DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.

DeAndre-Hopkins-scaled.jpg

In a bit of news unrelated to the Jets as of this moment, the release of free agent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins is now official.  This means Hopkins is now free to sign as soon as he finds a destination that meets his needs.

DeAndre Hopkins’ release from the Cardinals has now been officially processed by the league.

He is eligible to sign with a new team immediately ⏰

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) May 30, 2023

While the Chiefs and Bills have been discussed as potential landing spots, they have roughly $650,000 and 1.5 million in cap space respectively.  It has been reported that Hopkins, who averaged 79.7 yards per game last season, will not be signing on the cheap.  This is where the Jets could come in.

According to overthecap.com, the Jets currently have just $6.3 million in cap space, but that does not yet take into account the $12.8 million the Jets created with Carl Lawson’s pay cut.  So in all reality, the Jets are sitting at close to $20 million and could get to $31 million if they were to cut or trade Corey Davis which would seem inevitable in any move to acquire Hopkins.

How much of an upgrade would DeAndre Hopkins be over C. Davis? Looking at 2019-2022.

Davis: 1 drop per 16 tgt
Hopkins: 1 drop per 80 tgt

Hopkins: 77 y/g
Davis: 55 y/g

Hopkins: 17 TD
Davis: 11 TD

Hopkins: 6.3 rec/g
Davis: 3.6 rec/g

Davis: 15.4 ypc
Hopkins: 12.2 ypc

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 30, 2023

And while far too much is being made of Hopkins not mentioning the Jets as one of his top five choices on a podcast earlier this month, the Jets do have the three things Hopkins listed as mattering most to him.  That list being a high level quarterback, a top defense and a stable front office situation.  The Jets have all three, and the ability to create more cap space than other clubs in the running.

The addition of a player of Hopkins’ stature would likely elevate the Jets receiving corps to one the top 10 groups in the NFL.  Having opened themselves a very real but also very small super bowl window, the team should be doing everything they can to make it happen and Hopkins would be a huge step in the right direction.

The post DeAndre Hopkins Release Official; Receiver Free to Sign Immediately appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And if this is the contract?

If he is getting a one year deal, incentive based with total upside of 15mm, yes you do that in a second. My thoughts are all based on Spotrac's estimate of 2 years 19mm per, with the 2nd year being real.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jdeet said:

I am pretty sure we are in the position to give him the best contract out of the three teams - Bills, Chiefs, Jets. I don’t think the contract will be as bad as you think. Unless you simply don’t want to sign him at all. Then any contract is bad, I guess. 

No way, if the price is right I am all for it. Odell getting 15 million scares me, and Spotrac saying 2 for 38 is why I would hold back. If the contract isn't crazy go for it. You would be replacing him for Corey Davis who is a big injury risk anyway.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If he is getting a one year deal, incentive based with total upside of 15mm, yes you do that in a second. My thoughts are all based on Spotrac's estimate of 2 years 19mm per, with the 2nd year being real.

I’d be all in for a 3 year deal (that’s actually only 2 years) that gives him $35m guaranteed over 2. 

Swap him out for Corey Davis and keep him from KC or Buff. Yes please. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

#1 on the depth chart on a team with zero veteran WR talent doesn’t make you a #1. You are actually proving my point btw. He was 1 on last years depth chart and had less than 800 yards. With Rodgers as his QB. That’s effing terrible. 

In 2021 he was #2 on a top ten offense but you go on with your bad self.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

And?  500 yards and 800 yards are NFL numbers.  He is going to catch 60+% and he has had 14 TDs over the past two seasons.  Not a #1, sure.  Stop acting like the guy isn't an NFL WR. 

Exactly.  He wouldn't be getting WR1 money; he'd be getting paid commensurate of his role as a WR2 here.  Seems kinda perfect for both us and Hopkins at this stage in his career.

I'd prefer to go after Adams or Mike Evans but Hopkins would be a welcome addition.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

And?  500 yards and 800 yards are NFL numbers.  He is going to catch 60+% and he has had 14 TDs over the past two seasons.  Not a #1, sure.  Stop acting like the guy isn't an NFL WR. 

He’s a very solid #3. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  He wouldn't be getting WR1 money; he'd be getting paid commensurate of his role as a WR2 here.  Seems kinda perfect for both us and Hopkins at this stage in his career.

I'd prefer to go after Adams or Mike Evans but Hopkins would be a welcome addition.

We are talking about Lazard who Barton thinks is a #3 WR despite his being better than that in 3 of his 5 years in the league.  He did that on some very good Packer teams and as an UDFA signed from another team's waiver wire, he basically red-shirted as a rookie and had to work his way up the ladder.  The Packers had drafted J'mon Moore, MVS and EQ St. Brown his rookie year, after adding Malachi Dupre and Deangelo Yancey the year prior.  During his run they added Amari Rogers and Christian Watson and the only WRs to ever have better seasons than him from 2019-2022 were Davante Adams and for one season of 4, MVS.  I would like to add a WR, but it is far from a must have and whether Lazard is better than Davis, either is fine as #2, if not optimal. 

• Upvote 1

I think the question is what are the expectations for some from the #2 and 3 WRs. Seems there’s different expectations there.

Talking to GB fans they actually thought Rodgers biggest fault was how he only looked to Adams when it was crunch time. And that’s why they didn’t win another SB. So a more balanced WR group might be better for AR. Wilson is clearly our #1 WR. And while it would be great to get even close to Adams type numbers from him. What if Rodgers in crunch time only looks for Wilson? That’s a fault. Where let’s say he has Wilson and Hopkins. He has options.

Don’t think this is me not liking Lazard and Hardman… it’s more that I don’t trust Davis

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We are talking about Lazard who Barton thinks is a #3 WR despite his being better than that in 3 of his 5 years in the league.  He did that on some very good Packer teams and as an UDFA signed from another team's waiver wire, he basically red-shirted as a rookie and had to work his way up the ladder.  The Packers had drafted J'mon Moore, MVS and EQ St. Brown his rookie year, after adding Malachi Dupre and Deangelo Yancey the year prior.  During his run they added Amari Rogers and Christian Watson and the only WRs to ever have better seasons than him from 2019-2022 were Davante Adams and for one season of 4, MVS.  I would like to add a WR, but it is far from a must have and whether Lazard is better than Davis, either is fine as #2, if not optimal. 

Lazard is not good.  Neither is Davis.  Lazard had 800 yards receiving as Rodgers WR1 for a full season.  That’s a red flag.

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

52 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Lazard is not good.  Neither is Davis.  Lazard had 800 yards receiving as Rodgers WR1 for a full season.  That’s a red flag.

50 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I thought the point was to win a Super Bowl.  I seriously think 50% of jets fans will be happy if we just sneak in with a wildcard.  20+ years of ESPN brainwashing 

Welcome to the party.  No team has ever won a super bowl without three 1,000 yard receivers.  Which one of us succumbing to the ESPN brainwashing? 

For the record the Chiefs did not have a 1,000 yard wide receiver.  Their #2 had 687 and #3 315. They didn't have one in 2019 either. Yes they have Kelce who is a monster, but still.  The 49ers who we seem to be emulating had Aiyuk at 1,015 and Samuel at 684 with Kittle at 765.  There is more than one way to skin a cat and I am not sure when you are team building that Hopkins is the guy that you want to jump on at this stage.  I actually like Hopkins and would like to add WR, but I can see how they might see how he might be subtraction by addition.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Welcome to the party.  No team has ever won a super bowl without three 1,000 yard receivers.  Which one of us succumbing to the ESPN brainwashing? 

For the record the Chiefs did not have a 1,000 yard wide receiver.  Their #2 had 687 and #3 315. They didn't have one in 2019 either. Yes they have Kelce who is a monster, but still.  The 49ers who we seem to be emulating had Aiyuk at 1,015 and Samuel at 684 with Kittle at 765.  There is more than one way to skin a cat and I am not sure when you are team building that Hopkins is the guy that you want to jump on at this stage.  I actually like Hopkins and would like to add WR, but I can see how they might see how he might be subtraction by addition.

"Yes they have Kelce who is a monster" isn't a but still, that's a huge reason why they're able to get it done.

And with Deebo, you have a dude who also rushed for 232 yards. This was also in 13 games.

I'm not saying we absolutely need Hopkins by all means necessary, but he'd make our WR group top 5 in the league. Why is that a bad thing? We should give Rodgers all the help he can get. He's not in his prime like Mahomes.

• Upvote 1

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73

Saleh says #Jets "love our current group" when asked about whether NY might pursue DeAndre Hopkins.

That sounds like a no.

Zack Rosenblatt @ZackBlatt

Robert Saleh on DeAndre Hopkins: "We love our current group. We love our group." Doesn't sound like the #Jets are interested.

23 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Saleh says #Jets "love our current group" when asked about whether NY might pursue DeAndre Hopkins.

That sounds like a no.

Robert Saleh on DeAndre Hopkins: "We love our current group. We love our group." Doesn't sound like the #Jets are interested.

What would you expect Saleh to say? "Yes! We want Deandre Hopkins!" He said what he is supposed to say to that question.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

So all we need is the GOAT TE, Andy Reid and a QB who is better than Aaron Rodgers to overcome mediocre WR depth.  Nice.

56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am amazed that a WR who can't run anymore outperformed the OROY WR on our team on a per game basis with greats like Colt McCoy and Trace McSorley throwing to him.

And Zach Wilson,Joe Flacco and Mike White are sooooo much better than that dynamic duo who you referenced 

46 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

What would you expect Saleh to say? "Yes! We want Deandre Hopkins!" He said what he is supposed to say to that question.

It amazes me how so many actually believe his "coaches speak" bullsh*t every single time. Like you said, what is he supposed to say to the media? 

55 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Just relaying info.........

He also said a month ago they like their RB room when asked about signing E. Elliott

And said C.Lawson & C. Davis weren't going anywhere this season..We know Lawson will be here in '23

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

That sounds like a no.

If Breece Hall is healthy the Jets don’t need that many high profile guys who want the ball.

Even with Rodgers this offense is all about Breece don’t get it twisted.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Just relaying info.........

He also said a month ago they like their RB room when asked about signing E. Elliott

Don’t think he is lying, offense is gonna run through Breece setting up easy completions for a QB who doesn’t need to be set up.  

Saleh wants to run play D to win.  

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So all we need is the GOAT TE, Andy Reid and a QB who is better than Aaron Rodgers to overcome mediocre WR depth.  Nice.

We have a WR that, as a rookie, had 1100 yards from Zach Wilson, Mike White and Joe Flacco, but let's act like Allen Lazard can't hold a candle to JuJu Smith Schuster.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I am amazed that a WR who can't run anymore outperformed the OROY WR on our team on a per game basis with greats like Colt McCoy and Trace McSorley throwing to him.

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

And Zach Wilson,Joe Flacco and Mike White are sooooo much better than that dynamic duo who you referenced 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I never said they were.

Let’s not forget that Hopkins played on a 4-13 which normally means that they are playing from behind and defense is playing looser coverage. And how many passes did he catch downfield (let’s say passes that travel more than 15-20 yards in the air?) I don’t know the answer to this but I’m quite sure it wasn’t many Statistics don’t tell an entire story and can be quite misleading and I’m Just curious what is your point in your comparison of QBs in regards to Hopkins and Wilson as all the QBs mentioned sucked as well as the offensive lines on both teams 

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.