time will tell.  At the end of the day these guys have to get it done, but he's put the pieces in place.  We're a legitimate SB contender on paper.  It's been a long time since we could even say that.  

34 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

But is it though?  This is the most excited I've been in my whole life about a Jets team, and I know I'm not alone there.  Going back to the Vinny T days for me.  Or are we supposed to, no matter how good things are, always look back at that Zach pick like "yeah.....but he did this"?  I guess you could do that.  You could also say "wow this guy missed on a 2nd overall QB and still built a team this good".  Tomato Tomotto.   

If this Jets team even MAKES it to a SB these next two years, I think that would qualify JD as a good GM.  I guess time will tell.  At the end of the day these guys have to get it done, but he's put the pieces in place.  We're a legitimate SB contender on paper.  It's been a long time since we could even say that.  

He is far below 500, has had one good draft, 1 that qualifies as a BUST.  Woody demanding we sign Aaron  does not make him a good/above average GM.  This years draft will be the judge.  The fact that fans are excited is not a measuring stick, it's not tangible.  How excited would you be without Aaron???  Drafting is the GM's most important job and he has more misses than I would care to talk about but, in his defense, he's better than any GM we've had since I can remember and that includes the Tuna, Tanny etc.

9 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I’ll wait for them to play 5 or 6 games before putting them in the Super Bowl conversation, but that’s just me.

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He is far below 500, has had one good draft, 1 that qualifies as a BUST.  Woody demanding we sign Aaron  does not make him a good/above average GM.  This years draft will be the judge.  The fact that fans are excited is not a measuring stick, it's not tangible.  How excited would you be without Aaron???  Drafting is the GM's most important job and he has more misses than I would care to talk about but, in his defense, he's better than any GM we've had since I can remember and that includes the Tuna, Tanny etc.

Is this a serious post or just trolling?

You think we have more misses than hits with Joe at the helm? You have seen the roster right? Us play last year?  He is not only better than GMs we have seen but he's better than most other teams gm too!

On 5/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, HighPitch said:

The win loss record is fair but also to be fair he arrived at a terrible time and losses were inevitable

i see 20/14 the next two years at a minimum so factor that in

Let’s wait before we factor in your 20 wins thing.

You’ve heard about counting your chickens before they hatch, no?

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You think we have more misses than hits with Joe at the helm? You have seen the roster right? Us play last year?  He is not only better than GMs we have seen but he's better than most other teams gm too!

Uh, not really. But enjoy your kool aid.

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I couldn't really tell. My bad bud. I'm not drinking Kool aid by stating Joe has done an incredible job. Just calling like I see em.

We could go through his W/L record and grade his drafts, good and bad. But this year will be the one that tells the tale.

He’s gone all in here on a two year gamble. Let’s see how it plays out before you anoint him, because if they don’t pull off a really good season in ‘23, this place is going to be lit when guys realize we have a 40yo QB in a cave debating whether to return and no 1st round pick in the draft.

• Upvote 2

And just to be clear, I’m not saying JD should be fired, in fact I’d be looking to offer him an extension. He’s been a competent middle of the pack GM who hopefully continues to grow in the job.

I won’t blame him if the Rodgers thing doesn’t work, I appreciate the fact that he knew we had to move on from Zach, and the idea of going all in for 2 years with AR is kinda exciting and worth a shot.

I just think it’s nuts to proclaim him as some genius GM when he hasn’t accomplished anything, and just allowed himself to get played in the trade for the guy he needed to get to save his job by another GM who had “no leverage.”

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I measure success literally not emotionally.  An above average GM with record of 7-9, 2-14, 4-13 7-10.  Got it.

I didn't grow up in the era of participation trophies and mom's screaming "Good job Buddy" to their kids after striking out. 

Me?  It's across the goal line or it is not.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, bonkertons said:

"If the team can make it to a Superbowl, it would qualify him as a good GM..."

??

That's like some asking you if you're rich and you say, "Well if I had a ton of money, I'd definitely be rich"... Yes, clearly if the team team got to the superbowl for the 2nd time in its existence, we'd probably be pretty content with JD as GM. 

Douglas was completely inept this offseason. If this team is anything short of a top 5 team, he should absolutely be gone. I've done nothing but defend him since he got here because I could rationalize the good he's done out weighing the huge misses. But, this offseason looks like a complete disaster. If this team falls short, it's on him and the horrible moves he's made (and not made) this offseason. 

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Wait do you think we're only a contender because we brought in Rodgers?  Like the rest of our roster could be sh*t, but as long as Rodgers was here we'd still have the same expectations?  I don't think it works that way man.  It was pretty universally agreed that the Jets are a playoff team with a decent QB.  The rest of the roster is that strong - the roster JD built, essentially.  Also not sure why you're listing Rodgers as some kind of prize he won and not a guy he went out and obtained - something GMs do.  Whether it was Woody demanding it or not, does it really matter?  

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

"If the team can make it to a Superbowl, it would qualify him as a good GM..."

??

That's like some asking you if you're rich and you say, "Well if I had a ton of money, I'd definitely be rich"... Yes, clearly if the team team got to the superbowl for the 2nd time in its existence, we'd probably be pretty content with JD as GM. 

Douglas was completely inept this offseason. If this team is anything short of a top 5 team, he should absolutely be gone. I've done nothing but defend him since he got here because I could rationalize the good he's done out weighing the huge misses. But, this offseason looks like a complete disaster. If this team falls short, it's on him and the horrible moves he's made (and not made) this offseason. 

ugh....a "huge" disaster?  Can you go into at least some detail over what's been a disaster, or is it 100% based on the McDonald pick(which is what I'm assuming this is about)?