Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People are acting like Rodgers isn't going to be 40, coming off his worst year as a pro, showing real decline and this is almost certain to be a one year deal.

i get that no one really knows what aaron rodgers will do after this year, but who do you think has a better idea of his intentions:  posters on a message board who've never met him, or people who actually took the time to talk with him, including someone he thinks very highly of (even if said message board posters think he's the worst OC choice ever)?

not sure why you think it is almost certain to be a 1-year deal, and yes, i know he made some comment on that silly show.  i grant it COULD be only 1 year, in which case the deal is definitely worse unless the jets make the SB.  but to say it is almost certainly a 1-year deal is really just you making something up based on absolutely nothing other than your own self-confidence that you are right.  i'm guessing JD, saleh and hackett have better insight into rodgers' plans.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A 1st next year is valued as the last pick in round 1 of the current year. So that’s 600pts so we gave up what is 1165 (you were off on your points in 2023) in points which is more than the value of us just straight up giving them 13 this year period (actual value us between 12 and 13).

Not sure I follow your point.  Not being disrespectful or arguing, but not getting your point. GB does have 2 5ths so not sure which one (I used higher of the 2 picks # 149) but math looks right based on this chart

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Gb

Net loss in terms of picks (not counting 1st round swap and mid round swap) is #43 this year and call it a 1 next year. Yes, a high 2 this year but we did not give up a #1 this year. So a high 2 and a 1 next year is the cost for Rodgers. If his cap is reworked to give us some flexibility AND he plays in 2024, I think we all would have signed for that (unless you really wanted Carr) when this was proposed 2 months ago.

Not saying it's a steal for us but it is a fair trade

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People are acting like Rodgers isn't going to be 40, coming off his worst year as a pro, showing real decline and this is almost certain to be a one year deal.

Brady won a sb at 43 and had a great year at 44

Favre had his best year of his career at age 40

Warren Moon made the pro bowl when he was 41

Drew Brees was still excellent at age 40

Rodgers is 39 (doesn't turn 40 until late dec) and has zero shoulder issues. 

Many great pitchers played great into there 40s.

It's a two year super bowl window IMHO. If you're not excited as a jets fan, I don't know what would make you excited. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

I just don't get the hate for this, The Jets just landed the best QB they had in forever. Rodgers will give them at least 2 years, maybe 3. Next year's 1 will be easily in the mid 20's. They have cap space for next year. They could land quality talent in FA, so for one year The Jets won’t be picking in Round 1. Whoopty do. They have Aaron Rodgers and that's all that matters.

This, plus…

Let’s not discount how many former first round FAs this trade will potentially attract.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I’d imagine the jets and Rodgers talked a lot and he said at least 2 years. There’s no way you trade for him without that discussion 

Doesn't matter what he might have told the Jets. He can change his mind. As of now, this is a 1-year gamble with no protection for the Jets should he retire. I'm glad we got him - I just hope it's for at least 2 years - much better odds for a Super Bowl appearance.

• Upvote 2

I really don’t like this trade unless there is something going on with the money.   Connor Rodgers seems to imply that when you see the money the trade will look better for the Jets.  But based on the current contracts, I don’t like the trade 

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is if the Packers traded Rodgers last year they would've gotten exponentially more from the Broncos than the Seahawks got from them. Probably 3 guaranteed 1st rd picks and more.  So while some are celebrating, their GM should be thanking God people today have short memories. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If PJ, Skoronski and JSN are all off the board at #15 and they can’t trade back, screw it I’d take Bijan

Why? So Joe Douglas can say he threw away two first round picks, when he didn’t have to, in the span of 4 days?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers with a broken thumb and throwing to Allen Lazard and a rookie Christian Watson who was invisible for the first half of the season, still managed to throw for 3700 yards, 26 TD’s and 12 INT’s while completing 65% of his passes.

And that’s considered a “falling off” point for him.

For us, it would be the best season a Jets QB has had since Vinny in ‘98, a flash in the pan…25 f*cking years ago.

I’m feeling pretty good today, and so should all Jets fans.

Impossible for some Jets fans. Some just like to be miserable. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

That sounds great but historically... I can't think of  team that traded for a QB over the age of 35 and it worked out well. Maybe the Broncos with Peyton but after that the Bronco's fell like a rock. So there is 1.  Are there others?  Good teams build through the draft and develop players. 

Also TB and Brady. 

Lots of close calls to a SB run like Testaverde in 98 (although he was a few months shy of 35 in 98). 

The difference between TB and Denver in those scenarios is that those teams were built out with vets and grabbed a HOF QB to make a run knowing it would most likely fall apart afterwards. This team is built far more out of the draft than purchased in FA so as long as there is a plan for a successor at QB potentially the team could move on without a total collapse like Farve to Rodgers. It's not ideal IMO but for a team that hasn't drafted close to a serviceable QB in twenty years it's not the worst move.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

So he’s winning 2 rings and 4 MVP’s in the next 7 years?

What are you even talking about? The Rams paid a premium for a top QB who was like 32 years old or something. The jets just traded for an all time great 40 year old QB who goes into a cave and contemplates retirement every off season.

I'm stoked we traded for him but I think it's an obvious over pay. If we win a Superbowl no one will give a crap what we paid.

• Upvote 2