Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

37 minutes ago, Sir Speez said:

What in the hell is wrong with you!!! F That he can go see them in the second round the Knicks need to close out that series in 5 and be done with them, what kind of cockamamie bs are you on today. I expect better from you.

Signed,

Long Suffering Knicks and Jets Fan

Would be interesting in Milwaukee wins that other series it’d be Knicks vs Bucks. Who would he root for lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Speez said:

What in the hell is wrong with you!!! F That he can go see them in the second round the Knicks need to close out that series in 5 and be done with them, what kind of cockamamie bs are you on today. I expect better from you.

Signed,

Long Suffering Knicks and Jets Fan

On it 

• Sympathy 1

My take on this trade is this. I always loved Rodgers and his incredible style of play.  The problem is that Rodgers is only affective with a great offensive line now. He cant roll out like he used to. And we don't have a top 5 offensive line. So I look at this trade like what the Yankees did with Josh Donaldson. He was a MVP player who just got old and could only do certain skills like he used too. So the question is, how does this Jets offensive line able to protect him.  Would I have done this trade? probably not with this offensive line roster. Derick Carr was not a scrambling QB but he was younger and it was not going to cost you any draft picks.  So for that reason I would of tried to sign him. 

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm just glad its over so i can block these idiots on Twitter still talking about leverage.

If Andrew Brandt isn't the most annoying human on earth, not sure who is. Although that Bukowski guy is a close second. What a bunch of morons, how does anyone listen to them?

Every Andrew Brandt post needs to have a Twitter Notes tag “Is close personal friends with Mark Murphy.”

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

My take on this trade is this. I always loved Rodgers and his incredible style of play.  The problem is that Rodgers is only affective with a great offensive line now. He cant roll out like he used to. And we don't have a top 5 offensive line. So I look at this trade like what the Yankees did with Josh Donaldson. He was a MVP player who just got old and could only do certain skills like he used too. So the question is, how does this Jets offensive line able to protect him.  Would I have done this trade? probably not with this offensive line roster. Derick Carr was not a scrambling QB but he was younger and it was not going to cost you any draft picks.  So for that reason I would of tried to sign him. 

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

My take on this trade is this. I always loved Rodgers and his incredible style of play.  The problem is that Rodgers is only affective with a great offensive line now. He cant roll out like he used to. And we don't have a top 5 offensive line. So I look at this trade like what the Yankees did with Josh Donaldson. He was a MVP player who just got old and could only do certain skills like he used too. So the question is, how does this Jets offensive line able to protect him.  Would I have done this trade? probably not with this offensive line roster. Derick Carr was not a scrambling QB but he was younger and it was not going to cost you any draft picks.  So for that reason I would have tried to sign him. 

I see your point but cmon man, don’t compare Josh Donaldson to Aaron Rodgers. Yes they were both former MVPs but the similarities stop there. Donaldson won his MVP 7 years before the Yankees acquired him. Rodgers won an MVP 48 months ago. Donaldson has had a nice career. Rodgers is literally one of the best NFL players of all time. 

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

If you think, for one second, that the Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals are going to “…rally around Kyle Allen/Blaine Gabbert/Jake Browning, and play good football” their way to a Super Bowl if Allen, Mahomes, or Burrow go down for the year, I have ocean side property in Nebraska to sell you.

A season ending injury to any superstar QB, more often than not, is a season altering for any team.  Situations like Warner and Brady are not the norm.

Add Nick Foles to your list but yeah if The Man goes down for the season, you’re 95% chance hosed.

A backup for a team with SB aspirations should be a steady hand (who cares about upside??) who can give you a legit shot to “steal” games with a strong team around him if the starter misses limited time. Basically, you want a backup the exact opposite of Zach, who is historically unsteady and whose only “positive” is hypothetical “upside.”

Of the remaining options, Teddy B is top of my list for QB2.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right now the Jets only owe him the $1.215 million in cap space for 2023. They have to adjust that $104 million bonus in 2024 but it sounds like he may eliminate a lot of that when he restructures with the Jets. 

@Bobby816 this is why I kept telling you to stop worrying about the cap. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Right now the Jets only owe him the $1.215 million in cap space for 2023. They have to adjust that $104 million bonus in 2024 but it sounds like he may eliminate a lot of that when he restructures with the Jets. 

Well we better be bringing in some talent then

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

so it sounds like (for now) the $58.3 million option bonus was pushed into 2024.  as stated, it obviously will need to be reworked by the jets post-trade.  but i guess this could align with what conner hughes was saying that the restructure will show rodgers' intent for playing more than 1 year if he is willing to push monies into 2024 and future years

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

That's why I want the Jets to draft a couple of quality o-linemen this draft.

37 minutes ago, choon328 said:

27 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

so it sounds like (for now) the $58.3 million option bonus was pushed into 2024.  as stated, it obviously will need to be reworked by the jets post-trade.  but i guess this could align with what conner hughes was saying that the restructure will show rodgers' intent for playing more than 1 year if he is willing to push monies into 2024 and future years

I’m not entirely sure how the option bonuses elide hitting the cap, but if they push it to 24, will the cap hits between the two year just be the remainder of the $104 million—so it’s basically 2 years, 44 million as far as the cap goes? cc: @Sperm Edwards

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not entirely sure how the option bonuses elide hitting the cap, but if they push it to 24, will the cap hits between the two year just be the remainder of the $104 million—so it’s basically 2 years, 44 million as far as the cap goes? cc: @Sperm Edwards

After the adjustment the $58.3 million option is now pushed into 224. So there's now a $104 million option scheduled for next year. I'm assuming that's going to be adjusted as well.  Those numbers will come out later tonight or tomorrow

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Stanley Blinka said:

I understand some people thinking that AR is not worth what JD paid. But I just don’t get the folks who are pulling fire alarms over the possible downside of the trade and/or acting like JD is a buffoon who got taken by GB. 

As I understand it, the Jets sent a 2nd & a 6th this year, and (likely) a late 1st next year in return for AR & a 5th this year. At worst then—if AR falls flat because of age or injury or whatever—the Jets are out two (possibly) good players: the 2nd this year and the 1st next year. That would be bad, but it’s not the catastrophe-level downside it would have to be to match some people’s negative reaction to this trade.

It’s a risk with a huge upside but not a huge downside.

We gave up very little to get Rodgers.  A first round draft pick swap where we only move 2 spots?  JD should be wearing a ski mask.

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

After the adjustment the $58.3 million option is now pushed into 224. So there's now a $104 million option scheduled for next year. I'm assuming that's going to be adjusted as well.  Those numbers will come out later tonight or tomorrow

Do you think the 104 will be split between 24, 25, 26 and we keep his 1.25 mill for this year?

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i think this is just a temporary hold by pushing it into next year.  so too early to get a true read on how it will impact the cap.

for the purpose of completing the trade, the jets only need enough space to meet the 2023 obligations/cap hit.  by pushing the bonus to next year (temporarily), rodgers' current contract only calls for $1.2MM or so in 2023, which is the amount of space the jets need to absorb the contract and complete the trade.  he would have $104MM due next year, which obviously will be adjusted on a subsequent restructure once the trade closes

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

Do you think the 104 will be split between 24, 25, 26 and we keep his 1.25 mill for this year?

i'd have to assume a not insignificant portion of the $104MM will come back for 2023 in the form of a signing bonus (so cap hit can be spread over remaining years) and the rest spread into 2024 and 2025.  remains to be seen if rodgers is willing to leave money on the table by reducing future payments from the amount he is currently guaranteed

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm just reading your post & haven't seen more than that yet - but based on your post it mostly doesn't (maybe slightly, in that a constant set of dollars feels like less later, when the cap is another year higher). Also it puts more of it off to later, when they may be over the hump from some other past restructures (Tomlinson, Mosley, more). 

What it does most is to serve as an incentive to remove the ultimate doomsday scenario:

• Jets miss out on the playoffs in the final week(s).
  • Rodgers still hit the incentives to make the trade include our 1st rounder in 2024.
  • A frustrated Rodgers then flakes out & retires just-before or just after the draft, accelerating some $45MM to the 2024 cap for a non-playoff team already lacking a 1st rounder. 

It also allows the possibility - however much no one should bet on it - that if we come up barely short in '23 that Rodgers does a Brady and just takes a pure pay cut, agreeing to lower it further, but I think that's only possible if that lump payment is due in 366+ days.

But anyway, by then he could figure he's making up for that difference with far more in additional local NY metro area endorsements & easy suits-handshaking appearances, rather than local ones like a ribbon-cutting ceremony for Smitty's Bait & Tackle Emporium, touting customers to "Remember, that 5th hook-hole punched on your Smitty's card earns you a free cup of live millipedes." We don't see Rodgers yukking it up with Jake from State Farm anymore ;)

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm just reading your post & haven't seen more than that yet - but based on your post it mostly doesn't (maybe slightly, in that a constant set of dollars feels like less later, when the cap is another year higher). Also it puts more of it off to later, when they may be over the hump from some other past restructures (Tomlinson, Mosley, more). 

What it does most is to serve as an incentive to remove the ultimate doomsday scenario:

• Jets miss out on the playoffs in the final week(s).
  • Rodgers still hit the incentives to make the trade include our 1st rounder in 2024.
  • A frustrated Rodgers then flakes out & retires just-before or just after the draft, accelerating some $45MM to the 2024 cap for a non-playoff team already lacking a 1st rounder. 

It also allows the possibility - however much no one should bet on it - that if we come up barely short in '23 that Rodgers does a Brady and just takes a pure pay cut, agreeing to lower it further, but I think that's only possible if that lump payment is due in 366+ days.

But anyway, by then he could figure he's making up for that difference with far more in additional local NY metro area endorsements & business handshaking appearances, rather than local ones like a ribbon-cutting ceremony for Smitty's Bait & Tackle Emporium, touting how that 5th hook-hole punched on your Smitty's card earns you a free cup of live millipedes. We don't see Rodgers yukking it up with Jake from State Farm anymore ;)

Thank you, my friend. ?