Jets and Quinnen NOT Close on Contract

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because I don't know. I've said that. I'm not avoiding it. I do not know. The Jets need to find a way to fairly compensate the first worthy draft hit they've had since the turn of the century. It's not the Da Vinci Code here. 

It sure seems like the Da Vinci Code. Sorry I asked. 

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Give him right below Donald’s contract. But if they keep pushing to be the top DT after several attempts, I would do it. 

lulwut?  You’re willing to pay Quinnen Williams $32M per?  After 1 very good season?  

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  You are talking about not knowing who the QB will be in 2-3 years as if it is an issue?  That's not a thing.  If we had a good young QB now we would: 1. not know if he sucked.  See Jordan Love.  2. probably have to pay him real money before we knew if he sucked.  See Jordan Love, Kirk Cousins.  How many teams have had a QB ready to take over two years in advance?  The Montana/Young 49ers and the Favre/Rodgers Packers.  That's it.  I guess you could say the Mahomes/Smith Chiefs, but the Chiefs knew Smith wasn't all that and were trying to improve.  That was more DeBerg/Montana or Elway.  Maybe Manning/Luck.  Maybe.

Im talking about we have a 2-3 year window with Rodgers to compete for a SB. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lulwut?  You’re willing to pay Quinnen Williams $32M per?  After 1 very good season?  

Yep. You read right. He’s gotten better each year. And was a downright animal last year and when he was out it was incredibly noticeable. He’s elite and leader on this D.  

This isn’t Leonard Williams. Pay the man. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

21 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yep. You read right. He’s gotten better each year. And was a downright animal last year and when he was out it was incredibly noticeable. He’s elite and leader on this D.  

This isn’t Leonard Williams. Pay the man. 

Yikes 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Give him right below Donald’s contract. But if they keep pushing to be the top DT after several attempts, I would do it. 

That would be stupid. The market has been set by the giants and titans. QW will make 22-24 mill/ year. To pay him 32 million would be a Maccagnan move.  He’s a good player I’d love to keep around. But not at 32 million. Edge rushers are hard to find. DTs aren’t 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Ok fine. 25/year. What, you wanna wait around and see if he’s actually good?

If the alternative is handing him $32M per, yes, I’ll let him play out his contract year.  

I wouldn’t like to see JD shell out $25M per but that’s sounding close to the going rate at this point.  

Love how people throw out “$32M a year” as if that’s the binary alternative to not extending him. Reminds me of the “argument” that “Robbie Anderson isn’t worth $19M/year.” I can throw out numbers too: 11; 375 and 1/2; 3.14.

Here we are on the cusp of a relevant season and people are seriously fretting over one of the three worthy big money extension players the team has drafted since the year 2000. Other teams have figured out how to pay their stars. And it’s going to happen with Q, too.

GMs and agents don’t just throw darts at a dartboard with numbers on it and scream at each other like we do. The Jets will develop a comparator model as will Q’s reps. The negotiation will then be between the value delta of the competing models. He will be extended and it won’t be for $32 mill/year in guaranteed cash. Q gets his bag earlier and Jets get a discount. That’s the give-and-take that will happen here.  

What we are seeing — as with the Rodgers wait — are fans not experienced in high stakes negotiations. Not criticizing. I’m an awful driver and haven’t driven a car in 9 years. And just like driving, people tend to be quite emotional when assessing their own negotiation skills. But the reality is that most people negotiate like one “important” deal every 7 years or so — a new car. There is a science and an art and a rhythm to it and you get better with practice. There are standard moves and gambits like chess and appropriate/suicidal responses to them. Knowing this stuff comes from doing it. Maybe there is that one prodigy in a generation that in their first game can beat a grandmaster. I doubt it but I guess the chances aren’t technically 0%. But I sure wouldn’t bet on it at any odds.

So far, this negotiation is following its expected path, even the timing of this “the sides aren’t close” article is textbook. This negotiation is going color-by-numbers and there is zero reason to be concerned at this time.

Fact is — if you worry about such a thing — extending him now helps the cap in the mid and latter years of his deal, as the cap continues to inflate. Keep kicking the can down the road, it gets more expensive to pick up as a percentage of the cap. 

Tl;dr — Ya’ll focus on some whack sh*t.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Personally think he will be traded for a first next year . I also think with Rogers Contract and signing his supporting cast the Jets have so much Money tied up that will hit the cap hard the next few years make QW a casualty.

Jets front office should be fired if they can’t figure out how to pay 2 star players at the same time.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, JiF said:

Have you ever paddled through a key hole made in a corral reef to an 8 foot wave breaking over 3 feet of water into a dry slab reef, make your way through the line up the peak and then proceed to ride the ride the barrel pig dog style knowing the if you dont make it, you might not be going home to family that evening? 

This might be the single most intense mouth full of a 40+ word sentence ever posted on this site. Thats an entire episode of Baywatch ?

I get winded and, subsequently, angry when the "waves" at Jones Beach make me struggle to get back to my Tommy Bahamma chair. That's pretty crazy, dude! ?

• Haha 2

He's not going anywhere. I think they're waiting until after June 1st and see if we have any guys that we want that will get cut and such and figure out how we want to do his deal in year 1 and 2 cap wise being we're a win now team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Love how people throw out “$32M a year” as if that’s the binary alternative to not extending him. Reminds me of the “argument” that “Robbie Anderson isn’t worth $19M/year.” I can throw out numbers too: 11; 375 and 1/2; 3.14.

Here we are on the cusp of a relevant season and people are seriously fretting over one of the three worthy big money extension players the team has drafted since the year 2000. Other teams have figured out how to pay their stars. And it’s going to happen with Q, too.

GMs and agents don’t just throw darts at a dartboard with numbers on it and scream at each other like we do. The Jets will develop a comparator model as will Q’s reps. The negotiation will then be between the value delta of the competing models. He will be extended and it won’t be for $32 mill/year in guaranteed cash. Q gets his bag earlier and Jets get a discount. That’s the give-and-take that will happen here.  

What we are seeing — as with the Rodgers wait — are fans not experienced in high stakes negotiations. Not criticizing. I’m an awful driver and haven’t driven a car in 9 years. And just like driving, people tend to be quite emotional when assessing their own negotiation skills. But the reality is that most people negotiate like one “important” deal every 7 years or so — a new car. There is a science and an art and a rhythm to it and you get better with practice. There are standard moves and gambits like chess and appropriate/suicidal responses to them. Knowing this stuff comes from doing it. Maybe there is that one prodigy in a generation that in their first game can beat a grandmaster. I doubt it but I guess the chances aren’t technically 0%. But I sure wouldn’t bet on it at any odds.

So far, this negotiation is following its expected path, even the timing of this “the sides aren’t close” article is textbook. This negotiation is going color-by-numbers and there is zero reason to be concerned at this time.

Fact is — if you worry about such a thing — extending him now helps the cap in the mid and latter years of his deal, as the cap continues to inflate. Keep kicking the can down the road, it gets more expensive to pick up as a percentage of the cap. 

Rather than amount per year this comes down to guaranteed money

• Sympathy 1

Personally think he will be traded for a first next year . I also think with Rogers Contract and signing his supporting cast the Jets have so much Money tied up that will hit the cap hard the next few years make QW a casualty.
I will admit .. while I hope he turns into a mini Aaron Donald ... Paying a guy guaranteed for one dominant year because of hopes doesn't seem wise...

I also think he might be traded for a 1 next year. It would hurt for sure ... Otherwise put him on the Kirk Cousins track let him play two more years under his contract and franchise him if he blows up.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm with you. 

And I think the Jets are, too. QW will get a new contract. 

The other thing I'd add is - this is not the offseason to f*ck around. You just went out and got Aaron Rodgers. The Jets have 4 star players - Rodgers, GW, Sauce, and QW. You don't go into this season with any of them not all in. 

Our defense was also night and day different without him last year in the Lions game. We win that game with QW playing. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:
I'm with you. 
And I think the Jets are, too. QW will get a new contract. 
The other thing I'd add is - this is not the offseason to f*ck around. You just went out and got Aaron Rodgers. The Jets have 4 star players - Rodgers, GW, Sauce, and QW. You don't go into this season with any of them not all in. 
Our defense was also night and day different without him last year in the Lions game. We win that game with QW playing. 

QW has two more years under contract ... Do you really think if he doesn't get a deal done he sits out this season when there is a chance at a SB ? I think guys that are real competitors go the Cousins route and bet on themselves.

Edited by Dunnie

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

QW has two more years under contract ... Do you really think if he doesn't get a deal done he sits out the season where the possibility can get a SB ? I think guys that are real competitors go the Cousins route and bet on themselves.

Sits out? No

But I don't think it's a good look for the Jets to not reward him right now. He's one of the best players on the team and I do think paying him will resonate in the locker room. 

• Upvote 3

Sits out? No
But I don't think it's a good look for the Jets to not reward him right now. He's one of the best players on the team and I do think paying him will resonate in the locker room. 
I'm not against paying him if he gives up some in the garauntees

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Sits out? No

Also extending him now allows you to build in the flexibility we will need when Sauce/G. Wilson/Breece are due. It’s unlikely we keep all 3 into second deals, but getting Q locked in with that in mind greatly increases our chances of being able to keep at least 2. Earlier is better with Q as we will have more years to spread a signing bonus over before the triplets want new money.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'm not against paying him if he gives up some in the garauntees

That should be the compromise, yes. If he’s insistant on a specific per year number for “optics,” that’s what funny money (non-guaranteed) years on the back-end are for.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

125m over 5 years .. 5 mill at signing

10m guaranteed

Love Q . But being objective .. the man has played one season of dominant football.

The total and per year seems roughly right although it’s in the Jets’ interest to pay more in signing bonus that they can amortize. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

if you worry about such a thing — extending him now helps the cap in the mid and latter years of his deal, as the cap continues to inflate. Keep kicking the can down the road, it gets more expensive to pick up as a percentage of the cap. 

LOL... Like "that" would ever be a problem.

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I never said it was fake news, but it is Totally Overblown. 

Sorry I misunderstood your response as I thought it was a totally fair dig at me for my constant eye rolling at fans saying “the cap” is why we can’t do things that every other team seems to be able to do — pay star players star money. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Sorry I misunderstood you response as I thought it was a totally fair dig at me for my constant eye rolling at fans saying “the cap” is why we can’t do things that every other team seems to be able to do — pay star players star money. 

np :) 

• Upvote 1

JD has no choice but to pay him, even if his demands are outlandish.  What's the alternative?  Trade him?  Imagine trading your best defensive player right after bringing in AR to go "all-in" these next two seasons?  It makes no sense.  He'll get his bag, and he'll remain a Jet.  They've got time to figure it out.

I will say though, if they can't compromise and JD actually has the balls to trade him, we better be getting a haul.  I'm talking beyond what we got for Adams.