Islander Playoff Game 2

I think in my about 40 years of watching hockey, this is the first time I ever saw one team go on 6 power plays and the other not get even 1. There were 2 obvious penalties the refs missed against the Hurricanes. One was in the first period that was a hooking penalty  that would have resulted in a goal for the Islanders and the other was a high stick in OT. Credit to the Islanders. Even with this rediculous officiating, they still almost won this game. Will be really interesting to see how they officiating is at UBS. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I think in my about 40 years of watching hockey, this is the first time I ever saw one team go on 6 power plays and the other not get even 1. There were 2 obvious penalties the refs missed against the Hurricanes. One was in the first period that was a hooking penalty  that would have resulted in a goal for the Islanders and the other was a high stick in OT. Credit to the Islanders. Even with this rediculous officiating, they still almost won this game. Will be really interesting to see how they officiating is at UBS. 

Blantant non call in OT, but besides that call I didn’t see much they could complain about. I missed the 1st period so didn’t see the “hooking”. I’m rooting for the islanders would love to see rangers islanders next round. But as good as they played it still didn’t look nearly enough to beat Carolina 

3 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Blantant non call in OT, but besides that call I didn’t see much they could complain about. I missed the 1st period so didn’t see the “hooking”. I’m rooting for the islanders would love to see rangers islanders next round. But as good as they played it still didn’t look nearly enough to beat Carolina 

Carolina is the better team but the Islanders last night I felt matched there intensity  unlike game 1. They could steal this series. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Complaining over non penalty calls in a hockey playoffs is par for the course.  Happens all the time

It happens every game but this was rediculous. I understand the refs swallow the whistle  in the third unless it is something blatant but the hook in the first period prevented an Islander goal. The guy literally had half the net open in front of him and couldn't get to the puck. The hook was so bad the player was bent at the waist. Also the high stick in OT was as bad a non-call as I ever saw. Not saying the Islanders win had they gotten the calls, Carolina is a very good penalty killing team but call the game evenly. 

I hate to blame refs, because no matter what happens, you still need to execute. You're in the playoffs to be champs, and champs overcome even bad reffing. That said, last night was absolutely ridiculous. Never seen anything like it (outside of the NFL/NBA). Isles had opportunities to win and should have, but it's a blow out in their favor if called correctly last night.

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I’m a Rangers fan I’ve seen this a thousand times.

Your not wrong the missed calls were BS.

This sh*t happens all the time though.

• Upvote 1

The non-call in OT was frustrating.  That high stick is almost certainly called in regulation.  And similar were called against us during the game.  But that happens in OT, whistles get put away..  And still, we had a lead in the 3rd period and couldn't protect it.  We should have closed that game out without needing to go to OT.   

Great play by Slavin on the tying goal, but Sorokin just cannot give that up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Complaining over non penalty calls in a hockey playoffs is par for the course.  Happens all the time.

FYP, lol.  

In any sports with officiating, someone will complain it's being miscalled and called with bias.  Every time.

Edited by Warfish
  • Upvote 1

The officiating in hockey is horrendous and a 6-0 differential on penalties is insane...but the Isles played undisciplined hockey last night. However they looked like a different team compared to Monday so it will be interesting to see what they do at home. For the OT non-call the rule doesn't state there is an exception for it but it's pretty clear the non-call was due to lifting the stick - like others said, they're just not going to make that call in the playoffs.

But this notion that I've seen elsewhere that the NHL for some reason wants Carolina to beat the Isles is laughable. There is no conspiracy, the officiating in the NHL just blows.

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

The non-call in OT was frustrating.  That high stick is almost certainly called in regulation.  And similar were called against us during the game.  But that happens in OT, whistles get put away..  And still, we had a lead in the 3rd period and couldn't protect it.  We should have closed that game out without needing to go to OT.   

Great play by Slavin on the tying goal, but Sorokin just cannot give that up.

The really bad one Sorokin gave up was the second goal. I can't  believe that went in. I can live with the third one. Not a game tying goal mind you but at least it was a good shot. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The really bad one Sorokin gave up was the second goal. I can't  believe that went in. I can live with the third one. Not a game tying goal mind you but at least it was a good shot. 

Second goal I saw as more of a fluky, sh*t happens type of goal.  3rd goal was a great play by Slavin, but a goalie should never allow a shot from below the goal line.  Either way it sucks to lose the way we did last night.

4 hours ago, AVM said:

The officiating in hockey is horrendous and a 6-0 differential on penalties is insane...but the Isles played undisciplined hockey last night. However they looked like a different team compared to Monday so it will be interesting to see what they do at home. For the OT non-call the rule doesn't state there is an exception for it but it's pretty clear the non-call was due to lifting the stick - like others said, they're just not going to make that call in the playoffs.

But this notion that I've seen elsewhere that the NHL for some reason wants Carolina to beat the Isles is laughable. There is no conspiracy, the officiating in the NHL just blows.

Hockey is the best sport hands down.  Not having love for the NHL itself I get but the sport is beautiful.

• Upvote 1