Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

On 6/19/2023 at 1:50 AM, MichaelScott said:

Sure . I forgotten thst general reading comp is lost on many of our more simple people on this site. Here's a picture for you? Maybe it'll be easier. Hopefully this helps. I know words can be tough. 

Screenshot_20230618_211109_Samsung capture.jpg

Screenshot_20230619_015328_Chrome.jpg

Thanks.  This is very helpful.

Comes down to that I think some are A LOT higher on our RB depth right now than others.

I sit on the side of that I don't love our depth at RB as a SB team. It's ok depth for a team around .500 Crater and Knight weren't very good last year. Hall either isn't healthy to start the year or God forbid gets injured again... IMO we aren't winning a SB with Carter or Knight as our starting RB. So I see it as a spot we need a more reliable backup/starter at. With Cook as one of my top guys out there as a FA.

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A move like this would signal the Jets are serious about making a Super Bowl run with this roster.

No way!  For real!  That's all it takes to prove they care!!?!?!?  OMG so exciting.

What if they signed Zeke?  or Kareem Hunt?  Are they serious or is Dalvin Cook the only player they can sign to show us they're serious? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

@Joe W. Namath

ahem

IMG_4859.jpeg

If the Jets have truly done their homework, they know that he’s already on the downside of his career. 

And also, “several teams in the AFC East”? There aren’t several teams in any division in football. Three or four is a few. Most likely, a couple teams in the division are showing interest - whether they actually have interest or just want to raise the price that Miami ultimately pays. 

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

No way!  For real!  That's all it takes to prove they care!!?!?!?  OMG so exciting.

What if they signed Zeke?  or Kareem Hunt?  Are they serious or is Dalvin Cook the only player they can sign to show us they're serious? 

There are other players that can show this - hence I wrote a move "like" this.  Cook is a legitimate impact level player.  

But they will not, because they are not.

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There are other players that can show this - hence I wrote a move "like" this.  Cook is a legitimate impact level player.  

What other names are on your; if the Jets are serious or not list? 

38 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets have truly done their homework, they know that he’s already on the downside of his career. 

And also, “several teams in the AFC East”? There aren’t several teams in any division in football. Three or four is a few. Most likely, a couple teams in the division are showing interest - whether they actually have interest or just want to raise the price that Miami ultimately pays. 

I agree he’s on the downside but why not try to sign him and run him into the ground the first 8 games. Breece likely won’t be Breece this year and certainly won’t be right out the gate. Plus the out first 6 games are against legit competition. 

Im not advocating we pay him $8m this season but I would try to get him at a reasonable price. If it only costs money and we can fit him into the cap for one season - I think having an accomplished veteran RB is valuable. 

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I agree he’s on the downside but why not try to sign him and run him into the ground the first 8 games. Breece likely won’t be Breece this year and certainly won’t be right out the gate. Plus the out first 6 games are against legit competition. 

Im not advocating we pay him $8m this season but I would try to get him at a reasonable price. If it only costs money and we can fit him into the cap for one season - I think having an accomplished veteran RB is valuable. 

Minnesota has one of the better OLs in the league, and his production has gone down. The so-called advanced stats say he only gets what his OL gives him. The Jets OL figures to be something of a work in progress, probably well into the beginning of the regular season. This is not the back to sign to carry the load early. If they’re gonna sign anyone, it should be someone who’s capable of creating on his own. Cook no longer has that capability. He’s far more name than production at this stage of his career, and he’d be a waste of money. I honestly hope Miami or NE signs him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

cook WAS an impact player (in so much as RBs can be impact players in regular football - vs fantasy football).  whether he still IS one is not given.  

he may be better than the non-breece hall options on the roster.  or he may have hit the proverbial wall that RBs with a lot of wear and tear at age 28 hit.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What other names are on your; if the Jets are serious or not list? 

I think as current free agents..

It's Hopkins and Cook as the only real impact players in positions of need for the Jets.

There can always be trades available but can't really comment as there are too many players - but upgrades at RB, WR2 and a starting caliber OT - are all big enough holes on this team right now - that any team serious about making a Super Bowl (when they only have 2 years at most of their already declining HOF QB) would make if they were legitimately thinking Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

cook WAS an impact player (in so much as RBs can be impact players in regular football - vs fantasy football).  whether he still IS one is not given.  

he may be better than the non-breece hall options on the roster.  or he may have hit the proverbial wall that RBs with a lot of wear and tear hit at age 28 hit.

He's 27 and I haven't seen the decline:  I mean he may have hit the "wall" but there is nothing to support that.
image.thumb.png.ed0c7257d007b0dcbf2f0ec48031a0cd.png

49 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

if the jets have a competent FO, they have "done their homework" on literally every available free agent that isnt a starting QB.

I imagine that the team has an extensive list of players they believe could become available in cutdowns and/or potentially available on the cheap who might represent upgrades to their current top 53. Laying out millions for a past his prime back is no way to build a team, and not smart for a team that needs to navigate Rodgers’ contract under the cap. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

28 when the season starts

and last i checked going from 5.0 YPC to 4.7 YPC to 4.4 YPC is a decline.

funny you say aaron rodgers, one year removed from back-to-back MVP seasons, is in serious decline because his 2022 stats were worse than 2021 or 2020, yet you don't see decline in cook going from 16 TDs and 5.0 average in 2020 to 8 TDs and a 4.4 avg in 2022.

Stop:

Aaron Rodgers decline was sharp - It was by far his worse year as a pro.  In Cook's 6 year as a pro - he had only two years where he put up more yards than last year.   

Where as Rodgers had easily his worst year as a pro and it wasn't close.  Easily his lowest yardage total, QBR, most INT's and he didn't have a single 300 yard game.

The comparison of losing 2 to 3 tenths of a yard per carry (even though he had over 1100 total yards) vs. the decline we saw from Rodgers is laughable.image.thumb.png.c2473eb3cddf75e33de77cee2d4363d5.png

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I imagine that the team has an extensive list of players they believe could become available in cutdowns and/or potentially available on the cheap who might represent upgrades to their current top 53. Laying out millions for a past his prime back is no way to build a team, and not smart for a team that needs to navigate Rodgers’ contract under the cap. 

you dont know anything about the $, or how the jets feel about their team. if you feel good about your other groups, and the price comes down....you may choose to strengthen a position of strength.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, this has been JD's style.

The problem is sticking with this style after giving up in picks and salary for what you did for Rodgers makes close to zero sense to manage the team with business as usual after that.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop:

Aaron Rodgers decline was sharp - It was by far his worse year as a pro.  In Cook's 6 year as a pro - he had only two years where he put up more yards than last year.   

Where as Rodgers had easily his worst year as a pro and it wasn't close.  Easily his lowest yardage total, QBR, most INT's and he didn't have a single 300 yard game.

The comparison of losing 2 to 3 tenths of a yard per carry (even though he had over 1100 total yards) vs. the decline we saw from Rodgers is laughable.

you do realize that last year was the first time cook played in 17 games.  so yeah, technically it was his 2nd highest yardage rushing. but he averaged less per game and less per carry than in any of his other seasons as a full-time starter (2019 and onward).

in 2020, he averaged 111 yards per game and 5.0 yards per carry

in 2022, he averaged 69 yards per game (a 38% decline) and 4.4 yards per carry (a 12% decline)

we've discussed ad naseum the possible reasons for rodgers lower production (change in coaching staff, loss of best receivers, quality of receiving corps working in 2 raw rookies, and a broken thumb).  but if you look at cook's last 3-4 seasons and don't see a material drop in production, then you are just being blind.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you do realize that last year was the first time cook played in 17 games.  so yeah, technically it was his 2nd highest yardage rushing. but he averaged less per game and less per carry than in any of his other seasons as a full-time starter (2019 and onward).

in 2020, he averaged 111 yards per game and 5.0 yards per carry

in 2022, he averaged 69 yards per game (a 38% decline) and 4.4 yards per carry (a 12% decline)

we've discussed ad naseum the possible reasons for rodgers lower production (change in coaching staff, loss of best receivers, quality of receiving corps working in 2 raw rookies, and a broken thumb).  but if you look at cook's last 3-4 seasons and don't see a material drop in production, then you are just being blind.

There’s a good reason why a non-tanking Vikings squad cut Cook loose after being unable to find a trade partner.  So many fans are always shocked at how big name RBs get cast aside while failing to realize just how quickly these guys hit the wall.

RBs on 2nd contracts or with 2nd teams simply have an awful track record.  Pretending any old RB can have longevity like Derrick Henry is fool’s gold. 

3 years ago YPC was 4.5 and last year it was 4.4 —- also see film with numerous big plays of 25+ yards last year. Speed is all there. Y’all be crazy counting on jags like bam and Mike carter with their 3.6 ypc numbers next year. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Dalvin cook would be an expensive seat warmer.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed which is why I’d like to explore other RB2 options.  Still definitely think we need to add a capable early down back to the room from somewhere.

Just not as badly as we need a QB2.  😏

1 minute ago, Barton said:

3 years ago YPC was 4.5 and last year it was 4.4 —- also see film with numerous big plays of 25+ yards last year. Speed is all there. Y’all be crazy counting on jags like bam and Mike carter with their 3.6 ypc numbers next year. 

Gimme someone like Eno Benjamin and call it a day.

The Vikings didn’t cut loose a RB with big play ability still in the tank dude.  It’s a young man’s position in a young man’s game.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gimme someone like Eno Benjamin and call it a day.

The Vikings didn’t cut loose a RB with big play ability still in the tank dude.  It’s a young man’s position in a young man’s game.  

Big plays were there last year though….fact 

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Big plays were there last year though….fact 

Also a fact:  His expected yardage was still below average per NextGen.  Meaning on most carries he took what the OL gave him or less.  

I like Dalvin.  I'd be fine with him being a Jet.  I just don't think the price points will match up to where it makes sense for him to be a Jet.  Especially not when there's roughly <0.1 % chance that Aaron Rodgers' 2023 salary remains at $1.1M.

Aug 29 will present better bang-for-your-buck price options when nearly 1,200 players will be cut from rosters, several of which will be some good RBs.  It could also present a date by which Dalvin needs to significantly lower his asking price and instead seek out a good situation.  Like the Jets.  For much cheaper.

• Upvote 1