Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cook wants to get paid and be the lead ball carrier.  Neither of those are happening with the Jets.

Less then 0% chance.

He literally says the opposite when asked questions in the media. So this is false.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

We have Aaron Rodgers.  Let him throw the ball the 1st month of the season if breece isnt ready.  If we need an all star team around rodgers to be successful then we should have never signed him.  Mahomes had some kid Pacheceo running the ball and was just fine.

You think we're beating teams like BUF, DAL, GB, NE, PHI, DEN with Rodgers slinging the ball around (ala Flacco early last year) with no run game? Not happening.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You think we're beating teams like BUF, DAL, GB, NE, PHI, DEN with Rodgers slinging the ball around (ala Flacco early last year) with no run game? Not happening.

Not saying no run game but if mahomes can hand it off to a 7th round pick and win a super bowl, we should be just fine handing it off to the guys we already have until breece is ready.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Because he's not Breece Hall.  

Hall was playing at an elite level and I suspect in the back of all of our minds - there's hope he's going to come back and look like he did.

So anything other than that is going to be disappointing.  Right now Cook isn't that, but he is a pretty big upgrade over anything else we have.  

So, admittedly, the Jets currently have an elite RB in Hall.  And Dalvin Cook actually sorta kind of sucks but still, this is a good move to sign him because he has a name and a serious organization would sign him because fantasy owners like Cook.  Got it.  Again, brilliant and logical take.  Deep thought to get here, deep thought. 

I will feel much better at JD's mindset if they make this move.

JD's MO on most big time FA's has been to get really close and get outbid at the last minute.  The league knows this and will wait him out until he's reached, what seems to be, his immovable ceiling.

Interesting, they're apparently very serious about signing him, wouldnt that "mindset" be enough to show you they are serious....or they have to land him?   And if another team swoops in and beats the Jets to Cook, well, then back to not serious they go!!!!

Brilliant, these are the types of takes that make you stand out of the crowd here, my friend!  Just brilliant! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have Aaron Rodgers.  Let him throw the ball the 1st month of the season if breece isnt ready.  If we need an all star team around rodgers to be successful then we should have never signed him.  Mahomes had some kid Pacheceo running the ball and was just fine.

Yeah but the Chiefs got lucky, they werent serious about winning the SB, it just kinda happened.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not saying no run game but if mahomes can hand it off to a 7th round pick and win a super bowl, we should be just fine handing it off to the guys we already have until breece is ready.

So now we're saying Rodgers can do the things Mahomes can? Come on now.

I will feel much better at JD's mindset if they make this move.

JD's MO on most big time FA's has been to get really close and get outbid at the last minute.  The league knows this and will wait him out until he's reached, what seems to be, his immovable ceiling.

OBJ still haunts you lol

ghost crying GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I'd prefer to take the pain pill on Rodgers this year and next .. but JD has already kicked the can at least a year.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I just feel like Rodgers will continue to decline YoY at this point.  So I get the idea of getting the pain out of the way...

But I would prefer to load up on talent while we have him.  The more he declines the more talent will be required to win.

I say go all in this year.  Rodgers is still a good QB - put the right pieces around him and the Jets will be a tough out.  

RB Reset: In Jets' By-Committee Plan, Breece Hall Is the Chairman

HC Robert Saleh Says: ‘There’s a Lot of Versatility, a Lot of Juice in That Room’

Jul 06, 2023 

RUNNING BACKS (6) Players
Jets Holdovers Michael Carter (Round 4, 2021), Breece Hall (Round 2, 2022), FB Nick Bawden (FA, 2021), Zonovan Knight (UDFA, 2022)
Rookie Arrivals Israel Abanikanda (Round 5, 2023), Travis Dye (UDFA, 2023)
Departures Ty Johnson, James Robinson

Cornerstones and Contributors
As a rookie last season, Breece Hall didn't just burst on the scene -- he exploded. But then, in the Week 7 game at Denver, Hall tore an ACL and missed the rest of the season. Still, he finished his first season out of Iowa State as the Jets leading rusher with 80 carries for 463 yards (5.8 a carry) and 4 rushing TDs, plus 19 receptions for 218 yards (11.5 per catch) and a TD.

Hall, 22, a second-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, is working his way back and the Green & White hope to have him available to face visiting Buffalo in the season opener on Monday night, Sept. 11."I don't want to jinx it," HC Robert Saleh said. "The kid's already hitting over 22 [m.p.h.] on the GPS. He looks freaking good."

Though he's itching to get back on the field, Hall has been cautious about all the expectations."I'll be ready when I'll be ready," he said. "Obviously, I hope I'm ready [for Week 1], but you never know. I'm just taking it a week at a time and letting my knee do what it does. Everybody wants me to be ready for Week 1, but you have to come back when you feel ready. Until I feel like I'm ready, I'll just know."

Saleh, too, said the team would take a measured approach in training camp, which will begin in mid-July."I feel like he won't need to be limited in training camp even though we still will just to be conscientious and cautious with him," Saleh said. "But he looks awesome."

Newcomers and Outgoers
The Jets were hit with a double-whammy in that game at Denver last season when Hall and OL Alijah Vera-Tucker each sustained season-ending injuries. The loss of AVT augured continued shuffling on the offensive line, a struggle that had an impact on the run game and the passing game.Third-year running back Michael Carter chipped in with 402 yards on 114 carries (3.5 yards a carry), and undrafted free agent Zonovan "Bam" Knight came on to amass 300 yards on 48 carries (3.5 a carry). They each return for another season and will find a new running mate in the backfield -- Brooklyn's Israel "Izzy" Abanikanda, a rookie out of Pittsburgh.

As GM Joe Douglas said about Abanikanda after April's NFL Draft, when he was taken by the Jets in the fifth round: "Izzy is a home-run threat with size [5-11, 216], speed, and production. He has so much juice, and breakaway speed."One of Abanikanda's claims to fame came as a junior in Pitt's game against Virginia Tech when he claimed the team's single-game rushing yards record (304 yards), which had been set by Tony Dorsett in 1975, by a single yard. He also tied the Panthers' single-game rushing touchdowns record (6) a record set in 1910.

"We were shocked, we thought he would go at least on Friday night," said Assistant GM Rex Hogan. "He's probably one of the top 100 players. When we were sitting there on Day 3, we thought he'd be gone. He's such a good fit for our run game and scheme, and what did at Pitt with speed when hits the second level, his speed is awesome."

JetSpeak
During a late-June appearance on Good Morning Football, Jets TE Tyler Conklin was asked about the possibility of the Jets adding another dynamic talent in his former Vikings teammate RB Dalvin Cook. Conklin said, "That'd be a special backfield with Breece (Hall) and Dalvin and the rookie (Israel Abanikanda) and whatnot, Mike Carter. I don't know. That's a lot of running backs, but I think that'd be special, especially in this outside zone scheme."

>>  https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/rb-reset-in-jets-by-committee-plan-breece-hall-is-the-chairman

Not sure how anyone who saw how dramatic the drop-off was when Breece went out is whining about signing a 4 time pro bowler.  Good lord. 

Get it done JD.  Hard Knocks is going to be appointment viewing. 

• Post of the Week 2

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

So, admittedly, the Jets currently have an elite RB in Hall.  And Dalvin Cook actually sorta kind of sucks but still,

Yes, Breece Hall certainly showed himself to be an elite RB.  I love Breece.  We just don't know what he'll be this year.  Cook was an 1,100 yard rusher last year - far better than anything we had last year.  And he's still 27 years old.  Cook might only have a year or two of playing at a high level -  but he's still an upgrade.  Why are you so against upgrading the roster?  It's like it's your private money or something.

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interesting, they're apparently very serious about signing him, wouldnt that "mindset" be enough to show you they are serious....or they have to land him?   And if another team swoops in and beats the Jets to Cook, well, then back to not serious they go!!!!

Brilliant, these are the types of takes that make you stand out of the crowd here, my friend!  Just brilliant! 

Interested at a price, just like Hill last year, OBJ this year...He kicks the tires, but agents and teams have figured him out.  They let him get to his top price and then go the team that really wants him.   Just how committed is he to winning a SB?  The Jets have shown, to me, while they're interested they are not in an all-in situation.  

Again, it is my opinion, that if the Jets believed they had a legitimate shot a championship - they would be all-in on trying to load up the team - while they're in this very short Rodgers window.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But haven't we have had success with RBs at this stage of their career when we have been a win now team? Thomas Jones? LT? Of course there were misses like Bell (OL and poor QB play had a lot to do with him being a fail as well).

I just ask myself that let's say Hall is even ok to play but doesn't look like himself bc he came back too soon. Are any of us ok and think we're winning the SB with Bam and Carter than taking 15+ touches a game? I don't. Where I do with Cook touching the ball 15+ times.

I keep saying the same things, but this is how I look at our RB situation:  Hall is coming back.  Where is at?  I'm not sure.  I think there is a fairly good chance that Abanikanda is the #2 back in carries.  I think that would be a good thing and there is a fair chance that he would be preferable to Cook at this stage.  I think Carter might be in a much better position with Rodgers.  The Jets were trying to ground and pound with WIlson last year and it was not working well.  Carter does not seem particularly suited.  I guess there are concerns with pass pro with these guys, but I think he will be a solid enough option.  I think Bam is okay and I really like Dye as a guy that might deserve some NFL run even if only a JAG.  None of these guys will cost $5-10M.

I don't think that Tomlinson is a guy that makes me want Cook.  He was an all time great that was "eh" as a change of pace back to Greene.  Jones is an interesting comparison.  They got Thomas Jones to be the bell cow because Tannenbaum was struggling trying to find a back - failing with Lee Suggs, Barlow, and Blaylock.  They were fairly desperate.  They weren't a win now team.  They were literally in the 2nd year of the ground up rebuild and I think they liked the mentality that Jones was going to add as a team leader.  RB1/2 is fair from the biggest need on this team IMO.  Jones was a major worker and workout warrior.  I don't get the same vibe from Cook.  

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I am supposed to be terrified of Green Bay and New England?  They should suck.  Denver?  I mean the coaching change may cause a huge blip, but everybody was counting on them as a loss last year and look what happened.  Worry about your own house and the schedule will take care of itself.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just feel like Rodgers will continue to decline YoY at this point.  So I get the idea of getting the pain out of the way...

But I would prefer to load up on talent while we have him.  The more he declines the more talent will be required to win.

I say go all in this year.  Rodgers is still a good QB - put the right pieces around him and the Jets will be a tough out.  

You're advocating for loading up on names, not talent.  

Show me a recent SB team that had a big name RB on the roster.  I dare you. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, Breece Hall certainly showed himself to be an elite RB.  I love Breece.  We just don't know what he'll be this year.  Cook was an 1,100 yard rusher last year - far better than anything we had last year.  And he's still 27 years old.  Cook might only have a year or two of playing at a high level -  but he's still an upgrade.  Why are you so against upgrading the roster?  It's like it's your private money or something.

lmfao - the dude complaining about how much Aaron Rodgers is getting paid, suddenly, doesnt care how much money the Jets spend and is willing to overpay for Dalvin Cook because he get him 10 points a game in fantasy football. 

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Interested at a price, just like Hill last year, OBJ this year...He kicks the tires, but agents and teams have figured him out.  They let him get to his top price and then go the team that really wants him.   Just how committed is he to winning a SB?  The Jets have shown, to me, while they're interested they are not in an all-in situation.  

Again, it is my opinion, that if the Jets believed they had a legitimate shot a championship - they would be all-in on trying to load up the team - while they're in this very short Rodgers window.

Yes, the team who traded a first for a small window w/ a HOF QB and are paying him a ridiculous amount of money are not actually "all in"...the only way they are "all in" is by overpaying for sh*tty FA's. 

Fido, you got them good brains, brah.  A real next level thinker. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cook was an 1,100 yard rusher last year - far better than anything we had last year.  And he's still 27 years old.

I love these straight up comparisons as if they make any logical sense at all. Why don’t you figure in the Vikings OL and QB in a quick comparison to what the Jets backs were dealing with. Remember, AVT went down in the same game Hall did. They really never had a chance. I think if Carter and Cook had switched teams, their stats would be significantly closer, if not reversed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It definitely said a lot about the way JD feels about this team's chances.

No, it says that when he makes a move you would have made its smart, when he doesn’t it’s a negative. You really don’t see it ?

how ever many years you have been following a sports team, how many times have they made every move you would have in an offseason?  0

while armchair GMing is a fun pastime, I get second hand embarrassment from your trolling. Your villian origin story is getting into an argument over a Wilson pass lol. 

you make no sense because Rodgers was bad because price but having a number he wouldn’t go over on OBJ is bad because “all in “ Your negotiating opinions demonstrate how you’ve never earned a commission from a pregnant pause lol  

why does Vegas think the jets are a better bet to win the superbowl than the ravens ?  Weird, right ?  

let me take some stress off of you.   The jets will never do everything that you would do.   Just enjoy it.  I wanted Thibs at 4.  Jets knew better. It doesn’t always work that way obviously but spinning and twisting things to fit your trolling is sad 

the Jets evaluated something like 14 QBs at the end of last season and the superbowl tier was Rodgers, Jackson and Stafford.  They went after Rodgers and have brought in offensive playmakers to help him.  Vegas has them I think at 6th best odds to win  your arguments about all in are so cringy.  Lazard and Hardman are good fits for this offense.  Try to remember that an offense doesn’t have #1 and #2 etc it’s X, slot, Z etc  look a little deeper 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The guy ran for 1,100 yards last year. And is currently only 27. 

We need to stop pretending because a guy has a big name he sucks.  He doesn't.  For whatever reason Jet fans on JN are adverse to signing good players.  I don't get the fear of having a good players.

He's not Breece Hall - I get that but he's still a substantial upgrade over what we have.

• More Ugh 1

Your version of all-in is another way of saying stupid.  Spend on every guy that has had success and everything else be damned.  Even if you 100% want to win in 2023 at the expense of all future years, the willy-nilly spending you keep proposing is not helpful.  Quinnen does not get a deal and is unhappy.  Rodgers has the can kicked to next season and the entire rest of the team sees a $100M hit next year and knows they are not getting paid if they stay.  Short window or not, 

You can make a similar case for Ezekiel Elliott, but I don't think these guys are necessarily upgrades.  RBs fall off a cliff.  Guys like Fournette, and Doug Martin could barely find jobs after having fairly big seasons.  

If you think not paying OBJ $15M is a black mark on Douglas, there is literally nothing that can help you and I am surprised you can make it to the mailbox. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

No, it says that when he makes a move you would have made its smart, when he doesn’t it’s a negative. You really don’t see it ?

how ever many years you have been following a sports team, how many times have they made every move you would have in an offseason?  0

while armchair GMing is a fun pastime, I get second hand embarrassment from your trolling. Your villian origin story is getting into an argument over a Wilson pass lol. 

you make no sense because Rodgers was bad because price but having a number he wouldn’t go over on OBJ is bad because “all in “ Your negotiating opinions demonstrate how you’ve never earned a commission from a pregnant pause lol  

why does Vegas think the jets are a better bet to win the superbowl than the ravens ?  Weird, right ?  

let me take some stress off of you.   The jets will never do everything that you would do.   Just enjoy it.  I wanted Thibs at 4.  Jets knew better. It doesn’t always work that way obviously but spinning and twisting things to fit your trolling is sad 

the Jets evaluated something like 14 QBs at the end of last season and the superbowl tier was Rodgers, Jackson and Stafford.  They went after Rodgers and have brought in offensive playmakers to help him.  Vegas has them I think at 6th best odds to win  your arguments about all in are so cringy.  Lazard and Hardman are good fits for this offense.  Try to remember that an offense doesn’t have #1 and #2 etc it’s X, slot, Z etc  look a little deeper 

funny goat GIF

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We need to stop pretending because a guy has a big name he sucks.  He doesn't.  For whatever reason Jet fans on JN are adverse to signing good players.  I don't get the fear of having a good players.

He's not Breece Hall - I get that but he's still a substantial upgrade over what we have.

You completely ignored my point and just keep banging away at this 1110 yard thing.  Why aren't the Vikings, who are a playoff team, enamored with Cook's 1100 yards?????  Instead, they are handing the position over to a back who had 282 yards and 3.8 ypc last season.  Weird right?  

Teams don't win in the NFL in 2023 paying 28 year old running backs $5-10 million a season.  They just don't.  And they don't win paying 31 year old receivers coming off a serious knee injury $15 million either.  

The point you keep failing to comprehend is that a significant number of fans (and maybe JD as well) just don't think Cook is an upgrade at all over Carter or Knight or Abanikanda.  

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Give it a rest with the 27.  He turns 28 in a month.  Ezekiel Elliott is 19 days older.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Nah, it's nothing like that.  I like JD as a GM.  I've found him to be, at worst, competent - which is far better than what we've had for a very long time.

I think the Rodgers move was very out of character for him.  And my assumption was - if you're going to make such a drastic move - you would be all-in on building a championship caliber roster to back up that move.  He hasn't.

Minus the Rodgers move - this has been a typical JD off-season - which I would be very comfortable with.  Smart signings with a long term vision to maintaining a sustainable competitive roster.  All good.

The Rodgers move should completely change the mind set.  One without the other makes zero sense.  That's all I've been saying and if you can't see that - so be it.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

Vegas isn't some brilliant dude.  It's simply a way to get equal bets on either side of any event.  Moreover, who gives a sh*t about the Ravens?  The Jets might be a top 10 team this year.  I'm not saying they're a bad team.  

This roster, even with Rodgers, isn't getting past the top tier teams in the NFL though.  No reasonable person believes it is.  So the question is, why give up the farm for Rodgers if you're not going to put a championship caliber roster around him?

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Vegas has them I think at 6th best odds to win  your arguments about all in are so cringy.

The 6th best team in the NFL - is one playoff win and out.  While not terrible, you're not giving up $100mm, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, swapping 1st + - for two years of a playoff win and out

.Again, if that would make you happy - so be it.  I find it cringy how fans can be that beaten down, that not only are you good with that but you're actively attacking people that want them to be more aggressive.

30 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The teams that are winning are doing with elite QB play.  I do not believe the Jets are going to get that this year.  So in order to win - giving yourself the best players possible around your top 10 QB (which is probably about where I expect Rodgers to be) 

I'm just so confused why Jet fans are so against getting a 27 year old, 1,100 yard running back.  

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The teams that are winning are doing with elite QB play.  I do not believe the Jets are going to get that this year.  So in order to win - giving yourself the best players possible around your top 10 QB (which is probably about where I expect Rodgers to be) 

I'm just so confused why Jet fans are so against getting a 27 year old, 1,100 yard running back.  

Where were the Jets finding this “elite QB play” you criticize them for not finding?

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

he will be 28 when the season starts, has had injury issues in the past, and has seen a pretty large decline in performance over the last 3 years.

you keep sticking to the 1,100 yard back.  tyler allgeier had almost as many yards (1,035) on 54 less carries.  would you pay him $5-10 million for the year?  of course he's not available, but his team just took a RB in the top 10, so they aren't that impressed with just putting up counting stats.  then again, allgeier averaged 4.9 yards per carry versus 4.4 for cook.  allgeier was a 5th round pick last year

• More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rodgers won more mvps the last 3 years then mahomes.  If he cant do the majority of what mahomes can, this is a total failure.

And Mahomes has won 2 SB in the last few years while Rodgers has won none. Last I checked the goal isn't to win MVPs, it's to win the SB.

8 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

he will be 28 when the season starts, has had injury issues in the past, and has seen a pretty large decline in performance over the last 3 years.

you keep sticking to the 1,100 yard back.  tyler allgeier had almost as many yards (1,035) on 54 less carries.  would you pay him $5-10 million for the year?  of course he's not available, but his team just took a RB in the top 10, so they aren't that impressed with just putting up counting stats.  then again, allgeier averaged 4.9 yards per carry versus 4.4 for cook.  allgeier was a 5th round pick last year

Tyler Allgeier was a 5th round pick.  You can't rely on him!  They'd have been better off signing Fournette!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2